casting off

Loganodum38

One more thing, I'm in California where we have no fishing bouy lines and no boating after sunset. and I'm taking 8.5 foot rods and launching 6oz baits as far as I possibly can to get to off limit spots, I can drain a 300 size reel with 30lb mono easy, so most of the time I'm only using 20lb with a Deps 250 sized bait and still never casted off a bait.

If it were me (not necessarily an any order)...

- Check your guides and reel line guide very thoroughly with a Q-tip to make 100% sure you don't have something unexpectedly nicking the line. Use another setup for a while if you can just to be 110% sure.

- If you get a backlash. Period. Replace the line. I've broken off a few times even conventional fishing after a bad backlash with fluoro or mono that caused a kink (weak spot) at a random point in my spool. 

- When you start fishing, cut off the line where it has been stored bent around your top guide and kinks, I don't know if it really makes any difference but worth trying. 

- Try replacing the line more often (unless you are doing it every trip already). 

- Start retying every couple hours, and take maybe 5 feet of line off. Tossing baits that heavy is going to stretch the line on your rod a bit when you cast, I haven't ever tested it but I'm sure after a while that stretching is going to be a weakness. 

- Keep checking the line often like you say you have been, any irregularity in the line, cut it off, even if it doesn't feel like a nick, even just a slight kink. Big Game is cheap, and a hell of a lot cheaper than a Deps. 

After allll that if it is still happening, I would try a completely different line and never touch that stuff again. =

If you're casting off CXX its a spool manangement issue. Just like a spinning reel, you can't have loose wraps and you cannot have even a slight overrun during the cast . If you let loose line on the spool at the end of your cast, which happens because there is less pull on the bait the line ill dig into itself causing a knick and tension at that point as it comes off the spool, if you get a slight overrun during the cast the outgiong line will slice the loose loop.

I've been using CXX and Yozuri hybrid almost exclusively for several years now, and haven't had a cast off with either. They are both vert tough, but do have some memory. I use 15 or 20 lb in each for baits up to 6 oz. I've also used 12 lb for 6" HPH and S-waver 168s.   There's more sensitive lines, and lines with less memory, but for me those are the best of everything with no fear of breaking off a large fish.  Line conditioner and "stretching" the line at the beginning of the day like a fly line.

Edited by Volfan

Also if you let off the tension as you reel in the last feet of your line at the end of a cast, a loose wrap often sits more horizontally across the spool, not inline with the other wraps, then all the force of the casting line will be distributed over the cross section of the line not the entire length of line,  that causes some serious weakiening..

All of the above!! Hope you are tying a Polomar where you wet it well and pull the tag end until tight, then pull on both hard. Then tie an overhand knot sort of loosely on top of that with the tag end running down along the bait, this will help shed debris and act as a shock absorber when bumping cover.

izor XXX for abrasion resistance and First String for softer easier casting.  XXX is stiffer, if you backlash with first string it's a lot more forgivable line that wont be as weak as XXX after it backlashes and folds and creases 

only tried pline fluroclear and it was a giant mistake that made me promise to never buy Pline products again, such a garbage line how could a company sell such a trash product. Seems cxx has great reviews but im not touching any pline products ever. 

If you're scared of fluro because it has less stretch try Seaguar InvisX its very stretchy flurocarbon

Edited by pbcali

On 4/21/2018 at 3:58 PM, Sloegoe said:

I havent broke off a fish in 15 years with CXX and every single time I switch to try something different, within 1 outing something happens to tell me I made a mistake.

how much are you selling your luck for? 

• 2 weeks later...