SO............ 2011

BIGSTEVE

Going into my second year with swimbaits, I've got a lot I want to get done, but most importantly:

1. Catch a double digit

2. Learn all my swimbaits inside and out, what they're capable of, what situations they work best in, etc.

3. Expand my swimbait collection :twisted:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....And then in the future my goal is to be known as the BEST BIG BAIT FISHERMAN IN TEXAS!! :shock:

You betcha JT!

Ben Kirkpatrick, Jarrett Latta, and a few others may have something to say about that :D

Oh, and that rookie fella.... :lol:

Hey now i know i have a long way to go!!! But gotta have big goals!!! :mrgreen:

....And then in the future my goal is to be known as the BEST BIG BAIT FISHERMAN IN TEXAS!! :shock:

You betcha JT!

Ben Kirkpatrick, Jarrett Latta, and a few others may have something to say about that :D

Oh, and that rookie fella.... :lol:

Hey now i know i have a long way to go!!! But gotta have big goals!!! :mrgreen:

Always! Whatever you do, try and be the best.

In no particular order:

The year I teach my 6 yr old son, who wants to throw "daddy's big baits", to use a baitcaster (AKA "the reel where you use your thumb").

The first year he fishes a big bass tournament with me.

The year my 4 yr old daughter will probably catch more fish than my son.

The year I find out how similar southern smallies are to the northern smallies I used to love.

The year I don't go on a business trip causing me to miss every freestyle shad sale

The year I get back into night time fishing, this time w/ swimbaits.

The year I go "really" deep

Fish at least one more hour after I've passed the point where I have had enough for the day. (or night). I think mastering persistence is a habit that really produces results. I don't know how many times I've been surprised by a blow up or big grab long after I've shut down for the day. The story of Allan Cole (AC Plugs), catching the Nevada State Striper record after 15 straight days of skunks (would send most guys searching for another hobby!)...is frustrated and just about to leave for the day and at 12:00 noon WHAM! 63lb state record fish!! He said he was literally in shock. Who wouldn't be. Its the struggle to succeed...I've noticed regardless of lakes or lure selection the guys that get the good ones consistently are the guys that fish harder than anyone else. This frustration during slow periods often sends our minds looking for "magic lures" and silver bullets when its really more about staying persistent, flexible, and having fun knowing that it will come.

1 Striped bass over 30.

100 LMB over 5.

1 trout on a swimbait.

For me, it's gotta be learning some better techniques, spots and structure on the lake I fish. I've caught some really nice bass but my biggest have NOT been on swimbaits. My largest bass is only around 3 1/2 lbs on a swimbait (WAY smaller than what I've caught on plastics) unless you count the mongo catfish that I caught and that broke the surface after taking my bait! Thought I had the biggest bass of my life until I started to fight it and then I knew it felt more like a cat.

The shallows get fished too hard in my lake that I'm going to have to find more offshore structure I believe. Get my swimbait down there at the right place and time and hopefully I'll finally get my first DD on a swimbait. The great thing is that every hit you get on a swimbait feels like a DD for the most part! :D

Did I mention get some of the larger 3:16 baits like a 10" freestyle and maybe an LDC rod to throw the really big stuff?! Heck, if I don't catch a huge bass, it at least feels good to use some really nice gear and baits! Makes fishing more enjoyable, at least for me! ;)

Well see what the future holds though for 2011...

This is going to sound like a small goal to most in here but I want to get a 7+, here in New England I think that is a good goal for me and it will be my PB. Also get my dad hooked on the swimbaits more than he is. would like to get him into a 7+ also.

My 2011 plan.Work the deep trout stocked lake more this season with rubber swim-baits (Hudds + 3:16 Rising Son) as soon as lakes are ice free. I feel my best chance for a New England DD is to concentrate on well stocked deep clear waters both days and nights. My best last season was from a clear deep trout lake that went 7.9lbs.I feel there are a few northern strain smart 10lb+ swimming in my waters so I’m on a 2011 DD mission.

post-229-14252984807898_thumb.jpg

My 2011 plan.Work the deep trout stocked lake more this season with rubber swim-baits (Hudds + 3:16 Rising Son) as soon as lakes are ice free. I feel my best chance for a New England DD is to concentrate on well stocked deep clear waters both days and nights. My best last season was from a clear deep trout lake that went 7.9lbs.I feel there are a few northern strain smart 10lb+ swimming in my waters so I’m on a 2011 DD mission.

Hey Dan,

Your unyielding commitment and passion continually ring through loud and clear and the proof is in your pictures. If anyone has a true shot at a 10+ lb bass in New England, I believe you're at the front of the pack. Go get em' Dan!

I look forward to congratulating you on that accomplishment, what a day that's gonna be.

BBI

:D

• 2 months later...

spring is finally here in oregon, and im not gonna pretend im only gonna throw a swimbait as my plan, na i got goals to fulfill.... the swords cool and all but a lot of times the jig bites a big bite! but im looking forward to this year swimbaits or not im gonna stick some pigs.