Offical 2019 Grassroots Bait Swap Thread

chefchris

Let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who wanted to be involved and offering feedback/input! 

Here the offical rules/guidelines for the swap, pretty sure everyone has read em and agreed to the terms. 

2019 Swimbait Swap Details & Rules

Start Date: December 17th 2018

Finish Date: March 17th 2019 St. Patty’s Day

Objective: All builders who signed up are to build ONE BAIT each in a 3 month time frame. This can be a new design, an old design, a tweak on an existing bait, etc. as long as you made it and is to be completed by March 17th, 2019. I would put some emphasis on making sure your bait swims and isn’t a dud, no one wants to get a paper weight. The bait can be any style/variety; finished bait weight should be within reason. Material can be any medium, wood, resin, rubber, etc.

If you have any idea of what you’re going to build, post some pics/specs if you have them, or if you want to keep it secret that’s fine too. You can always change the bait if you need to or are undetermined. I’m still undecided on what bait I’m making for the swap as I have a few new things in the works.

Please give a full description of the bait, weight, length, what line/rod, retrieve you fish it with. This way goes wont pick a bait their rods cant handle.

Please build a bait you’d be proud to have someone fish!

Swap Rules: All names will go into an online auto pick generator. That way there will be no issues with who goes first, second etc. I’ll film it in real time and post it. After the swap order is determined, you will get to pick the bait of your choosing. Please pick the bait you’ll actually fish, this benefits the builder with feedback and constructive criticism, and will benefit you with a bait you’ll want to fish. I know everyone might not get there first choice, second choice or even third choice, that’s just the way it works.

We will use this thread to keep everyone updated on the build progress and to get feedback along the way. Like if you are building or tuning a glide and having issues, ask the group for help/suggestions as someone might be able to quickly correct the issue without you having to go thru multiple failures. Personally I’ve cut down my learning curve by learning from guys that have more experience than me and asking questions, without asking for a handout.

Please read this line -> if you fail to complete the bait by the deadline, you will forfeit the opportunity to swab baits.

Once all the baits are picked, it will be you and builders job to send private messages and get the address of where it needs to be shipped. The shipping charges should be pretty even across the board.

If you see a bait (baits) you’re really interested in and want to own, but might not get because of pick order, I suggest contacting the builder to see if you guys can arrange a private swap/buy/trade separate from the main swap.

I expect nothing but great things from the swap and the guys involved. If for whatever reason, you feel cheated/picked on or overly criticized send me a message, I don’t see it happening but covering bases.

After everyone receives their baits we’ll start a new thread called 2019 SU Swimbait Swap Catches or something along those lines, that we can all post in to see the baits getting fished, how they are holding up, performing, etc.

I also really like the idea of doing our own swap tournament like the SU style, date to be determined, open to ideas as a group.

Thanks in advance to everyone who got involved and making this idea reality!

Chef Chris

Thanks for the update, Chris!

I'm trying to put my best foot forward and finish my 7" resin gill glide come spring time. Not really sure what the full specs will be yet, but the bait will be equipped with Owner hardware and semisoft urethane rubber fins. If this plan fails, then I'm hoping to have a four piece multijoint gill made from the same master build. Currently I'm on my sixth glide prototype and working to build my master for the four piece gill.

I'll be posting build updates in my own build thread and final photos/specs/swim videos here once I finish.

IMG_20181203_160731_698.thumb.jpg.64240d9bac37c1dd000907c25c2db174.jpg

I think i know what i am picking...^

Haha, i am currently working on a large baitfish glide. 1/2 gill 1/2 shad. Just a general shape. Master is done and i just need to make the fins, and mold it. This will be mt first resin bait/molding, and i am sure i will run into a fair amount of problems, but nothing i cant fix. 

If this glide doesnt work, or i am unhappy with it, i will downsize, and make a little bit smaller bass glide. All i have for that is just a drawing though, but i think it will look and work great.

20181217_095204-600x600.jpg

1 hour ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

I think i know what i am picking...^

Haha, i am currently working on a large baitfish glide. 1/2 gill 1/2 shad. Just a general shape. Master is done and i just need to make the fins, and mold it. This will be mt first resin bait/molding, and i am sure i will run into a fair amount of problems, but nothing i cant fix. 

If this glide doesnt work, or i am unhappy with it, i will downsize, and make a little bit smaller bass glide. All i have for that is just a drawing though, but i think it will look and work great.

20181217_095204-600x600.jpg

looks nice man, if the glide doesnt work, you could always throw a lip on it and make it a wake/crank

6 minutes ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

I might just end up going for the bass anyways. Ill make both masters, and see which one i think is best

I like the look of that bass! You could also make it into a three or four piece multijoint swimmer...it's gonna look great!

1 minute ago, danthefisherman said:

I like the look of that bass! You could also make it into a three or four piece multijoint swimmer...it's gonna look great!

Thanks man, ive never made a multijoint, only glides, but it is something i would like to try. Ill definitely consider it.

8 minutes ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Thanks man, ive never made a multijoint, only glides, but it is something i would like to try. Ill definitely consider it.

If you have tuning glides already down under your belt then making a multijoint will be a piece of cake for you haha

So decided (pretty sure) I’m going to do my trout/herring resin bait I’ve been wanting to do since the summer. 

Cut the rough template the other day, out of a piece of soft white pine, super easy to sand/cut and was the perfect piece I had kicking around. 

Printed out a trout profile from online, spray glued it in place, cut some relief cuts in it, as the band saw I have isn’t the best for thick pieces, (mainly use it for plug lip slots, trimming Lexan lips and cutting off plug ends) so it’s a little rough. 

Picking up the new belt sander today, so I can smooth out the top and bottom and then cut the side profile. 

Plan is to make a sort of generic trout/herring shape and make a master mold, that will be a one piece mold that I can then cut/tweak into different baits until I lock in some final designs instead of making multiple molds at first. 

I’ve messed around with some resin baits a few years ago, so excited to start the process again, this time with way knowledge and guidance than what I had when I first attempted it. 

Heres a few pics so far. 

Excited to get it cut/sanded into a real fish shape. 

FCF20C27-1A89-4D7A-9EC8-0B731EEAEDB0.jpeg

132BDFC7-0312-4342-AD97-E9E29093AB0C.jpeg

7B937E9E-1112-45B2-B9AC-4CD4602CEE25.jpeg

CD5C41D7-5A4D-497C-9FDC-A392D11334A3.jpeg

I have three to choose from at the moment.

Resin; gill and trout. 

Plastic; gill still in the works. I took some of my braydens gill dud molds and messed around with them. I got one master ready for a paddle tail and even thinking about making a shutter tail version. 

But who knows. Well see what I decide .

20181220_114547.jpg

Started on the bass master, finished the face details, now just got the scales and cut a section for the tail.

Also i have a question, since ive never used resin or made a mold, i was wondering how well the details will transfer over to the mold? Will the wood grain transfer? Do i need to seal the wood before molding? Thanks in advance!

20181221_105025-600x600.jpg

It has been my experience that you will lose some fine detail from the original by the time you mold and pour a resin copy.  Wood grain won't show if sanded smooth.  Yes, seal the master prior to molding. I have used Rustoleum clear to seal, several light coats, but guys use different things to seal.

@VolunteerSwimbaits what are you using to carve the face and fins? Need to get some wood carving tools soon. 

I know a lot of guys will spray a sealer coat or top coat over the wood 

I never have with my wood masters. The grain never showed thru. 

The details get picked up pretty well, but I personally make em deeper cause after the mold and paint and clear they will fill in a little.