Dobyns Fury 806 Opinions?

potterm75

Im sure this topic has been covered somewhere on here. I just picked this rod up at a local outdoor expo for under $100. ive read nothing but great things online about Dobyns. This is the first one Ive ever owned. To me it was a steal to fill a void in my rod game. Anything I should know good, bad, or otherwise. Thanks 

I had the fury 806 for over 3 yrs, got me lots of fish and a pb on it.  Loved it but I did end up upgrading to xp just because I found a great deal. 

3 to 4 oz baits were the sweet spot. I did catch fish on baits as small as the little Johnny rat using it. Which is 1.2 oz but it was a tad too much rod for that size bait 

Edited by SumoNinja

Consider it money well spent.  You are not going to find anything under $100 that will be better.  If and when you decide to dive deep into the swimbait game, you can upgrade to something like the Champion line.  Until then you will find the Fury is going to serve you very well.

+10 on all above--I started my swimbait experience a couple years ago with the 795, loved it so much my next rod was the 806. As a few before stated, it's rated up to 8oz but it feels like the sweet spot is right in the 3-4 range. I've thrown a couple 10-inch, 7oz Savage Gear baits on it and honestly it's getting taxed on those, feels a bit sketchy like I've gotta make sure I don't try to whip it or I might do damage. Nice deal scooping one for under $100.

19 hours ago, SacPig916 said:

My only issue with it was week eyelets.

3 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

It's my favorite rod, I have replaced the guides numerous times beating the bank. 

This will be my third season with the 795, second with the 806...should I be expecting maintenance in the nearish future?

36 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

This will be my third season with the 795, second with the 806...should I be expecting maintenance in the nearish future?

I use FG knots exclusively, they give your eyelets a pounding.  If you only use straight something then you should be fine.

I agree with above also, sweet spot is right at 4 to 5oz

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump up a old thread ,I didn't want to start a new one Would the fury 806 be alright for single hook baits like the citizen 6 and 7 or magdraft freestyle ? I'm trying to find a good budget rod for those baits ,8' or under. Thanks in advanced.

9 hours ago, JohnD. said:

Sorry to bump up a old thread ,I didn't want to start a new one Would the fury 806 be alright for single hook baits like the citizen 6 and 7 or magdraft freestyle ? I'm trying to find a good budget rod for those baits ,8' or under. Thanks in advanced.

I like the Fury line of swimbait rods, and use both the 795 and 806 for specific baits.
It’s not ideal, but will work. I have used the 806 on jig hook baits with success. It’s more parabolic than I would like, but have had no issues with hooksets, or loosing fish. It’s sweetspot is in the 4oz-5oz range. As others have noted the upper guides are not double foot and tend to bend real easy. A rod sock and a little care goes a long way. 

Another great option for a budget jig rod would be the Daiwa DSX Swimbait Rod  8’ XH Fast. They can be had for $99 or so. 

hope that helps. 

11 hours ago, Mossyback Angler said:

I like the Fury line of swimbait rods, and use both the 795 and 806 for specific baits.
It’s not ideal, but will work. I have used the 806 on jig hook baits with success. It’s more parabolic than I would like, but have had no issues with hooksets, or loosing fish. It’s sweetspot is in the 4oz-5oz range. As others have noted the upper guides are not double foot and tend to bend real easy. A rod sock and a little care goes a long way. 

Another great option for a budget jig rod would be the Daiwa DSX Swimbait Rod  8’ XH Fast. They can be had for $99 or so. 

hope that helps. 

Thanks for the tip. I have a 795 and like it a lot for smaller glides. I was looking at the Daiwa XH , Bass X 7'10 Xtra heavy , Irod Gen III Bailey 804 or Irod 8' Extra Heavy. Either way , I'm trying to stay around the $150 mark or less for a jig hook rod. Thank you for replying.

I’ve got the Dobyns 806 Fury and the other Dobyns are all Champs. Still use it every trip for baits up to 4.5oz and under. I’ve had mine since 2017 I believe and no issues at all. I personally don’t like it for jig hooked/Beast rigged baits. A bit too much bend for a soft bait rod to me. I throw single hook soft baits on a Gen II Irod 804SB-H (Bailey’s Swim Heavy). It’s a broomstick with just enough bend at the tip that I kept bass pinned on 8oz glides. But it’s really too stiff in general for treble hook baits. It makes an excellent soft bait rod though. The ratings changed on the Gen III. Mines 8’ and the same power is now on an 8’6 irod.