Muskie Topwaters?

Nolan Aker

that may be a killer night bait! i need to try it

I have a luv hate relationship with the bait. They work great but finishes don't hold up....they r like ur fav rooster tail for Hatchery trout fishing, you basically have to replace em once a year.

Growing up in central Wisconsin I had numerous bass catches day and night on the mouldeys hawg wobbler as mentioned earlier. I still have a black one I use for night fishing here and do pretty good with it. Don't forget about the magnum musky sized jitterbugs too. We had lots of accidental bass catches with those also.

• 3 years later...
On 5/22/2021 at 9:21 PM, Kyle1387 said:

Gonna dredge this topic up as I've started watching today's anglers musky vids quite a bit. Anyone try tossing a flap tail for bass? The bait looks dumb as hell but seems to just get those musky fired up 

Had never heard of this lure and had to Google it. You are correct, that's gotta be one of the dumbest-looking lures I've seen.

2 hours ago, 168 Rookie said:

Had never heard of this lure and had to Google it. You are correct, that's gotta be one of the dumbest-looking lures I've seen.

Go watch a today's angler video. They get chewed and I don't get it!

36 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I mean, I guess you should never completely count out a lure, but if bass eat spinner baits and senkos, i'm sure one would eat this in the right mood, right?

I mean it makes sense. Same idea as a crawler. Slow, super loud movement just not sure if I wanna drop 60 on one

39 minutes ago, Kyle1387 said:

I mean it makes sense. Same idea as a crawler. Slow, super loud movement just not sure if I wanna drop 60 on one

The action looks great,  seems like the tail would be good in low light too.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:21 PM, Kyle1387 said:

Gonna dredge this topic up as I've started watching today's anglers musky vids quite a bit. Anyone try tossing a flap tail for bass? The bait looks dumb as hell but seems to just get those musky fired up 

Wildlures has a flap tail type bait that they use for bass in JP

7 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Wildlures has a flap tail type bait that they use for bass in JP

Thanks for the info. It hit me today that the rugged thumbs duck is Essentially one as well. Just smaller profile and 2 blades instead of one

On 5/20/2017 at 12:23 PM, Nolan Aker said:

Ok guys, one of my first posts on here was asking about muskie baits for bass. Mind you, this was before I understood what the whole swimbait thing was about.

I know this is an old statement, but I'm new here and curious about this.  Can anyone explain?  IE Big lures vs Swimbaits

The one bait that was promoted here at some point for bass was the beaver lure. It is basically a jig with a nice hair ball attached. Owner patented it so I figured he was onto something. I threw it once and didn't see the plastic tail kicking very much. I didn't have much confidence in the action but I will keep trying.