Opinions on Mexico

tckwilson

My brother and I went to El Salto last February (2017) and had a good time, not one hint of trouble. Keep the tilapia netting in mind when going there, it’s better to be there when the nets are out. It’s a two weeks on and two weeks off deal.

Heading to Lake Comedero in April 2018, looking forward to that. It’s a little further into the Sierra Madre mountains but it’s bigger than Salto and has less pressure.

I have heard one story about some trouble on the water with thieves but haven’t seen or heard from the people I spoke with while we were at the lodge.

I just went to Baccarac the first week of November this year.

I didn't feel unsafe at any point in Mexico. I felt more uneasy in Atlanta than I did in MX.

hahaha wayne's right!  hell i live in atlanta and feel the same way about traveling.  been to mexico 8-10 times, never fishing, but never felt once unsafe.  can't say the same about a handful of places i've been in the US though!

Years ago I was in Phoenix area and there was discussion of pirates. Apparently there is a police presence consisting of a boat with a gatlin gun mounted on it to patrol the area. That was enough to spook me. Falcon is one lake I would like to fish.

Edited by bigpoppabass

Yeah, after watching a bunch of the videos on Comendero it has me contemplating a trip down there...  The $3500+ price tag for a week has me second guessing though.

I caught my PB (12lb 8oz) earlier this year at Chickamauga and $3500 will buy a ton of baits, food and hotel rooms there...  Plus, staying in the US my Glock will be on my side and security won't be an issue!

As Tony91723 pointed out, I'm the one who went to Baccarac earlier this month. It was my first time ever going to Mexico for bass fishing and I flew by myself. Never felt unsafe and highly recommend it to anyone. Swimbait bite wasn't happening when I got there but a bunch of guys who went in November SLAYED em up to 12lbs on swimbaits. Big 1oz jigs with 7" black senkos were the ticket. On my last day I caught a 9.8, 9.1, 7.8, 7.12, 6.94 and some 5s. Several fish over 10 were caught while I was there.

Already booked my trip for Oct 2018!