Lexan lips

Lakeshark

I've been doing both. My buddy showed me how to hit the lip with a torch to clear the edges of milling and sanding marks. I can see now on some of the swimbaits I've bought that have had their bill torched.

You glorious bastard! Thanks for the tip!

Designing a bill for each application.

If you are only building a few lures at a time, you can still get away with cutting each lure by hand without having it too time consuming.

If the plan is to make multiple lures of a single pattern, you will need to decide how valuable your time is or you need to ask yourself how much do you enjoy cutting each bill.

There will come a time where everything falls into place and you have a lure you will want to replicate.

After all, you can never have too many lures.

Hi guys, I will try to explain cutting and polishing bills as best as I can.

i prefer a sharp carbide saw/router bit for all precise cuts.....you can use a hand held plexi cutter but it is not the best for this IMO.

after cutting and getting to finished shape ( before installation ) torch time, propane or butane is fine.

good idea to use a smooth jaw plier to hold bill especially if your just trying this for the first time.

apply torch to the edge you want clean and smooth wait for plexi  to just start to melt  and slowly move around all sides you want finished. be careful not to overheat  the bill otherwise it will deform it.

plexi/ polycarbonate/ lexan can all be done this way, be sure and use all appropriate safety equipment. 

Designing a bill for each application.

If you are only building a few lures at a time, you can still get away with cutting each lure by hand without having it too time consuming.

If the plan is to make multiple lures of a single pattern, you will need to decide how valuable your time is or you need to ask yourself how much do you enjoy cutting each bill.

There will come a time where everything falls into place and you have a lure you will want to replicate.

After all, you can never have too many lures.

This is some good info. I guess it does depend if one was making money off the lures and needed to cut down on time and maybe up the consistency when trying to sell a product. I don't mind cutting them, but they don't look as clean as a CNC'd bill either. I appreciate the advice

Hi guys, I will try to explain cutting and polishing bills as best as I can.

i prefer a sharp carbide saw/router bit for all precise cuts.....you can use a hand held plexi cutter but it is not the best for this IMO.

after cutting and getting to finished shape ( before installation ) torch time, propane or butane is fine.

good idea to use a smooth jaw plier to hold bill especially if your just trying this for the first time.

apply torch to the edge you want clean and smooth wait for plexi  to just start to melt  and slowly move around all sides you want finished. be careful not to overheat  the bill otherwise it will deform it.

plexi/ polycarbonate/ lexan can all be done this way, be sure and use all appropriate safety equipment.

Thank you so very much for the lengthy explanation. That's going to help my process. I haven't been using a carbide blade or anything. I'll have to check that out.

Much appreciated