Huddleston Night Stalker

Slosti

I believe it glows for a while after you hit it with the uv light.  I don’t have any personal experience with one though.  I wonder if it actually works as far as getting more bites.

51 minutes ago, Sdmf7 said:

I believe it glows for a while after you hit it with the uv light.  I don’t have any personal experience with one though.  I wonder if it actually works as far as getting more bites.

If you hit it with UV light but how would that be applicable when fishing it? The suns rays will make the color pop?

It's to my knowledge that bass and many other predator fish are able to see reflected UV light emitted from the sun even when we can't. UV reflective finishes on baits may not look like much to the human eye, but to a fish it's almost like a different color spectrum. It's similar to how some animals can only see and process certain colors I think.

4 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

It's to my knowledge that bass and many other predator fish are able to see reflected UV light emitted from the sun even when we can't. UV reflective finishes on baits may not look like much to the human eye, but to a fish it's almost like a different color spectrum. It's similar to how some animals can only see and process certain colors I think.

Seems kinda fishy... ;) Nah but for real that's what I was thinking too. Great explanation! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with this particular bait. But, I can offer some insight on using UV baits.

The last few years the San Diego offshore fishery has seen a huge influx of big bluefin tuna, 100-300lbs. One of the preferred tactics is the use of Shimano flatfall jigs, particularly the Glow color. What's crazy is the fish only bite during a small window, typically between 3am and sunrise. The jigs are dropped to depths of 100-400ft and wound up.

With this in mind, those fish are able to see a small metal jig at those depths with no sunlight penetration. Of course anglers are now employing UV lights shined on the jigs before dropping them, to enhance the drawing power of the jigs.

My thought...If a tuna can see a metal jig at 300ft in the night, a bass can see a UV enhanced bait in 0-20ft. Will it help it get bit? Who knows...

There is some confusion between UV and luminescent (glow-in-the-dark)- they are two completely different things.  The UV that is often now seen in soft baits is a type of fluorescent dye.  It absorbs UV light and converts it to visible (usually blue) light.  Its the same mechanism that manufacturers put into white shirts to make them look "whiter".  You really notice it under a black light.  You need to have UV light present for this to work so I doubt there is much going on at night.

The other type is luminescent, also called phosphorescent or glow in the dark.  This type actually absorbs and stores up energy from light and UV and re-emits it as a visible glow after the light source is taken away.  The old zinc types only glowed for a few minutes but the newer strontium based luminescent pigments will glow for hours if well exposed to sunlight or other UV light source first.  This is the stuff being put on those deepwater jigs.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Neill Hernandez said:

MoonLight? lol

There is still UV at night. Since moonlight is reflecting sunlight which has UV, a smaller percentage of the UV light occurs at night. Not enough to cause burn or damage to organic tissue but enough for phytoplankton (the base of most aquatic food chains) to come back up towards the surface on full moons.