Swimbaits for sunfish/baby bass eaters

mcaetano2905

In most lakes where I live (in Portugal) bass are northern strain and eat mostly pumpkinseed sunfish, baby bass and in some lakes bleak (a fish usually from 4 to 6" similar to a shiner or shad. It forms some schools that roam near the surface along the shores and open water). Some lakes have carp and they eat crawdads a lot too.

I fished an 8" Hudd with no success (not even a follower) and also some 6" and 68 special Hudds with no bites in many hours in many trips over some years. I had some success on a 7" bass colored MS Slammer (over some years one bass around 4lbs and one that got away), a Mattlures Baby Bass (caught the same 4lb bass a few months later :) ), and caught one almost 5lbs (almost my PB) last summer on the S-Waver 168 (bluegill color) and this year I already caught one bass almost 4lbs on a S-Waver 168, Party Crasher color, in a lake with bleak (that color really looks like a bleak).

I'm looking for a good soft swimbait to fish specially in the colder months in these lakes. I only fish from the bank, so, I don't want an expensive bait that's easy to snag... I was thinking about the 5.8" Keitech, the 6" Weedless Optimum Boom Boom or the Beast Coast Tungsten & Tackle Miyagi Swimmer. Which one is the best swimbait for fishing slowly on or near the bottom? I want the one that still kicks at very slow speeds. Also, if you fish lakes where pumpkinseed is the main forage I would like to know which swimbaits you fish.

I really love the S-Waver 168 and the Gantarel Jr (but still haven't caught a fish on it) and I really think I'll finally have a new PB this year! I just want to add a good soft bait that works in these lakes.

I'm sure all of you know what a pumpkinseed sunfish looks like but you don't have bleak in the USA, so, here are some pictures of them:

post-21646-0-45563000-1488620384_thumb.jpg

post-21646-0-38244300-1488620419_thumb.jpg

Keitechs work well, they have lots of vibration. Stick with the Gantarel it's a fish catcher. Matt lures for bluegill imitations. And 3:16 minnows seems to be a favorite but I haven't got to fish them yet, they could simulate that baitfish in the photo. Good luck!

I know you want a soft bait but how about the Gantarel. It's well priced so loosing it isn't going to break the bank. More importantly it floats but gets down about 3 feet on the retrieve. Great gill pattern.

Black Dog's G2 Shellcracker is also a great 'budget" hardbait.

Those 2 lures changed my fishing and got me hooked on swimbaits.

316 minnow can be rigged weedless, will thump enough and you can get a sexy shad like color (I think mickey calls it chatreuse shad) which will mimic the bleak very nicely.

Mattlures soft gill and hard gill in pumpkin would work very well.

Keitechs on a swim jig will get you bit a whole lot also. Dirty jigs makes a great swim jig and lots of color options.

Edited by natalex85

Thank you all for your replies! I think I'll try the Mattlures Bluegill and the Keitechs. :) I have 2 U2 Bluegills in the pumpkinseed color but didn't got bit yet. I almost stopped fishing them. They don't run true, so, I don't have much confidence when fishing them. I also have a Ultimate Gill in the Bluegill color. I'm going to fish right now and I'll tell you if I catch a big one! ;)