casting off

Loganodum38

Logan I've been using Big Game 17/20/25 for many years, w/o issues...close to 10...something iv'e noticed in the last year or so are small kinks in the line ...whether this is operator caused or manufacture caused i'm not certain , but i have had instances where i see this & trim the line back at that point...fortunately I haven't had any break-offs...it does shorten the life of the spooled line...just my 2 cents....I'm like you , apprehensive of tossing off expensive baits ...maybe i may have to leave Big Game also....Good Luck...Michel

11 hours ago, bassbass said:

Try seagar tazu floura. It also may be line twist and when you go back to cast the line wraps around the top guide and then when you cast the bait cast off.

I have casted off on mono, floura and braid, and trust me $1000 isn't that bad, it sucks big time.

Agree, most of the time I cast off is due to line wrap around the rod. Even night fishing I pull the line in front of the reel to make sure it moves through the guides freely before each cast. 

I've been using 20lb Big Game for quite some time now. If you're experiencing "kinking" of the line as mentioned above then it could be enough to weaken the line and snap off heavier baits. I've noticed that if I leave a big bait tied on hanging from the tip or use the rod's hook keeper and reel the line up tight it can put a kink where the line exits the guides and bends at an acute angle. Now I never keep my line in tension when being stored. 

Been using pf original for a couple years. Whenever I try something new I keep going back. I tie it to braid as a leader and tie a new leader every trip.  Check your guides, look for kinks before you go out. If you’re going to go straight nylon mono you should probably respool every to every other trip.  Use line conditioner as well. 

One thing that I always do, especially when throwing big baits, I retir knots every 50 or so casts. Not because of knot worries, but because casting big, heavy baits tends to “stretch” the last 12-36” of line before the knot. I think of a worn out rubber band. Eventually, wherever the shock absorption is, it’s gonna wear out. Hasn’t failed me yet. **crossing fingers** Hope this helps. 

3 minutes ago, asavamedhi said:

One thing that I always do, especially when throwing big baits, I retir knots every 50 or so casts. Not because of knot worries, but because casting big, heavy baits tends to “stretch” the last 12-36” of line before the knot. I think of a worn out rubber band. Eventually, wherever the shock absorption is, it’s gonna wear out. Hasn’t failed me yet. **crossing fingers** Hope this helps. 

thats the thing, i feel like im doing everything right that i know of, new line, fresh spool, checking for kinks knicks making sure its not wrapped around the guides, checking knots, tying them carefully, retying very often, not casting hard .  i just cant figure it out other than try different line but with everyone else's success with big game i feel like that isnt my problem but dont know what else it could be

Is this happening on the same rod/reel set up? or different set ups? Does the snap off happen at the same point of the cast? pretty much at the top? just after the release? Or at the release? I would go at it like a golf swing, take a little off, be more deliberate.

2 hours ago, Loganodum38 said:

thats the thing, i feel like im doing everything right that i know of, new line, fresh spool, checking for kinks knicks making sure its not wrapped around the guides, checking knots, tying them carefully, retying very often, not casting hard .  i just cant figure it out other than try different line but with everyone else's success with big game i feel like that isnt my problem but dont know what else it could be

Hmm..then maybe it can be that big game is not the optimum line for your style. I've had success with big game but you never know? I would try maybe original Pline. It's not as stiff as CX or CXX IMO. Good luck man. Hope it all works out. 

Edited by asavamedhi