Teeth and Swimbaits

peter_the_fox

Hey guys, so up North everything is frozen and it's super depressing. Anyways, got me thinking - what's the most expensive bait you're willing to throw in a lake with Pike/musky/other toothy lure snatchers? Cuz where I fish, there aren't a lot of waterways w/o Pike or muskies.

I find myself topping out the willingness scale at like 50 bucks. I don't want a 3 pound Pike taking a Hinkle away forever...I think I would cry.

I stick to my traditional musky baits like meeps giant killers or 5 of diamond spoons. A reason for this is they hook em well....big SBS are notorious for causing problems hooking because the fish grabs the bait midsection without getting hooked. When fish releases bait to turn it as it would big prey to swallow the bait is pulled away....

the water I fish doesn't have pike but we do have muskie and it still throw my big baits like my mother and deps 250 its risky and sometimes sketchy but it does pay off. Its all up to you and if your willing to take the risk to throw big baits where they could just disappear. Had a muskie follow my deps 250 last year and I just killed it and he lost interest. Thank god lol. 

Hey guys, so up North everything is frozen and it's super depressing. Anyways, got me thinking - what's the most expensive bait you're willing to throw in a lake with Pike/musky/other toothy lure snatchers? Cuz where I fish, there aren't a lot of waterways w/o Pike or muskies.

I find myself topping out the willingness scale at like 50 bucks. I don't want a 3 pound Pike taking a Hinkle away forever...I think I would cry.

I got the same problem - I've watched countless videos on how to deal with Pike for swimbaits and I feel like it's a huge diceroll. Buying expensive lures from the US that aren't easy to access, makes me even more leery of dropping big dough. I can't just walk into Cabela's or Crappy Tire and pick up a Deps, S-Waver or Huddleston.

Grab a few stealth tackle flouro leaders and you can throw whatever you want without worry. 

http://www.stealthtackle.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_2&product_id=3

Bass up here won't take with a leader...even flurocarbon - I think it's the clasp or something idk. Plus I guide for pike and don't like fluro for em, I've seen them break way too many times

A Hinkle and a $50 lure are quite a ways apart. If you are ok with losing $50 lures you should be ok. Basically there are economical/affordable options for everything. Depends what u will have the most confidence in. Up until this point I have done quite well with certain bags of plastics and hooks/jig heads. Not costing anywhere near $50. The lure is just part of the puzzle. Still have to find the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Up here in the north it's always a gamble on weather you're willing to throw the big baits for big bass. You never know what toothy critter is going to pop up, still gives me nightmares to watch that pike swim away with my i slide 262:(