Reel Pairing

acwatkins

Slowly starting to dip my toes in the swimbait pool. I recently bought a Dobyns Champion 795 as my first dedicated swimbait/a rig rod. Looking to order the reel today. From what I’ve read I’m starting on the lighter end of things. With that in mind what would be a good recommendation for a reel? Right now I’ll be throwing spro rat 50, trout glider, ninja swimmer, etc. the lighter cheaper stuff. I’ve been looking at the Tranx but read about some frequent issues w the level wind? I use only Lew’s for all of my conventional stuff so I’ve also thought about a Super Duty too. Thoughts or reccomendations? Should it definitely be a 300 size?

The tranx is a really good option but you are correct about the level wind. Mine gave out about 2 months ago. Sent it in to shimano and had it fixed in about 2 weeks. Minor inconvenience but I still think it’s one of the better reels on the market.  

I also use a daiwa Lexa 300 which is a lower priced option for a 300 sized reel. Another really good reel.  It’ll do everything you need it to do. 

I haven’t used the Lews super duty but I’ve heard nothing but great things about it and it’s lews so you can’t really go wrong. 

as far as size goes, a 300 is not required. A lot of guys will throw the tranx 200 and be fine. It depends on your application and line size.  

and lastly, welcome to SU:grin:

Can’t speak to Lee’s stuff 

but I love my lexa 300s Winn grip versions. Look around some killer deals online. Does baits to 7oz but really likes 4oz and under. 

the daiwa Luna 253 and 300 are options if you want a round reel. People sleep in these but they’re amazing reels. Some killer deals online as well. 

I have a super duty on my 795 and i really enjoy the setup especially because the whole get up is very light and easy on the arm throughout the day. Haven't caught a whole lot with it but the super has been holding up great and cast a mile. I figured a lot of people would say the tat 200 that's a very popular reel here it seems. Im a pretty die hard lews guy myself I've enjoyed each lews I have and stated with some tourney pros. This year I picked up a tatula sv and it has become my absolute favorite conventional reel, shortly after using that I scored a great deal on a steez SV and cant decided which one I like better. Glad I gave the tatula sv a try my previous experience with the daiwa lexa almost completely turned me away from them all together but there SV offerings are the ish.