Philosophy

Loganodum38

Id like to know everyone else's opinions on this. i think he has very valid points.  I am first an foremost a "swimbaiter", although for years and years a 12 inch manns jelly worm was my go to big fish bait and i still thoroughly enjoy fishing it. i have 1000 packs of them. also love to throw big mop jigs with  full size brush hog trailers when everyone on my tournament team at my university says " go finese" ( i never listen lol).  ive seen hand poured 7 inch craws, i know people who throw 14 inch lizards, heard of some people throwing 16" worms in mexico, even seen oliver ngy throwing big oversized spinnerbaits made in Australia for musky i believe. As all of us are fascinated with big baits i figured this would be a nice video for some of you guys to see and would like your input on it. i think this philosophy can be very effective and makes alot of sense.

"Swimbait or Die" - BABC

It may sound arrogant/foolish to some, but for me it's all about the pursuit of bass with swimbaits as my dedicated tool of choice. 100% agreed that swimbaits are not always the best choice to catch fish, but it makes the reward seem greater if you commit to throwing them even when it's hard to. It's a greater personal accomplishment I guess...I've really experienced this by making my own baits. Nothing about my swimbaits makes them any more special than any other baits out there necessarily, but all the labor and planning and pain I put into them makes catching a fish on them WAY more special. It's to the point where I can't put my own baits down even when I see a giant fish in front of me and I know she'd eat a big crank, spinnerbaits, or even live bait for that matter!

That being said, I think it really depends on why you fish. Is it about the journey and the struggle or just the end result of catching fish? Neither is a wrong motive to have, but some care more about how they achieve their goals rather than how effectively/quickly they can do so. My thinking is that if catching trophy bass is all that mattered, then there should be no difference between tossing a swimbait during prespawn and throwing a live bluegill at a bedding bass during the spawn. For me personally, I'll stick with swimbaits. I may miss the fish of a lifetime doing so, but at least I won't have any regrets of catching her on something else.

My obsession is big bass, putting a big bass in the boat. Just like he said swim baits are a big part the arsenal. I'm not a method fisherman, if I get that monster follow on a swim bait I come back an hour or two later with the sonar off and try to let the breeze blow me within range and throw a jig or what ever I think is going to get it done.

I am so glad someone brought up this topic; I've been thinking about this (long Illinois winter) and had seen that video.  In addition, I've seen negative comments on videos especially centering around the Roman made or Deps lures, since they're expensive. You've seen the "I could've caught that bait on a cheap x lure or live bait, etc." type comments I'm sure.  

In reality if catching a trophy is the prime importance nothing will outfish live bait. But what have you accomplished by doing that over and over again? 

The only thing that prevents me from exclusively throwing a Deps 250 is muskies, but I'll probably just have to suck that up and fish.  I don't get much time to fish so when I do I want to fish with something I enjoy and nothing is funner to me than fishing a Deps 250.  

I read an article about the young fellow in Japan who holds the current LM bass record (or shares it with Perry); I think he held the Biwa lake record on a Roman Mother, but caught the world record on a live bluegill. You could tell even though he was happy to catch it he wishes it woud've come on a lure, especially a swimbait. 

Great topic, thanks!

I’m sort of right there with Dan. The only thing I disagree on is that(if we are talking big fish) I believe a Swimbait is ALWAYS the best way to catch them. It’s not just that it’s the only way I want to catch them, it’s that I believe this is my best chance for catching giant fish over any other method. So it’s swimbaits or die for me, but not cuz I’m arrogant or stubborn about it. It’s cuz it’s my confidence technique if I want big fish

Just my opinion I think that when swimbaits became the "cool" trendy thing to fish it became more about what people had than what they actually fished. And what they actually fished was still a different thing than baits they actually caught fish on. Anyone can throw a swimbait for a couple casts and them throw a senko for the rest of the day and catch 1lbers. While I do believe in bigger baits in general across the board, I also beleieve that there are of course times of the year when it's possible to catch bigger bass on small baits. What I don't believe in is the attitude by some guys who "swimbait or die" that anything not caught on the swimbait of the month is somehow below them and doesn't count. Most of them are closet senko throwers anyway.

Just my opinion I think that when swimbaits became the "cool" trendy thing to fish it became more about what people had than what they actually fished. And what they actually fished was still a different thing than baits they actually caught fish on. Anyone can throw a swimbait for a couple casts and them throw a senko for the rest of the day and catch 1lbers. While I do believe in bigger baits in general across the board, I also beleieve that there are of course times of the year when it's possible to catch bigger bass on small baits. What I don't believe in is the attitude by some guys who "swimbait or die" that anything not caught on the swimbait of the month is somehow below them and doesn't count. Most of them are closet senko throwers anyway.

I disagree with the perception of "swimbait or die" in this regard

To me..I am "swimbait or die".. not because it's cool.. tho it is.. and I don't care what other guys throw..I show up with only swims.. I've entered all tackle tourneys and lost only throwing swims.. I've gone out with buddies on trips and have skunked while they clean up on jigs

I really enjoy catching fish on swimbaits but if I don't get bit I'm still really enjoying watching my bait swim.. learning what dif actions I can get with what baits..I wish it produced as much as other tactics but its fine when it doesn't..I do not enjoy throwing senkos or anything finesse..

