Glides at night?

168 Rookie

What's up SU,

So I work a regular 9-5 schedule, don't get home til after 6p, and with the shortening days most of my fishing for the rest of the season is gonna be late evening/overnight.  My question is:  has anyone had decent success fishing glides during the nighttime hours?  I plan to fish the BoogieBack (a bluegill wake-n-crank style with a LOUD rattle to it), the Shellback softbait and the Jenko Booty Shaker, which all have some tail thump or good rattle to them, but I was wondering how effective it would be to fish something as quiet as a glide.  I'm trying to learn the intricacies of glides, really focusing on learning the S-Waver and Savage Gear Shine Glide, but I'm just not sure they'll have the drawing power in low-visibility conditions that they do during sunny, clearwater conditions.

Thanks all for your help, tight lines!

-Andre

Yeah I've crushed em on that BoogieBack wake-n-crank during low-light, so I know that gets it done.  But I've literally never tried my glides at night yet, for some reason they just feel so quiet and...glidey ha.  I guess I have this bias that nighttime has to be loud or thumpy (which is actually weird, because my last two PBs were on a 10-inch black worm at night and a Berkeley Pit Boss creature bait at night.  Neither of those has thump/vibration/rattle).

My 0.02 is that i have never seen a bluegill that has rattles in it, or a shad that croaks and bangs. Bass have to feed, and i dont think that it is necessary to have rattles and loud noises to get a bite, but i think it might help. It most likely gets the bass' attention and they might eat it, or they might realize that it is fake and not eat it.. kinda a double edge sword imho. I think it is completely dependant on the lake and conditions. But i would love to hear others opinion.

I dont bass fish at night but I do very well with big striper on glides at night. Alot of times much better than daylight hours.

A fish can "see" and feel baits in the dark. Just because a glide is silent it still moves alot of water wich will be felt in the lateral line. Fish em and get bit bro!

Yeah the BoogieBack is similar to the Gantarel, those wake-n-crank gills definitely get it done.

@bigpoppabass--so I'm trying to understand; you're saying the bass wouldn't even see a glide at night, or because of its side-to-side action they'd be more likely to miss it when they strike? Sorry if I'm slow, this is just an interesting side of the argument that I haven't heard. Thanks for your input.

16 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

Yeah the BoogieBack is similar to the Gantarel, those wake-n-crank gills definitely get it done.

@bigpoppabass--so I'm trying to understand; you're saying the bass wouldn't even see a glide at night, or because of its side-to-side action they'd be more likely to miss it when they strike? Sorry if I'm slow, this is just an interesting side of the argument that I haven't heard. Thanks for your input.

I fish alot at real night, and your classic nighttime baits are 1x slammer, jitterbugs, rats, and rof 0 hudds. They all track straight. I have never heard of anyone using walk the dog baits at night and these baits have been around well before swimbaits....now I can understand why gantarels (no need for jr. Size imo) might work in low light conditions due to their flash, but again that bait does not make wide glides that fish track and attack....when I say real night I mean darkness, but very often lakes with homes or even a little moon are fairly illuminated and you almost don't need a flashlight handy....besides glides are poor choices then so you don't lose em in trees etc.  Probabilities do not favor glides imo. 

Edited by bigpoppabass