Swimbaits in a professional tournie?

bassturds

On a different forum someone mentioned the pro bass guys are struggling in  55 water right now.  It got me thinking about times when I’m fishing conventional, not getting much switch to a swimbait and start getting bit.  I’d fish a glide bait or something if they ain’t hittin conventional gear, especially in a tournie, can’t force feed them. 

Edited by bassturds

I've had good luck in colder water getting a reaction bite on swimbaits even if the bite is "off" that day for conventional. Either deflecting off cover or some sort of long pause and quick twitch retrieve like with a TK or even a bullshad 4x4 

https://video.bassmaster.com/detail/videos/elite-series-tv-shows/video/5793936979001/2007-bassmaster-elite-at-clear-lake

In that video at around 6:30 there’s a dude using a Hud on Clear Lake. It’s definitely  been done. I wouldn’t be shocked if a lot of guys use larger swimbaits for kicker fish. I go to this fishing guide every so often who used to be on some sort of tournament organization and he said those guys do a lot of ish they don’t talk about publicly. 

Most of them throw one. Palaniuk is the guy you'll hear about these days.. But you'll just never hear or see it on the big stage because swimbait companies aren't the guys paying the bills.

Edited by MA Frog Man

7 hours ago, swimbaitrookie said:

Or Byron Velvick on Clearlake?

Yup! I’ll never forget Kennedy winning clear lake after catching 8lbers all day on a day. This was quite some time ago. Maybe 10 years. I think it was a rago for Velvick

Former neighbor of mine won an Open fishing swimbaits for the first time, and he was motivated by the guy who won a year before.  Pros throwing swimbaits in major tournaments is not a new idea at all.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_123/bass-amistad2-10.html

9 hours ago, MA Frog Man said:

Most of them throw one. Palaniuk is the guy you'll hear about these days.. But you'll just never hear or see it on the big stage because swimbait companies aren't the guys paying the bills.

That makes sense. It’s one of those things you don’t see or hear about that much, cuz they ain’t sponsored by hudd , Matt’s, HPH or Roman made.  So they’ll just they were fishing crank bait or jig.