Picky Old Girl

IdahoJoe

First Post WOOO!! 

I've been stalking the forum for awhile now trying to see what I can gather before asking any questions but I finally got something that I'm struggling with. 

Found an old fish in a 2 acer pond, I would say 8+ pounds and she won't eat a anything... Found her this fall when she ate two small 8in bass I was fighting. to keep it short I'll list what I've tried. 

Strong Bass: Day 

Hudd 6/8 Weedless: Night (caught a fish, not her)

8in WRS: Night & Day  

7in WRS: Day

5in WRS flashy swimmer: Night 

7in 3pc Slammer: Night

Hardgill: Night & day (missed a fish in the evening, might have been her)

Slyguy glide perch: Night & Day 

I try to focus around the full and new moons different style retrieves but nothing is really happening. 

I'm in southern Alabama and the spawn is on. haven't found her bed 

Water is Clear 6ft Vis

I see her occasionally when I fish it seems like she is following me down the bank. She is always on the same side of the pond moderate depth 5-8ft around hard structure (couple downed trees). I try to come in at different angles but obviously from the bank thats limited. Now that its starting to warm up the bottom of the pond is getting pretty weedy making it hard to work hudds. 

What would you do? 

First Post WOOO!! 

Found her this fall when she ate two small 8in bass I was fighting.

I've paid the tax man before but not with a goddamn bass, crazy....

One thing that stands out to me in this situation is you say you notice her following you down the bank. You're only seeing her when she wants you to, which means she isn't scared of you. She's coming out because she knows you're there.

To me, it sounds like the only way you're gonna trick this fish is to catch her off guard. I'd wait for a super windy day or the next good rain storm you have - and get out there during the weather. Maybe some commotion on the surface will be enough to hide your presence

I'd wait for a super windy day or the next good rain storm you have - and get out there during the weather. Maybe some commotion on the surface will be enough to hide your presence

Agreed...I've had my best days when it's so windy that I can't see anything in the water. If you can see her then she can most likely see you and will automatically know that something isn't right. She may not be afraid of you, but that doesn't mean she's not cautious. I've noticed this a lot with small ponds...stealth is extremely important. You may only make a couple casts before every big fish in the water is aware of your presence. 

Already knowing her common hangout location is HUGE! I would sneak up to ten feet from the water (at minimum), wait a good five minutes before casting, and then creep a softbait through her area.If that doesn't work I'd follow up with the hardgill retrieved erratically near the surface.

I hope you get her man!

Some good tips already. Let me approach from a different angle. What popped into my head when you said she follows you was...is she used to being fed? Are there kids around that may be feeding her? So when she sees a human she is thinking dinner time? That would affect you trying to catch her. Just a thought.

Some good posts.

This time of year, I’d go with a realistic big soft bait like an 8†Hudd, Baitsmith, or Rago alpha and see if she’ll take.

Make sure you keep it big if she’s attacking 8in bass.

If it warms up some, I’d go with a huge wake bait at night and work slowly.

Always fun to stalk “the oneâ€

I believe the concept of a bass who is curious but it is not the adopt it as a family dolphin kind of deal. I once had a bass during spawn time almost turn her body sideways to me almost squinting her giant eye to see me. She was off the edge of a dense thicket.....but I suspect she was looking for a bird as an easy meal from overhanging branches.....sounds like your fish is like Dotty she eats her males when she's done spawning with em. If so, very tough pattern and time to get her.

Edited by bigpoppabass