Swimbait rod build.

jthod

11 hours ago, Deltaman said:

Looks amazing man! Love the carbon fiber handles. The weight on the butt is a must. Funny how the carbon fiber is supposed to weigh less but in order to balance the rod, weight has to be added anyway. lol

This is the first time I've used the weight system. Definitely will be using it in the future. 

The carbon fiber is more of an aesthetic item on a rod like this.  Others I've built make a big difference in overall weight, but you have to keep balance in mind.  This one had nano micro guides.  Had it had regular old guides, it would have been front heavy, and NEEDED the butt weight. 

20190330_214845.jpg

I've just been shoving lead in the bottom of the blanks till it balances on my finger on the reel seat. I leave the butt cap off until EVERYTHING else is done, including thread finish. Then add the weight to the butt and epoxy. Excellent work! Looks clean!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 12:29 AM, Deltaman said:

I've just been shoving lead in the bottom of the blanks till it balances on my finger on the reel seat. I leave the butt cap off until EVERYTHING else is done, including thread finish. Then add the weight to the butt and epoxy. Excellent work! Looks clean!

Great idea.

Edited by jthod

• 1 month later...

Nicely done!!  That guide finish is like glass.  

Appreciate the defection chart shots too, I’ve been wanting to build out a rainshadow swimbait rod but I like to pull on blanks before I buy.  Seems  like the specs are always a bit of a crapshoot.  

Any my feedback in regards to the weight rating and how it handles baits in that magic 2-3oz range?

Just now, chevro1et said:
On 7/11/2019 at 11:10 AM, jthod said:

The carbon fiber is more of an aesthetic item on a rod like this. 

Talk to me about the practical side of the carbon fiber grips... where do you feel that it fits in terms of actual grippy-ness compared to cork, eva, x-flock, composite cork? Great looking build btw, very nice work. 

On 8/27/2019 at 3:59 PM, tHeINFamoUS said:

Nicely done!!  That guide finish is like glass.  

Appreciate the defection chart shots too, I’ve been wanting to build out a rainshadow swimbait rod but I like to pull on blanks before I buy.  Seems  like the specs are always a bit of a crapshoot.  

Any my feedback in regards to the weight rating and how it handles baits in that magic 2-3oz range?

This rod is listed as a magnum crankbait rod, DD22, 10XD, etc..

It slings a 10XD like you wouldn't believe, they are right at 2oz.   I don't think I'd use it for baits much over 3 oz.  

On 8/28/2019 at 1:27 AM, chevro1et said:

Talk to me about the practical side of the carbon fiber grips... where do you feel that it fits in terms of actual grippy-ness compared to cork, eva, x-flock, composite cork? Great looking build btw, very nice work. 

The grips themselves are ridiculously light.   For finesse rods, they are perfect.

The grip has MUCH more texture that cork or EVA.   All the rods I have built with CFX grips have been for customers, I haven't made one for myself yet, so other than testing the rods out a bit, I don't have much of a review to give on them as far as long time use, or grip when wet, etc. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:27 PM, chevro1et said:

I can speak to this, all of my personal rods are CF grips now (Swimbait-frog/jig). Grippiness is really good imho. It's probably a consistent 220 grit texture, wet or dry. The major benefit I feel is not necessarily the weight reduction. The major benefit to me is "Feel". Because the carbon fiber has a solid 7lb foam arbor all the way through, it translates from the blank to you far more easily.  Same reason people use an exposed blank reel seat. When I'm fishing glides, I can FEEL a missed swipe without having seen the miss. That allows me to try to erratically trigger the strike greater distances from the boat.