Swimbait or Die

I disagree with the perception of "swimbait or die" in this regard

To me..I am "swimbait or die".. not because it's cool.. tho it is.. and I don't care what other guys throw..I show up with only swims.. I've entered all tackle tourneys and lost only throwing swims.. I've gone out with buddies on trips and have skunked while they clean up on jigs

I really enjoy catching fish on swimbaits but if I don't get bit I'm still really enjoying watching my bait swim.. learning what dif actions I can get with what baits..I wish it produced as much as other tactics but its fine when it doesn't..I do not enjoy throwing senkos or anything finesse..

Swimbait or Die

We probably see it in a different light because I work in the industry. I know people on this site who have made their first 20 posts about buying a pats only to sell them in a couple months and I see them buying senkos twice a month now haha. Don't get me wrong I threw the same bait for 4 years 40 hours a week because I loved to fish it. Nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately I don't think that is the overall attitude of most of the "swimbaiters" you come across outside of this site.

I am so glad someone brought up this topic; I've been thinking about this (long Illinois winter) and had seen that video.  In addition, I've seen negative comments on videos especially centering around the Roman made or Deps lures, since they're expensive. You've seen the "I could've caught that fish on a cheap x lure or live bait, etc." type comments I'm sure.  

In reality if catching a trophy is the prime importance nothing will outfish live bait. But what have you accomplished by doing that over and over again? 

The only thing that prevents me from exclusively throwing a Deps 250 is muskies, but I'll probably just have to suck that up and fish.  I don't get much time to fish so when I do I want to fish with something I enjoy and nothing is funner to me than fishing a Deps 250.  

I read an article about the young fellow in Japan who holds the current LM bass record (or shares it with Perry); I think he held the Biwa lake record on a Roman Mother, but caught the world record on a live bluegill. You could tell even though he was happy to catch it he wishes it woud've come on a lure, especially a swimbait. 

Great topic, thanks!

edited for content...

Edited by kdatwe

I agree with it. I have big frogs, big worms, big lots of things. I am out there to catch the biggest fish I can and I will use what I feel is the best tool. I think a lot of times that tool is something that is a big meal for the big bass. That might be a 12" worm, it might be a 1oz jig, or a 6" crawfish. But it also might be a slammer, a glidebait, a hudd...and it could also be a 4" ned rig because some days you really just don't know what the fish are thinking. 

What is attractive to me about swimbait fishing is there's a certain added excitement knowing the class of fish capable of eating that lure. If I fish a jig all day, yea sure I might catch an 8lber but every hookset I am not expecting that, I am expecting an average size fish and if it is a big fish I get more excited as the fight ensues and I realize it. 

But with swimbait fishing it is reversed, I know that most likely, any bite I get is going to be a special fish, and while small fish are still capable of getting hooked on these bigger baits I will realize that later after I hook them. Basically for some reason for me the most exciting part of fishing is the bite and hookset, it's in that moment after hours, or days, or weeks of fishing you finally connect with what you are after. And with swimbait fishing it is in that moment that the "high" of fishing is at it's peak at that moment. You get bit and in that brief moment before you realize the actual size of the fish, you think you just hooked the lake record, and the best part, you just may have. It's that thrill that excites me and keeps me motivated. 

I guess in essence the pyschological aspect for me lies in expectations. If you set the bar high and are able to not allow yourself to come crashing down when you fail, then it just adds to the whole experience and makes it that much sweeter when you do actually meet your expectations. 

I don`t really care. I just love to fish, thats all. I love fishing with live bait, dead bait, flyfishing, carp fishing, Perch fishing, using all the different lures on the market.

For me its all about the fun factor. Many times I go fishing I even dont know the species I am going to fish until I hit the water.

I just do what excites me the most.

Where I live in SW Michigan when fishing for largemouth I divide lures into 2 categories . I have lures that I consider 1 to 3 lures meaning that the majority of fish I catch are 1 to 3 lbs with a few outliers that are bigger or smaller than that . Dropshots, smaller crankbaits, 1/4 oz poppers etc are the type of lures in that category. My other category is the 3 to 5 baits, with the majority of fish that I will land being 3 to 5 lbs with some outliers that are bigger or smaller than that. Big worms , oversized jigs and certainly 6 inch plus swimbaits tend to fall in this category. Keep in mind this isn't California or Florida, a 5 lbs Bass is big in this area and a 6 plus is a very big bass for our area. 

That said I tend to fish mostly 3 to 5 baits as I categorize them with the majority of time featuring large swimbaits , that said I'm interested in catching big fish and apart from live bait will throw whatever I feel is best for the situation. 

From what I've observed this doesn't apply as much with smallmouth as 20 lb plus stringers are often caught in our state with drop shots, tubes etc. which is why I'm probably one of the rare northern fisherman who prefers fishing for largemouth as they tend to fit my fishing style more. 

Edited by Primus

I dont agree with swimbait or die. For me its just going out and having fun. I throw conventional bait all the time- i dont post my "other than swimbait" catches on here though. I also never caught a fish off a "real big" swimbait either,, now saying that- i want one real bad so im upping the size of swimbaits consideraby too and gonna stick with it. Also fly fish and havent touched my fly set up in 2yrs- another goal i have. I have placed at the lake i fish that i know what the monsters are biting on and what. I know this deep ledge that in the heat of summer a rattle trap will drive the biggest baddest lake monster out like mad- so im gonna throw something else swimbait wise thatll duplicate that. Senkos are kinda passive and boring- so im gonna get one of them matts dead twich and try that lol. Im just in no hurry too- i can spend all day throwing knowing i tried this spot this time of year and it goes down on the calendar as not to do that again.

• 7 months later...