• ColbyPearson
    • mmsturgeon
    • wiswimbait
    • FishDr
    • BigWorm

Voting starts now and will end on Thursday 10th 11:56am

ColbyPearson

Year round hudd fishing.

I got on a pretty surprising pattern in the middle of last winter, in ultra cold (34-37 degree) and ultra muddy (1''-4'') visibility Oregon water fishing hudds for large mouth. It was one of the few times when a swimbait turns out to be really the best case scenario bit on a universal scale for not only big fish but large limits as well! I began the day with low expectations with any sort of moving bait whatsoever but the large profile and water displacement turned out to be the ticket. My setup was an Okuma XH 7'11XH with 20# super FC sniper fluoro, the name of the game was a slow roll with incomplete handle turns if that makes sense, so slow there were noticeable pauses between full handle cranks and a few small pops mixed in to add a sense of urgency to possibly coax more bites. I started by quickly sticking a 5lbr, then almost immediately after caught a smaller fish around 2#'s. Within a half hour I got another bite that absolutely shot goose bumps up my spine and neck but it was a swing and a miss. I kept chucking and landed another that was 7.4lbs. I made sure to take another trip and we landed numerous other fish in the 4-6.5lb class.

It's not a real in depth or off the wall technique but it has proven to be the ticket from time to time in the middle of harsh winter conditions and low water temps! I have landed multiple fish over 7lbs, and lots more 4-6# fish in water sub 40 degrees just chucking the good old 8'' hudd around gravel/rock points and remaining weeds. The key is using the weather to attempt to position the fish, on the brighter sunny days I typically catch my fish shallower around dark weeds, wood, and predominantly rock, but if theres passing storms or considerate cold fronts I have done better slightly off those areas such as a depression, channel, or even a deeper mud flat or inside cove style bend.

post-189-14252987741487_thumb.jpg

mmsturgeon

Winter Bass....

Last day of the year 12/31/2012 9.63lbs.

Long cast outside weed line or rock boulders 20-30 feet deep, at best 2 feet visibility, slow steady retrieve allowing bait to just brush on the weeds nothing fancy just consistency; can also add occasional quick full turn on the handle to make the bait jerk side to side… Pow Pow will get you bite. One thing I learn fishing winter boulders or weed lines tend to hold better water temp.

post-189-14252987741939_thumb.jpg

wiswimbait

I'm starting to think the most important part of swimbaiting is timing. I fish a couple little ponds here in town the most with the occasional trip elsewhere in the state to chase bass or esox.

There is a small channel that goes under a bridge connecting 2 parts of this one pond and a nice point extends out at one end of the channel. In the past I've caught some nice fish at this spot but never was able to narrow it down to figure out how to catch them with consistency. This past summer however I came to figure out that it wasn't how I worked a bait or the weather it was ALL TIMING. I caught several 5+ pound bass off this same spot this summer and the sun was at the same level every time. Just barely above the trees to a few minutes from sundown ,maybe a 1/2 hour window. When I got a new rod it was a no brainer where to go first to get a nice fish on it and it didn't let me down.

Another spot across the street at a different pond was just as predictable. As soon as the last bit of light faded I could walk to that a spot throw out a bait towards a cell tower across the pond and get bit within the first few cast. The angle I worked the bait was key there too. That lasted for about a month before something changed and I lost it. No pictures of them fish I just don't take enough but I need to change that this year.

A lot more examples floating around my head but that's enough for now. I'm not saying you should only fish at perfect times because fishing when you can is how you find little windows of activity. I've had times when the heat of the day was the best especially on smallmouth when the water was a little cooler.

post-189-14252987742702_thumb.jpg

FishDR

Slow-rolling the 9" Slammer

This one isn't a new or secret technique, but it has been my #1 approach for getting good action on Colorado bass by day and night (especially at night, 'cause I'm anti-social). I've used it to good effect and now have 3 friends in CO who also spend long hours slow-rolling the 9". Here's the basic approach.

Gear: I throw the Slammer on a seasoned Okuma Guide Select 7'11" H. One of my friends throws it on the MH, but I like the feel of the H, and the XH is a bit too stiff. I use a Curado 301 but any big bait reel ought to work. I use 25-lb CXX; I tried braid and found it was too easy to rip the hooks out of fish when you get short-range strikes (and lots of strikes are at short range - we're talking within 10' of the rod tip). I use a stock original Slammer with upgraded hooks - normally ST41s.

This is the lure of choice - the 9" Slammer; this one has been chewed a bit by fish and hooks, but it works extremely well. Note the upgraded hooks (ST-41s)

Time of year: Anytime the water isn't frozen. The approach is at its best during the summer (love those summer nights) but to my pleasant surprise it has worked in the early spring, late fall, and throughout the year.

Approach: Set-up your cast so that the Slammer is running along or past possible ambush points. This includes weedbeds, rocks, trees, or the shoreline (especially at night). Make a cast past your target and let the lure sit for about 30 seconds - you might give it a twitch or two during the resting period. Then start the slow-roll - you'll need to play with the lure a bit to figure out which speed gives the biggest wake or the most noise, depending on what the fish seem to want. I normally go with a fairly steady retrieve, but sometimes a pause or a quick change of speed pays dividends. Make sure you fish the cast all the way back to the rod and be ready for strikes at very short range - consider bringing extra underwear since those explosions at your feet can have unwanted effects!

Here are a couple of typical CO victims of the slow-rolled Slammer.

post-189-14252987743125_thumb.jpg

BigWorm

In the spirit of keeping it simple... One of my favorite things to do is just use a bright white softbait! The key for me in general is keeping the bait fairly high in the water column and fishing from the inside of the structure as much as possble. With the trolling motor practically on the bank cast way out over the point or other structure you are targeting. This technique I feel can pull fish from a distance and get them tracking. When you reach the g spot a couple of quick rips or hard twitches can trigger an awesome bite! This would obviously be an excellent technique for shore fisherman to utilize as well. Keeping the bait high in the water column will help you not to lose those your swimbaits as well as help you cover more water faster.

-One thing I must add though, the white bait bite is a first or second cast bite only for me. They either crush it or forget about it. Dont keep showing it to them, just keep rotating through your spots or running points.

post-189-14252987743693_thumb.jpg