Offical 2019 Grassroots Bait Swap Thread

chefchris

Here's the bait that I will be entering for the swap. The Kicker Gill is relatively small compared to a lot of the swimbaits out there, but it has a nice swim and can be thrown on lighter swimbait rods or even some conventional ones. I'm loving all the baits that are being posted. Keep it up guys!

Kicker Gill (Summer Gill).jpg

I am done with carving amd fine details. Here it is with the fins and tail. Going to try both a glide and swimmer after i mold it, but i havent even bought the materials yet, i did not expect the resin and silicone to be so expensive.

Went for simple scales, more of a "bull shad" scales, then realistic scales, just trying different things. I am very happy with the result, i hope the molding and pouring process goes well, only time will tell.20181224_142212-600x600.jpg.bd22e5875dbf1018eae8a37a6c1cc7d5.jpg

@VolunteerSwimbaits that’s looking awesome man, I like the scales personally, instead of a super lifE like version, bait is coming along nicely 

try and get a 40% hobby lobby coupon they carry all or most of the alumilte products 

Just now, chefchris said:

@VolunteerSwimbaits that’s looking awesome man, I like the scales personally, instead of a super lifE like version, bait is coming along nicely 

try and get a 40% hobby lobby coupon they carry all or most of the alumilte products 

Thanks dude, these scales look great in person. And i never thought about hobby lobby. Gonna have to check to see what they have! 

1 hour ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Thanks dude, these scales look great in person. And i never thought about hobby lobby. Gonna have to check to see what they have! 

Yeah those 40% coupons work for one item a day and they can scan it off your phone from their website.  If you are going to do a glide and swimmer though it is going to take a lot of silicone rubber.  You can space it out over a few days and get one thing of it a time and get it quite a bit cheaper, or look at getting it in bulk.  I like to give it plenty of time to cure anyways instead of just demolding it at the time it says you can demold so I normally only do one side a day anyways which works if you are trying to space it out and get the discount on everything.

1 minute ago, morgantm16 said:

If you are going to do a glide and swimmer though it is going to take a lot of silicone rubber

I plan on doing both, but only using 1 mold. I am not cutting the joints for the lure until after i pour it, so i am cutting the resin and not the wood. (Mainly because i completely forgot to cut the joint before starting on the scales) I think this way might save on time, money, and resources. Doesnt seem like i have much of any of those three here lately, but oh well. :)

7 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

I plan on doing both, but only using 1 mold. I am not cutting the joints for the lure until after i pour it, so i am cutting the resin and not the wood. (Mainly because i completely forgot to cut the joint before starting on the scales) I think this way might save on time, money, and resources. Doesnt seem like i have much of any of those three here lately, but oh well. :)

personally i feel leaving the master intact is the way to go until you really decide which direction you want to. With a single piece bait from the mold, you can make a two piece wake, a 2 piece glide, 3 or 4 piece baits like the TT, or really any combo. then once you get settled on the specific bait you want to make, you can always make another mold. but why cut a master if you're undecided? 

I've made a little headway. Got some fins carved and added, wish I could carve them better but they'll work, then used some body filler to fill in the gaps. I've never made a resin lure with protruding fins before. I might have made the ventral fins too thin and subject to breaking. Time will tell.  Trying to add the fins and keep them symmetrical was difficult for me and I wound up breaking one  and having to fix it. The two ventral fins aren't perfectly the same,  they're close,  so I hope it doesn't effect the swim. Got the hinge fab'ed and hardware added. I'll do some final clean up and sanding and get ready to make some molds. I'll do a new tail also, old one looks like crap. I'll attempt a silicone one this time, we'll see!

I have always used my old band saw to cut the joint but seemed have issues with it. I could get one side cut at the perfect angle, but when I cut the other side I always seem to be a little off.  Something's askew somewhere... besides me! This time I cut it on the table saw and got it very symmetrical so the joint is very clean and should help it swim well, fingers crossed.

I would like to ask a question of everyone about ROF for glides or swimbaits in general.  I read somewhere that slow sink is about 1 foot every two seconds.  Super slow was 1 foot in about 5 seconds.  Is that anyone else's feeling or is there an industry standard that everyone goes by?  Love to hear your thoughts as I want to be consistent with everyone else in this area. I'll post more updates...

101_1292.JPG

101_1293.JPG

Edited by azfisher

I'm working on this 3 piece at the moment and it is more then likely what I'll be entering, the 1st one has caught a hand full of fish but the fins aren't the greatest so I'm leaving those out and now I'm playing with joint styles to see if I like one better then the other. Wooden bait around 6" long and If I remeber right 2.5oz for a slow sink you can downsize hooks to make a floater/super slow sink depending on water temp

IMG_20180923_214149_313.thumb.jpg.ce04582b3d8cbeb103f712f5fcd64843.jpg

20181226_213316.jpg

@azfisher that bait is coming along super nicely, scales are on point, face detail is sick, looking forward to seeing where you can go with it 

@BrhodesBassin thats a sweet looking bait, different design for sure. 

I have to say all the baits so far are coming along great and really stoked on everyone stepping up. I know its really making me step my swimbait game up. Great stuff guys 

The majority of baits I build tend to be on the smaller side...4-6 inches... my go to pattern is a gill , as a consequence most tend to be in that vain... I do make larger baits just not quite as often... began building baits from wood a little over ten years ago ... the last three or so years I’ve switched to Azek PVC... the pictured baits are an example of some from the last year or so... I’m contemplating building  a gill bait similar to one on the lower left side... I’m enjoying reading of everyone’s intended projects ... michel

9220A15D-4B10-4A39-B699-445D48CF3893.jpeg

On 12/26/2018 at 9:45 PM, BrhodesBassin said:

I'm working on this 3 piece at the moment and it is more then likely what I'll be entering, the 1st one has caught a hand full of fish but the fins aren't the greatest so I'm leaving those out and now I'm playing with joint styles to see if I like one better then the other. Wooden bait around 6" long and If I remeber right 2.5oz for a slow sink you can downsize hooks to make a floater/super slow sink depending on water temp

IMG_20180923_214149_313.thumb.jpg.ce04582b3d8cbeb103f712f5fcd64843.jpg

20181226_213316.jpg

For anyone who cares I just put up a short swim video on my instagram @biggirlbaitshop