Offical 2019 Grassroots Bait Swap Thread

chefchris

42 minutes ago, chefchris said:

@VolunteerSwimbaits what are you using to carve the face and fins? Need to get some wood carving tools soon. 

I have a super cheap Amazon set of carving tools, but i prefer a raw razor blade. Thanks for the tips!

4 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

Kevin, I think you can still join. I just talked to Chris and he let me in on this. This bait trade sounds like fun!

Ok awesome, is there a specific thread I need to sign up on or something? Or should I talk to Chris? Thanks for the help 

18 minutes ago, kev_swmbt_20 said:

Ok awesome, is there a specific thread I need to sign up on or something? Or should I talk to Chris? Thanks for the help 

Hey man, you're welcome to join in. all the rules are on the first page, so if you agree to those and can meet the deadline, you're more than welcome to join in now. Like Dave @porkmeatballs said he asked today about it and hes in too, so i think that brings us to like 12-14 interested. 

there's no fee or anything to sign up, or penalty if you don't complete by March 17th, you just don't get to swap a bait if you don't finish one. 

happy to have you and Dave join in, think it will be a great thread and time. 

Got the new belt sander up and running yesterday and was able to smooth out the master trout blank before doing the top profile, got it marked center lines and guide lines for the width, drawing up the profile today and hopefully cutting it and doing some more work on it if I have time. 

040BDFAF-49C7-4585-9B8C-B6C3B5C02561.jpeg

2D581AE8-8EFA-4A0A-B91D-C9A7555F2142.jpeg

Edited by chefchris
Pics added

Also was finally able to shape the tail on this 3 piece. So it’s a 3 piece based on a slammer/pats (or whatever you want to call it) with a real wood tail. Left it thick enough so hopefully it won’t break if it’s hits something, but thin enough to where it should swim. Might be a dud but something I’ve been toying with. 

Made a 2 prototype a while back and had zero action, tail was too thick and didn’t move, the back section acted like a rudder. 

Have higher hopes for this one. 

120CE129-BA39-4AB4-8E45-C50289BC5EDB.jpeg

7897E43D-8D55-44A7-8BAB-E24556DF0375.jpeg

I'm diggn' seeing everyone's projects coming along and having a couple more guys join.  This is such a cool deal, stoked to be part of it.  I decided to do another shad glide. The first one swims well but doesn't look so hot. My carving and painting skills have improved a bunch since.  It will be about 8 inches and about 4 0z's, kind of the standard size. I used some alder wood to carve the master and will be making molds and resin copies.   SCALES SUCK!!  Still need to add some fins and finish the detail carving on the face and gill plate,    ....and scale the other side. I'll post more pics as I get further along.

101_1274.JPG

101_1268.JPG

101_1271.JPG

101_1280.JPG

On 12/22/2018 at 6:54 PM, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

@Ds.attack.rat dude you have the best paint jobs in the business! I love that crappie! 

Just curious, do those lures have scales? Or is that the paint, kinda hard to tell the difference! lol

I appreciate that brother. All my baits are painted scales.