Need an explanation on why Mono works better than Braid or Fluoro

my mission is fishin.

I am a newbie on Swimbait fishing. Was told by a reputable source, good set up would be a Dobyns 806SB matched with a Daiwa Lexa WN300. He uses P Line Tactical Fluoro, which he suggested. That's my set up, including the P Line 25 Lb Fluoro. I have read and seen where people recommend using 25 Lb Big Game Mono, I have seen where people use 65-80 Lb Fluoro and also seen people using Fluoro, as I am in 25 Lb test. Just about everywhere anyone fishes, there are pickerel/Pike. I am more worried about losing a SB to them than my line breaking when I cast. Is it that Mono is more abrasion resistant than Braid or does it have to do with the amount of stretch/shock resistence? I am willing to listen/change if I can get a better understanding of why Mono is better than Braid. 

Mono floats and stretches and has very good abrasion resistance. Fluorocarbon sinks and also stretches not as much as mono but still stretches and is virtually invisible  but when you backlash you can actually crack/damage the line causing a cast off. Braid has horrible abrasion resistance in rocks and has absolutely 0 stretch I've sent 1/2oz hollow belly frogs to outer space when backlashing 65lb braid and it snapped.

im no expert but that's the just of it I mostly use mono.

Edited by Born 2 fish

14 minutes ago, my mission is fishin. said:

I am a newbie on Swimbait fishing. Was told by a reputable source, good set up would be a Dobyns 806SB matched with a Daiwa Lexa WN300. He uses P Line Tactical Fluoro, which he suggested. That's my set up, including the P Line 25 Lb Fluoro. I have read and seen where people recommend using 25 Lb Big Game Mono, I have seen where people use 65-80 Lb Fluoro and also seen people using Fluoro, as I am in 25 Lb test. Just about everywhere anyone fishes, there are pickerel/Pike. I am more worried about losing a SB to them than my line breaking when I cast. Is it that Mono is more abrasion resistant than Braid or does it have to do with the amount of stretch/shock resistence? I am willing to listen/change if I can get a better understanding of why Mono is better than Braid. 

each line type has its own advantages and disadvantages so using the word "better" is a relative term depending on the given application. i am sure other members will elaborate on their preferences as well.

Mono: probably the most versitile in any category (can fish deep, mid column, or topwater). will not sink as fast as fluoro but will also not float as much as braid. does have stretch will will help keep hooks from pulling. pretty cheap so you can probably easily afford respooling line if there is any abrasion or have gone a long period without changing. 

Braid: has zero stretch. as strong as it is, it is terrible with abrasion compared to mono/fluoro. is pretty expensive so respooling would be expensive. it floats so not a bad option for topwater baits or slowing the sink rate on baits. 

Fluoro: just like braid, respooling is expensive. it sinks, so its good for your midcolumn or lower water column baits and will help keep them down. has almost no stretch. usually has pretty high line memory. usually very abrasion resistant. 

There are probably several other things I am overlooking but this is a general description. Fluoro would definitely not be better if youre throwing topwater but it is a good pick for several other applications.  Hope this helps. 

Then you also have to consider Co-poly in between mono and fluro 

I think what ever works best for your fishing is the BEST answer 

I run my set ups with 50lb braid to 20-30lb mono leader (Andes big game) for most of my hardbaits/trebled baits. 

17-20lb pline Cxx copoly on my soft bait set ups 

25-30lb pline cxx copoly on my biggest bait set ups. 

if I had one set up I’d run 20lb Mono or copoly all day and just learn to make it work for your applications 

I think the deal with Big Game users is they can change line up often for low money.  Makes a huge difference, it is easy to get lazy with more expensive lines. They are fine strength wise but often get memory etc.  Then you do a change and are like dah since you see an improvement right away. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

• 4 weeks later...

Basically what everyone else said. Different strokes for different folks. One thing about braid is that if the bait your using tends to helicopter, braid is more prone to get wound up in the hooks, especially trebles. Lots of guys to braid to fluoro (leader) or braid to mono (also leader) to combat that sort of thing. Some people like that, others don’t. Don’t overlook any one line set up. They all have their pros and cons.