Mend it doing more harm than good?!?!?!

merkexpress

Whats up SU? I have an interesting question for you all. I have no shame in admitting I am fairly new to the swimbait game so pardon my ignorance. I ordered my first set of WCZ citizens and I have been enjoying them so far. However, I noticed a some damage in the nose section of the bait and wanted to dab some mend it in there just for reassurance sake. When I added the mend it, it seemed to melt the plastic away and make it worse? I figured it just had to do with the plastic used to make the citizens so I attempted to repair of 8" hudd and the same thing happened?! Am I doing something wrong? I was able to "band-aid" the baits with gorilla glue, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Mend it is not a glue. It’s doing what it suppose to. Melt the plastic. You need to dab it in torn area and then hold it together. If you don’t hold it it will split it more. It melts plastic and than allows the torn piece to bond back together if held together 

I have been using a battery operated solder gun for a few years now. They take take about 30 seconds to heat up and are a savior in pike infested waters. I will be replacing mine this year. I think it lasted for well over 3 years. Pays for itself quickly and I feel it is better solution than the glue like products we use. 

Here is the product I have been using

https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-40420L-Cordless-Soldering-Spotlight/dp/B002GQCYUK

I only mend it from the hook point on top of the bait. When you rig up a new one, stick a toothpick through the head where the centering pin and spring is and snip it on both sides as you would for a tail on a hardbait. it should hold up better.

10 hours ago, David Cindrich said:

I have been using a battery operated solder gun for a few years now. They take take about 30 seconds to heat up and are a savior in pike infested waters. I will be replacing mine this year. I think it lasted for well over 3 years. Pays for itself quickly and I feel it is better solution than the glue like products we use. 

Here is the product I have been using

https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-40420L-Cordless-Soldering-Spotlight/dp/B002GQCYUK

There's a video somewhere of Manny Chee using a brazing torch and a metal spatula or butter knife (can't remember exactly) to do repairs on a Battles Shad.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, Low&Slow said:

all the people who dont smoke weed like wtf is that thing lmao

The implement actually looks like a metal spatula used in chemistry labs, aside from the ghetto prison shank tape wrapped handle... we always used butter knives with the torch for recreation. 

Edited by chevro1et

22 hours ago, chevro1et said:

The implement actually looks like a metal spatula used in chemistry labs, aside from the ghetto prison shank tape wrapped handle... we always used butter knives with the torch for recreation. 

Ya im sure hes doing chemistry alright lol.