Hookset techniques

d-camarena

Hey guys. Im new to these forums but have been lurking for years. I usually just read and not post but i have some questions for you guys.

Fist of all i almost always fish huddlestons exclusively. And i just throw them stock with the jig hook. Lately ive been throwing some glide baits and wake baits with treble hooks and im having trouble connecting. I usually lose the fish mid battle. Yesterday i lost one on a strike pro swimbait. I threw it out and started cranking real slow. The bait was around 3 or 4 feet deep when a fish hit it. I set the hook hard like with regular jig hooks and the fish was on for about 5 seconds then i felt him unhook himself. Its happend 3 or 4 times this month.

Any suggestions on setting the hook?

Im using a guide select heavy for these smaller baits.

I use more of a "sweeping" technique with treble hook lures.  You need the hard hook set on the big jig hook to drive the hook through the top of the mouth.  Sweep the rod to the side with treble hooks and keep positive pressure on the fish the whole time, don't let it get any slack. 

I use more of a "sweeping" technique with treble hook lures.  You need the hard hook set on the big jig hook to drive the hook through the top of the mouth.  Sweep the rod to the side with treble hooks and keep positive pressure on the fish the whole time, don't let it get any slack. 

is there an advantage to the side sweep over up or down jerks? I have hookset each way with gantarels and don't remember which worked best. I assume side sweep is to try and get the hooks in the side of the mouth?

Thanks for the suggestions. The rod i was using was a 7'11 moderate fast with a lure weight 1-6. Seemed to me like the rod was not the problem. Looking back at what happened im thinking i might have given it enough slack to throw the hook

I tend to sweep to the side just like you would with a rattletrap. We call it a pressure set. It also help you keep the fish down because you're rod is already to the side. Kills me when I see guys fighting fish on treble hook baits with the rod straight up in the air.

Good hooksett is one of the most critical requirements to stay in the the lineup. Very often I find need to marry a particular rod and reel for life to get it right. Braid nonbraid comes into play as well....if I had issue u discuss I would be using a different rig.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I think the only thing that determines where the fish gets hooked depends on the fish in relation to the bait when you set the hook and where the hook is on the bait. I opt for the reel down and apply max pressure on hook set with swimbaits. I sweep to the side always and keep my tip down and pressure on. I always figured when I set high I was encouraging the fish to come up and head shake. I use this method when fishing any type of lure. I try to stay forward on the deck so I can take a couple steps back when setting to really drive the hook home.

Edited by Toledo Rayburn

I have a different rod i can try. Its a little faster and heavier. Maybe i can get better results. But next time out im going to focus and loading the tip and setting the hook with sweep style hookset. I dont get much fishing time and when i do i want to make sure i connect

I throw treble baits alot. I say it depends on the bite. Sometimes the rod loads up and you have to just pull back, but if they smoke the bait, throw slack.in the line or i feel the bite and its not already loading up, i set. Works out pretty good.

I have a different rod i can try. Its a little faster and heavier. Maybe i can get better results. But next time out im going to focus and loading the tip and setting the hook with sweep style hookset. I dont get much fishing time and when i do i want to make sure i connect

I'd say to stick with a moderate type of rod. Stick em good and grind em to the boat with the rod tip in the water and you'll be fine. Also are you using mono,flouro or braid?

I throw treble baits alot. I say it depends on the bite. Sometimes the rod loads up and you have to just pull back, but if they smoke the bait, throw slack.in the line or i feel the bite and its not already loading up, i set. Works out pretty good.

This^