Night fishing

fishaholic211

I prefer to throw topwaters at night. I normally go with a 8" TT or 8" ROF 0 Hudd. It is just my preference because I fish a stump filled reservoir and if I snag a bait, it is a pain in the ass trying to get to it to free it in the dark. I hear the bait and for whatever reason am more comfortable with that when I can't see it.

Take a couple of different bait. Pack small. Bait wise atleast a couple of floats, mid depth, and at the bottom. Example float freestyle shad (pink or white, black), mid depths rising sun bottom hook (pink or white, black or black chartuse), and the bottom maybe a top hook rising sun in ( chartuse, white or pink). This just an example on somethings I bring u can change it up just make surr uhave the three depths to figure out where they are. One thing try doing some dead sticking. Maybe an og or og version two. Click it and let it sit for a min. Deadly!

Structure wise look for tulis, rock piles, and docks. I usually try to tackle all areas i would do in the day. Just remember head lamp and small flashlight! I usually go out with a friend but i do go alone alot. Always be safe and let someone know where u are fishing and brig a bladed for protection. A blade is a must i have some crazy stores where i was being chased in the woods and was like 5 mIle away from my truck!

have fun and trust me when I say night fishing is the sheeet! The fish to me seems like they are less pressured then the day.

Def. check out the areas in day light first. For the most part fish the same baits that you would fish during the day. Same baits but darker colors. I pretty much fish on or very near the bottem and on or very near the surface.

Slammers, Wake Jr. and Rising Sons have been the most productive for me.

About 50% of my swimbait work in CO is done at night, from ice-out to ice-on. During the colder months I throw Hudds and slow-roll them in. As it gets warmer, wakebaits like Slammers or even rats worked very slowly get the nod.

Pay attention to what others have said about first seeing the area by day - you need to know where you're fishing and have a plan. Don't forget to let someone know where you'll be and when you intend to get off the water. I almost always night fish with a buddy, so at the very least someone can tell my wife, "well, there was this big splash and some yelling, and then it go quiet...and can you believe that he didn't even think to leave his swimbait box on the shore?!!

About 50% of my swimbait work in CO is done at night, from ice-out to ice-on. During the colder months I throw Hudds and slow-roll them in. As it gets warmer, wakebaits like Slammers or even rats worked very slowly get the nod.

Pay attention to what others have said about first seeing the area by day - you need to know where you're fishing and have a plan. Don't forget to let someone know where you'll be and when you intend to get off the water. I almost always night fish with a buddy, so at the very least someone can tell my wife, "well, there was this big splash and some yelling, and then it go quiet...and can you believe that he didn't even think to leave his swimbait box on the shore?!!

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I think the same baits that are seasonally correct for the day time will get bit' just the same (sometimes better) at night. Wake baits are what I throw much of the year but they are definitely more effective in warmer water. When the waters cold I would personally keep much of your fishing subsurface (even if its running just a few inches below the surface) and slow. Hudds/rising sons/slow sink hardbaits. Make lots of parallel casts to the shoreline-I believe the bigger fish will come up shallow to feed and feel more comfortable doing so under the cover of darkness so don't walk along any spots you haven't at least cast to first. Scan for landmarks during the day so that you can avoid unnecessary snags and also target the prime structure. Those things are harder to detect at night. Otherwise, just enjoy the lack of crowds and the fact that when you figure out a bite you can almost have the fish entirely to yourself so its definitely worthwhile.....love the nights....ninja style...hahahhahahhahaha

JK

All of above..... + Main lakes points, large flatts areas can be good, Wake Jrs, Rat baits are a couple of my favorites for night time, Does the large Pike Jitterbug fall under swimbaits

Alright Jonel lets hear the story dude :?:

Whatever Jfish said. LOL. The only thing I would add is the importance of accurate casting. Like anything else, practice makes perfect. Accurate cast = more chances of big fish. At first I struggled casting accurately at night, hitting docks, concrete wall and banged a few baits. But I kept at it till I've gotten better and I've been more than happy with the results, as you can see with my smiles on my pics. :lol:

Night time is the right time.........not too many people around me chuck swimbaits, and even less at night. The fish aren't used to seeing that presentation and I believe are more likely to bite simply for that reason. The best is the mid-summer night bite on a wake bait. I love the anticipation, and the the explosion.......if that don't get your blood flowing you're not and American :lol:

I love fishing @ night,night time hides the flaws in your presentation,three things to remember when fishing at night when it comes to your bait selection.

1.Profile-I believe @ night profiles more important than color but thats just my opinion go out side when its dark take a bait with you put the bait in front of the moon..what color is it??

2.Water displacement-different size and style baits move water differently for example soft platic tails,numbers of joints

3.Sound-pick your bait up clack the joints together shake em pay attention the differences and if one sound type isnt working try another,for example a pb rat sounds waaay different from a slammer,number of joints also affect sound.

Once the water hits 60 degrees myfishing changes to what I like to call VAMPYRE :twisted: LIFE!

Ill fish almost exclusivly at night half because its so hot in the day the other half because I dont want people seeing me fish and also cuz theres no jet skis at night. :lol:

and to add what people already said learn the area during the day,work the shore line like a piece of cover im talking within inches of it,and remember slooow and steady pays the bills @ night. Jfish dropped a jewel on you by telling you to cast before walkin next to shore.Pay attention to where you are walking if you are casting a shadow on the water MOVE! because you are spooking fish,IF you are walking on rocks tred lightly they amplify sound especially when you are knocking them over,never step on anything that runs into the water(dock cables,logs) YOU ARE spooking fish!

now my last point,headlamps...no white light go red or even better black and always turn from the water when you have it on and red and black headlamps will save your night vision.

sorry for my grammer