Opinions on Mexico

tckwilson

Thinking of taking a trip to Mexico to fish for some giant bass. I just wanted to get some input from those that have been. Which lake, what time of year and approx. cost that sort of thing. Any other things you wish you knew before you went. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

I went to Bacarac in March. We drove from Tucson to Hermosillo one day in our personal trucks, then 12 of us in a Mercedes van all the way to Los Mochis, Sin.  Several of the hispanics in our group were some pretty well off guys and had some clout. We got bumped thru several checkpoints without having to be searched or show papers. Checkpoints aren't a huge issue, just take a bunch of time and make a long day of driving longer. DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT!

I think the safest way to go on a trip anywhere down there is an all inclusive deal with a guide service to a lake like El Salto. Fly out of Dallas to a small airport near the lake. The lodge will pick you up and take you back. The guide services down there need the business and go out of their way to keep people safe and put you on big fish. Our guides kept asking us to tell our friends to come

One of the guys I went with told his guide the first morning that he would give him an extra $100 tip if he put him on a 10 lber. That guide worked his azz off to get that tip, two days later my bud got an 11.3 and the guide got his $$.  I'm a dumbazz and didn't offer that kind of tip, was kind of on a budget for this trip. I'd give $300 and my left nut for a $10 lber now! Guides said June is the best month for big fish at Bacarac. Most fish were caught on jigs and soft swimbaits slow rolled on the bottom and one group caught em good on a heavy scrounger head with a big soft swimbait trailer.

On a side note I just got back from 4 days at lake Novillo. I was catching them good on a 7.8 Fat Impact on a 10/0, 3/4 oz Trokar hook slow rolled on the bottom. Biggest was a 5.8 and one day caught over 40 on this set-up, between 3.25 and 4 1/2 lbs. My bud got over 100 one day on a jig. 

Now I'll go fish the Sub tourney from Canyon lake for 3 days for one bite. Fishing down south can ruin a guy.

"I have searched the internet and did a lot searches here as well. I am really looking for someone with recent personal experience. Thanks"

Check sdfish.com, a guy recently went to baccarac in november by himself and said had no issues. I'm surprised your Google search didn't bring him up.

Edited by Tony91723