Swimbaits in general...discouraged.

SKSlide

I could start with the dumb expression that people use, but I won't ( you know, the one that says , "That's why they call it fishing........"). Throwing Swimbaits is a different ballgame, in my opinion. I love it because it raises the prospect of you catching the biggest fish in the lake, and I don't think it's for everyone. If you have what I call , "Igottacatchfishtohavefunitis", then swimbaiting is probably not for you. Let me explain: I have a friend who typifies this very thing. He does throw Swimbaits , has some good gear for it and good baits, but just can't stick to it too much because he just has to catch something. So he picks up another rod, whether it's a worm, crankbait, or whatever, and most of the time the swimbait rod stays on the deck. That's his prerogative, I think until you really and truly have stuck good sized fish or had good success with Swimbait's, you just may not have the confidence to throw them all day. I always have a swimbait or two tied on, I do like to fish Jigs and top waters , but I mainly fish swimbaits because I want to get the feel of what I am doing with each of the different baits and have a better chance to catch a big fish. Fishing is about patience, but swimbaiting requires a big extra scoop of patience to really be successful. I just enjoy being out on the water, fishing and enjoying the wildlife, I don't have to catch anything to enjoy myself, but that's me.

One thing I can suggest is to go to lakes that have Big fish potential. That may give you more confidence to keep throwing them.

Don't give up. This is the best support group for anglers. We all struggle with it, even with lure presentations that we have been successful with before. Our skill level is based on how patient we are, a matter of luck or just being at the right place at the right time. I guarantee you if you keep throwing swimmers, you will cross paths with a fish that eats them. Make sure you spend your spare time planning and fishing if you can do so.

Fishing is supposed to be fun.  There's not as much fun in being a fishing snob.  Trout snob, Ranger Boat snob, bass snob, swimbatit snob, etc.  If you want to fish some other stuff that's fine.  If you want to only fish swimbaits that's fine too.  Its all good.

Try to stick with it. All you need is one monster fish and you will not let go of swimbait.

Before swimbait back up north I would catch over 1,200 bass a season with 1 or 2 over 5 pounds. After swimbait I would catch half the fish but 15-20 where over 5 lbs.

Down here I had over 40 over 5.

You should be able to get multiple fish on Swimbait ever time you fish. Yes you will have the occasional skunk but it shouldn't go on for more then one weekend.

If you are catching them on a top water bait you should be able to get them on a 6" punker. Find areas that may hold bigger fish and work at them.

Good luck

Wayne is 100 percent right. If you're not having fun tossing swimbaits, throw traditional gear. No big deal, just enjoy the time on the water. For me since I hooked a few good bass on swimbaits I've been hooked on them ever since and I enjoy every part. The gear, the bait, casting them, paying attention to the bait on the retrieve, seeing followers etc. Love it all. Do what feels right

You could go out and stick 5 or 6 fish on a trip throwing swimbaits, then go 4 or 5 weeks and not get one. If this was easy, everyone would do it. I know a 5 pounder is a "good" fish, but for me I am trying to get the biggest bass in the lake EVERY single time I am out chuckin. Its not for everyone, it just isn't. In the summer I love to toss a frog or biuzzbait but day in and day out I am throwing big baits for big fish. Sticking a 5 or 6 pounder is not even close to setting the hook on a 10 pound plus fish. They dont just eat because its slow or big....they are big for a reason. Way smarter and experienced than any 5 pounder. If you stick with it it will pay off. Learn all you can, fish all you can, learn big fish behavior, and it will all come together. Good luck dude.

Thanks for the replies and for the discussion. I do feel that some of it is my region and some of it is time and patience as some of you have touched on. Don't get me wrong here guys, I am not quitting and feel like I'm just getting started. I do enjoy throwing swimbaits very much. Nothing is as much fun to throw in my opinion. I am not 100% swimbaits and not likely to ever be. There is one lake where we have success with the Huddleston 6 inch , Deps 175 , Ospreys, and other swimbaits but we've had great and slim days there. We've had many multiple swimbait fish days there. Confidence at other lakes on swims is hard to come by so far but again, I won't quit.

1 advise I could give is find out a lake in your area that produces big fish and dedicate yourself throwing swimbaits in that 1 lake. Find big fish areas in that particular lake and access your productivity with swimbaits after fishing it 1 year to 2 years. Trying to fish swimbaits in too many lakes when you don't have a clue or confidence how to catch them on swimbaits will destroy your confidence if you don't have success.

For me the first few SB fish came real hard .  But I am glad i stuck with it because in time it paid off . I still go back to yesteryear baits when I need to feel a tug in a hurry.    The part that made in rewarding was I started getting good quality  fish regularly at a place that was getting pounded like a $2 crack ho.

post-20464-0-18305100-1492911568_thumb.jpg

post-20464-0-59677100-1492911688_thumb.jpg

post-20464-0-15476700-1492912058_thumb.jpg

Edited by billyo

You are not alone. I'm trying to make the swimbait conversion, but I still will sometimes bring a conventional rod with a big worm, jig or topwater. I have my shutouts , but I have a one over six and one over seven recently. I try to keep the quality over quantity thought process. Yes, my friends may catch 8 , 2 pounders, but I'd rather catch one 6 pounder. For me I feel like I just have to refine my swimbait process.

Jesus christ, bring a box of tissues and some midol on your next trip.

Seriously dude every one of your replies on this threads have been negative shots at OP, I won't tell you what you should or shouldn't say but I will tell people when they're being an ass. The poor guy's just looking for some encouragement during a slump I'm sure we've all been in. 

Edited by NEbucketmouth19

Im gonna throw this out there. I dont know how experienced everyone is with bass fishing in general but I think alot of guys start with swims before they understand what the fish are doing and how to adjust to them. I have a few young guys that get baits from me, they are in their teens. They can get very frustrated using bigger baits. But they dont really know how to apply them or where to throw them. Thats their number one complaint. Its sounds dumb, but your throw them where the fish are. If your pretty new to fishing in general or dont understand what the fish are doing and why its gonna be a tough road with anything, especially big baits. 

as for your situation it sounds like the fish were keying on smaller baitfish hitting the buzzjet and blade. if the fish are keying in on a particular bait size or there plain isnt an abundance on large prey in the body of water your fishing that makes getting a bite on large baits that much harder. Bigger is definitely not always better. and if your not having fun screw that. whats the point if it sucks, throw what gets bit