3:16

Gmcgee123

Ok. So I have been on this forum for a little bit and it seems that the 3:16 company is crazy popular. I have used the rising sons but never a jointed or glide bait from them. What makes them so special and what makes them keep there value after being used? 

Thanks

I second the supply and demand. Like a pats there’s a “cult” behind them backing the product up same things with the 316 baits. I own multiple hard baits from 316 and they are amazing imo

7 hours ago, JoshPerkins802 said:

Supply and Demand. 

Same thing with Toxics right now. The baits work, they absolutely do. But the outrageous prices are all Supply and Demand.

I kind of agree but I don't. It's so clear and obvious to see the great craftsmanship and paint jobs on a 316. Also the action is top notch. I can't for the life of me get the hype on Toxics. Had a Hogg's and a W+C. Was quick to get rid of them, was just disappointed with the look and action of them. But supply and demand does seem to rule the swimbait world. In my opinion though, 316s are a notch above

5 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Yeah I was like you years ago until prices came down. Am a big fan of the baby wake, and wish I threw wake jrs more....now I am with you, the glides at $200+ are beyond my comfort zone too.  I actually thought they were bigger baits but they are not. 

I have to admit that the work house and 11  inches looks amazing. 

22 minutes ago, Gmcgee123 said:

I have to admit that the work house and 11  inches looks amazing. 

The Workhorse is hands down my favorite glide bait. It is the most versatile of any glide that size that I have fished. Doesn’t seem to matter what speed you fish it at, it just keeps swimming true. 

1 hour ago, Willluvstafish said:

I kind of agree but I don't. It's so clear and obvious to see the great craftsmanship and paint jobs on a 316. Also the action is top notch. I can't for the life of me get the hype on Toxics. Had a Hogg's and a W+C. Was quick to get rid of them, was just disappointed with the look and action of them. But supply and demand does seem to rule the swimbait world. In my opinion though, 316s are a notch above

I get what you’re saying with the Toxics. I think even @Ceaser will tell you they don’t look like anything special. I think in one video he calls the Micro Mink a turd rat, because it looks like a turd haha. And to me the swim doesn’t really look like anything special either. But, and this is a BIG BUT, Toxic Baits flat out catch fish! That’s why I have bought and will continue to buy Toxics, as well as 3:16s and any other bait that catches me fish. When it’s hanging in a fishes mouth, I like the simple paint jobs and rough shape of the Toxics just as much as the more fancy baits haha. Plus @Ceaser has always been a stand up guy to deal with, and since we all know that’s not standard for bait makers, I consider it a huge plus. 

There are many great baits out there. Find the ones that catch fish for you in your waters. Not just a fish but consistently catching big fish, once you do this then those baits are your superstar baits no matter how much or how little they cost, and how many people like them or don't like them.

With the 3:16 multi jointed baits what I notice when I first got some is that they swim immediately when they start moving forward and they swim even at slow crawling retrieves. I'm guessing this is due to the mechanics and hydrodynamics being dialed down perfectly 

The mattlures strong bass and hardgills, for example, they start swimming after they've moved forward 6" to a foot. The action isn't immediate like with the 3:16s. And at really slow speeds the action pretty much stops and you're just dragging a straightened bait through the water until one of the pieces of the bait catches water then it will start swimming again 

That being said though, mattlures has caught me a lot more fish 

Edited by SumoNinja

Btw, I never pulled the trigger on a workhorse because I never could justify the price.

It seems like a really basic glide bait as far as shape, size and paint job. It doesn't looked like there is extra work put into it to justify the extra cost. It looks like it should be a $130 bait. 

How is it different from a phoney shad, or hinkle shad or a negotiator in terms of the amount of work put into it? 

18 hours ago, Willluvstafish said:

Thank god i hear someone else speak up on Toxic baits, anyone can make them. The prices and demand make no sense to me, but again that's just my opinion. So simple to make and the reason they get bit IMO is because people see a lot of other people fishing them hard increasing their chances of landing fish so then THEY think the bait is killer and fish it just as hard and land fish as well. But that applies to any bait as long as the fisherman is confident in the bait. 

I love 3:16’s, they’re baits flat out work well for me. I’d have to agree it’s most supply and demand, but 3:16s are made very well and can easily catch 100+ fish (hard baits), so to me it makes sense the resell value holds. 

Im surprised to see people dishing on Toxic a little. Toxic’s aren’t the prettiest but they’re more like a “working man’s swim bait” to me haha. I’d say they definitely work exceptionally well and are built with quality components and I have no issue with the price or demand on them. Caesar is as solid as they come and he deserves every sale on his baits. 

All in all, Bassbass hit it on the head. Regardless of price or popularity it’s best to find a handful of baits that get but for you. Those are the winning tickets.