Opinions advice please

Socalswimbait

Hi guys. Been working on packaging and clear coat for my baits. Decided to put some out there soon and see what happens. Still testing clear coat being I’ve never cleared any of my baits. Looking for some opinions on packaging and what clear coat most like. I know kbs is a fav of a lot. I have been dipping my baits using an oil base clear. Had one peel quick but others seem to be holding up. I think that was prep work that caused it. Or lack there of I should say. 
And what’s everyone’s opinion on hooks, split rings and tails. Put them on bait or leave them in package for customer to put on? I know most like certain hook/ring combos that they will use instead of original. 
Not doing the feathered trebles. Just did em cause I donated those baits to a tourney. 
Thanks all. 

5455189D-4646-4A92-A6C0-1B917D919A2F.jpeg

0226D2A1-3073-421E-A90A-8D7C5DDDEBB1.jpeg

Baits and packaging look great! I like that they are ready to fish right out of the package. When it comes to a clear coat it's hard to beat automotive clear...the only problem is that most require you to use a whole can in short order which is not ideal for individual baits or smaller batches. I've used the sprayable KBS can and am not a fan anymore. The stuff has a strong odor for at least a week and isn't nearly as strong as automotive. Can't speak for dipping KBS though.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

I use automotive clear as well. I keep a few cand on hand and once I have 10 baits ready is when I spray. 

I avoid epoxy and anything that has to be dipped with jointed baits because of the extra work that goes into keeping the joints clean.

I agree with dan on wanting my baits ready to fish out of the box

11 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Baits and packaging look great! I like that they are ready to fish right out of the package. When it comes to a clear coat it's hard to beat automotive clear...the only problem is that most require you to use a whole can in short order which is not ideal for individual baits or smaller batches. I've used the sprayable KBS can and am not a fan anymore. The stuff has a strong odor for at least a week and isn't nearly as strong as automotive. Can't speak for dipping KBS though.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Thank you. Yeah I was thinking of dipping in kbs. Don’t want the spray can stuff. Assumed it’s not as good as getting the pint/quart stuff that can be applied numerous ways. Have you ever dip applied with any auto clears? I’m assuming if they don’t last long than dipping will just make the remainder be worthless after using or shorten usable time. 

3 hours ago, BrhodesBassin said:

I use automotive clear as well. I keep a few cand on hand and once I have 10 baits ready is when I spray. 

I avoid epoxy and anything that has to be dipped with jointed baits because of the extra work that goes into keeping the joints clean.

I agree with dan on wanting my baits ready to fish out of the box

Yeah I was messing with how to dip and hang to limit the runoff into joints, tail holes etc. 

Little clean up and they are good. But yeah anytime you can eliminate a step it saves so much time in the long run. 
I also like baits to be ready to stick fish out of the package. Was just curious if people like the hinkle, toxic set up with components separate in package. 

The baits look amazing! I would definitely buy one if I saw one on the shelf. The packaging looks awesome as well. I agree with the guys above me that its nice to have the bait ready to fish right out of the package. I don't think it matters if the hooks are on the bait or not as long as they come with them. Awesome work man

3 hours ago, nikopap1 said:

The baits look amazing! I would definitely buy one if I saw one on the shelf. The packaging looks awesome as well. I agree with the guys above me that its nice to have the bait ready to fish right out of the package. I don't think it matters if the hooks are on the bait or not as long as they come with them. Awesome work man

Thank you. Will be putting some out there soon. Probably do a giveaway on my Instagram before or when I put some up for sale. 
thanks for the input so far guys

Edited by Socalswimbait

If you use the Spraymax 2k in a can you can put it in the freezer to stop the chemical process and take it out a couple weeks later and use again. I had one can I used over 2 months on one off baits just fine. I take out of the freezer and let it get to room temp over a couple hours, shake an spray, then put it back in freezer.

Wheres a good place to get plastic packaging like that? 

1 hour ago, kennyisnotdead said:

If you use the Spraymax 2k in a can you can put it in the freezer to stop the chemical process and take it out a couple weeks later and use again. I had one can I used over 2 months on one off baits just fine. I take out of the freezer and let it get to room temp over a couple hours, shake an spray, then put it back in freezer.

Google clamshell packaging, I found a bunch on Ebay cheap that worked for me

I found this information helpful, some good info in the comment too-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHy0uTAq2a0

It would be great if they could put KBS in a bag like boxed wine to lengthen the shelf life.

Currently I don't produce enough baits to avoid wasting KBS, so I have been using AlumiUV. I love how easy Alumi UV is to use(after building a curing box) and the low odor, but am not getting the quality of finish I would like.  

11 hours ago, kennyisnotdead said:

I got these clamshell packs thru lure parts online. I looked at amazon and other places on net but liked these more and price was decent. 
This clear coat stuff is a pain. Bad storage, needing curing box or rack, changing sink rate, and sometimes swim. But gotta do it. 
thanks for the input

2 hours ago, TaylorHickman said:

I found this information helpful, some good info in the comment too-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHy0uTAq2a0

It would be great if they could put KBS in a bag like boxed wine to lengthen the shelf life.

Currently I don't produce enough baits to avoid wasting KBS, so I have been using AlumiUV. I love how easy Alumi UV is to use(after building a curing box) and the low odor, but am not getting the quality of finish I would like.  

Yeah I’m thinking buy a pint and dip my baits. But buying $45 in clear and watch it go bad after a batch and not able to do next would suck. I’ve been thinking about going the alumi uv but would need to build a box with lights. More investment in equip. Great hahaha 

I use Bloxygen in the cans of KBS and other urethane based finishes to displace the oxygen in the partially filled cans,  a much cheaper alternative would be to put clean glass marbles or clean river gravel in the can to raise the level of the finish in the can and displace the oxygen also..  just run the finish thru a filter when you pour it into your dipping container.