Offical 2019 Grassroots Bait Swap Thread

chefchris

4 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Little update on the bass. Got the mold ready, now just waiting on the mail call for my resin and silicone. 

Let me know if i missed a step, or if i should do something, because ive never done this before, thanks!

How thin are those fins, Jordan? I might be worried about the resin snapping especially with the bottom fin that is housing the rear hook hanger. If that screw is long enough to reach all the way into the actual body of the bait it might not be a problem though. Looks good so far!

55 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

If that screw is long enough to reach all the way into the actual body of the bait it might not be a problem though. Looks good so far!

Thanks, and the hangers are plenty long enough, they go half way into the body. Thanks!

I've gotten a little further on my bait this last week. Went back and did the final detail carving and body work and made molds. This about was about the same size as my last shad glide, so I had a good start on my ballast/resin/micro balloon ratio.  It wound up at 8 1/4 inches and 4.25 oz. The bait in the swim vid is the second pour and I've added some suspend dots and strips to compensate for no eyes, clear or paint.  This bait swims best with just rhythmic pulses from reel handle with a slow gear ratio.

I'm getting some pinching in the joint from too much front weight in the tail section and possibly also from using a plastisol tail. I don't know if a plastisol tail will float more than one out of Flex 30. The tail did fall out and sank to the bottom, although not very fast. Need a little more of the ballast towards the tail. I guess a new tail out of Flex is the next step. I'll keep dialing it in.

So a little about my pond. Water temp 40*, I'm swimming the bait in about an 11 x 5 foot area by four foot deep. That being said, it can be hard to get a true sense of the glide potential in that short of distance with that little line out. I've noticed when I throw this type of bait in the lake with 25 yards of line in the water instead of 3, the glide is significantly more stable. This has been true of all baits I've test swam, not just mine.  So those are my excuses, LOL.    Here's the good , bad and the ugly...

@azfisher first off bait looks great with all the details/fins. Sink rate is what I like personally, love that it sinks level. Even with the short amount of line out the swim looks very nice. Bait is coming along real nice, nice work 

Finish pouring 2 baits today, took 2 tries to get the first successful pour. Got there in the end. Heres a few pics from today, the first one is kinda cool. Shows the progression from drawing to wood to resin. 

I know have a deep respect for those who make baits out of resin. 

Now just time to tune :)

20190106_200753-600x600.jpg

20190106_200814-600x600.jpg

20190106_200803-600x600.jpg

3 minutes ago, azfisher said:

Lookin good! Wait til you get it wet and it comes to life!! Is that the secret formula on your hand?

Cant wait to tune and make the joint. Lol that was the dimensions of the mold box. But we will stick with the secret formula. That sounds better. :) thanks

@VolunteerSwimbaits that looks awesome man, stoked to see it swim and finished 

if you want to get away from bending screw eyes, you can pick yourself up some welding wire or plug thru wire and twist em yourself, will  get rid of bending em and can probably make a jig to make the front eye and belly hook one piece 

i have a ton of plug wire cut offs I can send you to try 

8 minutes ago, chefchris said:

@VolunteerSwimbaits that looks awesome man, stoked to see it swim and finished 

if you want to get away from bending screw eyes, you can pick yourself up some welding wire or plug thru wire and twist em yourself, will  get rid of bending em and can probably make a jig to make the front eye and belly hook one piece 

i have a ton of plug wire cut offs I can send you to try 

Im pretty happy with my design overall. I dont mind bending the hangers, and i am happy with the joints i am making. They will kinda be like the bullshad joints for the swimmer model, and i might make it a little different for the glide model.

Thanks!

Messed around with a glide prototype. Pretty happy with the paint scheme, and the sink rate. Gonna have to test it out some time. If the glide is good, ill post up a swimming vid, if not then its back to the tuning board!

Let me know what you guys think! Any and all suggestions will be heard. Thanks a lot!

20190108_201424-600x600.jpg

20190108_201437-600x600.jpg

@VolunteerSwimbaits, bet that bait would look epic in a smallie pattern too. Bait is looking great man, excited to hear about the swim test. 

its still low 40s here in RI and we still have some open water, proto trout glide and a new/reworked design 3 piece wake going for a swim this weekend