What Knots Do You Tie For Big Swimbaits On Floro?

Caleb B

Seems to be either the sd jam or improved clinch is the most commonly used I’ll try both hopefully I won’t break off my last hinkle today thanks for all of the help guys!

1 hour ago, chevro1et said:

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way myself... haven't thrown any baits over 4oz, and might stay that way.

I'm over cautious I guess, tie a double San Diego Jam on everything 2oz+

I feel you I just recently started to work at Walmart (I’m 16) to save up and buy these baits and throwing them off was a shock to say the least I just ordered some new baits but honestly have had the most luck with the bullshads which are very light 

29 minutes ago, hydrocephalic said:

SD jam as others have said. Doesn't bust on triple digit bluefin... Green bass don't stand a chance unless you're doing it wrong.

Are you not using like 100lb+ line on tuna though? And drag fighting more? 

I had the same problem when I first started throwing baits over five ounces with a Palomar knot, especially on fluoro. Once I really started paying attention to how I was tying my knot I realized that I had been twisting the loop causing it to cut into itself. There’s are videos that will explain better, but your best bet is practice makes perfect.

I now have confidence again in the palomar, but choose to use the  improved clinch and SDjam knots because of how strait they attach to the bait instead of at an angle like palomar.

I would try some Izorline personally, worry about fluoro when losing a bait doesn’t cost you a months check.

3 hours ago, SethMuffinson said:

Are you not using like 100lb+ line on tuna though? And drag fighting more? 

Not 100# unless we're on monsters, which was rare. And I've used that knot with 25# big game throwing surface iron for yellowtail with zero knot failures, even when I fought a seal until I came back with just the jaw of the yellowtail I hooked. I've got the picture somewhere. It's a tried and true knot.

Edit: here's the jaw lol 

Screenshot_20190607-215109.thumb.png.8d1809a899a848adfcbd771c8a01a56c.png
Edited by hydrocephalic

22 hours ago, hydrocephalic said:

Not 100# unless we're on monsters, which was rare. And I've used that knot with 25# big game throwing surface iron for yellowtail with zero knot failures, even when I fought a seal until I came back with just the jaw of the yellowtail I hooked. I've got the picture somewhere. It's a tried and true knot.

Edit: here's the jaw lol 

Screenshot_20190607-215109.thumb.png.8d1809a899a848adfcbd771c8a01a56c.png

Thats legit!

Damn that hurts........Just a couple of tips with fluoro you may already know.

1. Avoid line twist at all costs when spooling. One spool twist can create a weak spot in the line. 

2. Use some spit when sealing the knot and go slowly when cinching it up.  Fluoro is very heat sensitive and a fast knotset can create friction that weakens the line. I often retie because the process of sealing often creates a small line bend where I started to cinch.  I consider that a weak point. Spit helps to lub the line a little.

I like the improved clinch for smaller diameter fluoro, and a reverse uni for thicker stuff.  The reason is I can see clearly whether it is tied right. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

Didn't see any vids on double uni to line tie, but I did see a 2011 article/vid from in fisherman about uni being the only knot you need to know....they raise the issue about knot strength being not just about pulling but also about handling a sudden jerk, i.e. like a big bait at the end of a not so smooth cast or big fish surge. You don't hear much about this concept.