Best Crankdowns

CaliBassin

I’m sure this topic has already been brought up but I was unable to find it. What are some of your go to wake/ crankdowns?  I am looking into buying a couple but I would like to know everything out there and how it performs before I pull the trigger.  Thanks in Advance!

Edited by CaliBassin

I’d list baits but it’s just easier to say all toxics. Absolutely love those baits, man designed them to crank. I’ve had success in all of his models I currently own (mink, whipper snappers, wnc, and wade hoggs)but my most success has came on the whippersnapper. Fish the baits like a regular crankbait. Grass and wood is your best friend. 99% of my success has came from fishing grasslines and pumping into wood. The biggest mistake people make it only waking the baits. if you can get 2 of each bait, keep one stock for 0-3 foot and then buy an extra and weight the hooks and fish it on flouro. The deeper the better. All my biggest fish and 5fish limits on toxics have came from cranking them deep. Don’t be afraid to vary your retrieve either, burn burn pause works phenomenal.  Don’t worry, the extra hook rash from crankin them just adds cool points. 

3 minutes ago, Loganodum38 said:

I’d list baits but it’s just easier to say all toxics. Absolutely love those baits, man designed them to crank. I’ve had success in all of his models I currently own (mink, whipper snappers, wnc, and wade hoggs)but my most success has came on the whippersnapper. Fish the baits like a regular crankbait. Grass and wood is your best friend. 99% of my success has came from fishing grasslines and pumping into wood. The biggest mistake people make it only waking the baits. if you can get 2 of each bait, keep one stock for 0-3 foot and then buy an extra and weight the hooks and fish it on flouro. The deeper the better. All my biggest fish and 5fish limits on toxics have came from cranking them deep. Don’t be afraid to vary your retrieve either, burn burn pause works phenomenal.  Don’t worry, the extra hook rash from crankin them just adds cool points. 

Badass, thanks man! 

cl8 baby possum crank down version, I've owned 3 of them. its not a light bait but fishes easily at least on my setups. 

1 of em waked at the slowest speed and got down 3' (this one i kept with stock hooks/rings) 

2 of em got down 4-6' easily, with one of those bottoming out in 8' of water on a super long cast.

I'm also fishing them on 50lb braid with a 30lb copoly leader and bigger heavier hooks. You can request it from Clayton to do what you want/custom colors too, super great guy to deal with. 

my go to when i first started was a deep crank 9" x2 slammer. the one i had barely waked and would run 3-4' down, was a killer bait to fish by docks. I got another one, but that one only went down like 1'. like most slammers some are just better than others. 

like others have mentioned almost all Ceasars baits are designed to crank down, and get bit. I just grabbed a wake n crank for this season to try out. 

another vote for the g2, but cant get down 3' but that bait gets chewed everywhere

8 hours ago, chevro1et said:

IIRC a couple of guys had great things to say about the CL8 cranking Baby Possum 

@chefchris

@bigpoppabass

Baby Possum gets my vote + CL8 Clayton is an awesome guy to deal with he’s made me a # of custom piss them off crazy colors over the years along with heavier weighted ones that will get 6-10’ down depending on the line used and the rate of speed retrieved. I prefer slow cranking at ice out a few feet below the surface, ice out lakes that have shallow water with lay-downs are the places I target 1st. Stable weather patterns with sunny conditions warm shallows up quickly are the places I target 1st. Think ice out.LOL.      

10461943_455448584619697_1065345492909540723_n.jpg