Price jackers...what to think?

peter_the_fox

Price jacking on brand new baits (seems to be limited release baits) seems to be happening alot and I'm not sure how to feel about it. So...I see this mostly with battles shads and now some citizens from WCZ but it seems to effect every bait. 

I mean on one hand - if guys will pay then go for it. But if guys miss a release do they deserve to have to pay more? I'm not sure how I feel about it. 

Yall? 

Guys have been flipping baits since the beginning of the forum. It's bound to happen and can't do anything about it given the limited releases makers are able to produce. Best thing to do is let them do their thing and grab baits at retail when you can. Also good to have a group of fellow swimbaiters that can help with retail deals when you're in a pinch.

Man it sucks but its been going on way before swimbaits even been in the picture. Ive noticed it with oakleys back in the 90s. But im sure it happens with all brands at some point. Im not against it nor for it. Just depends how bad you want that bait. Others may want it more than you- just depends how much your willing to obtain it. Ive spent 3X maybe even 4X the amount of the original price on some. The price never bothers me or i wouldnt be bidding on it anyways. Nothing you say ,or what you can do can change the way it is. I guess if you dont like it dont buy it from some flipper- somebody else will. You could hope, cross your fingers ,and maybe get lucky on the next release- good luck with that. 

Or just fish one of the 1000's of other baits... I'm cool covering nut, plus shipping, maybe a little extra for trouble, but that's it. I'm talking like 15% over retail tops. Anything beyond that is sucker territory. Not my style. Sole exception would be collectibles. Beyond that no thanks.

Don't worry about something you have no control over. If you don't like the price move on, it is there bait and they can do what ever they want with it. Like others said it has been going on for a while. Trust me its not that bad now. I remember payment $250 each for 5 slow sink hyper herrings that retailed for $75 each. Part of the game. Move on and find a similar bait, there are many out there.

I do not agree with the PF raising his price because other people are selling for more. That may have been a small amount of them. I just got one for $135 and I just sold one for $130 on the BM. These baits retailed for $125. That's like saying I built a house and sold it for 200K, the person that bought it then sold it for 250K...did he steal from the guy that built the house? 

One more thing, some of you guys  really need to look at your money prior to buying baits, make sure everything is all set and you have savings for a rainy day. This way when something comes up you don't have to sell your bait.

Good luck

4 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I heard Jason from Phoney Frog is upping his rates because of this? Claims that flippers are basically stealing money from his family which I can't necessarily agree with, but as a baitmaker I can understand the frustration.

The problem with raising prices is that you never find the in between. He can raise the prices but he won't sell as many. He'll make the same money in the end and there will be less baits so flippers will make more money. The answer to all these guys flipping problems is supply. Make enough. You don't see anyone flipping a Spro rat. I know he's only one guy and he can't keep up with demand but more demand is a good problem to have. Nobody's taking food off anyone's table. He's fighting a ghost if that's how it's handled.