Big Bait Reel

Jarin

I have recently decided I want to upgrade from my Shimano Corvallus to a little better quality reel. I am planning on throwing 8 to 10 inch baits on this set up and the corvallus jsut did not quite like handle the big baits like i would have liked. My question is what are some good options as a replacement reel for my Corvallus. I do not want a Calucutta its a little out of my price range. I would like to try and stay around $200.00. I Have looked at both low profile and round reels and have not found a reel that seems to be overall a good reel for these bigger sized swimbaits.

Lexa 300 on eBay for $148 all the time, winn models too (just bought a Lexa 300WN 6.4 last night) 

you can get a Calcutta 400B (my favorite reels ever) brand new for $150 if you look around (scored a brand new in box in the black market for $150 a few months ago) guys sell em all the time, usually can find a lightly used one too for about the $150 range, just have to look around or make a post 

I’ve used the Lexa 300 and 400, Shimano Calcutta and Daiwa Luna 300 for baits that size without any issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, bigpoppabass said:

You can often get a Calcutta D used here often for less than $200 too. A new upgrade on the corvallus for low money would be an Abu garcia c3. You will have extra to add a power handle too. Smaller models for all braid larger for nonbraid.  

I agree about the Abu. Get a 6500c3, power handle, ceramic abec 7 spool bearings, level wind with a bearing, ceramic pawl and you have a nice affordable big bait reel for around $200.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I throw the Super Duty 300 for swimbaits and also for some 3-6oz spoons. Mine has the powerhandle and is the high speed model. The reel has stayed exceptionally smooth through a year of use. The dual anti reverse feature is nice insurance too. It’s got slightly more line capacity than a Trans 300, and compares favorably in performance. Not to mention you can find them on sale for about $165 new. The cast control is quite good and easily handles lures as light as 3/8oz if needed. Overall, it’s a good package in my opinion.