PB Pike!!!

CG_Fishes

3 hours later and I am still speechless and in complete awe of the size of this fish. Coming in at a FAT 35", this is not only my biggest pike, but the biggest fish of my life! The story behind this catch is truly incredible if you ask me. 2 years ago I received this Mr. Zorba p210 glide bait from a giveaway he ran on instagram. Fast-forward 1 year and I was fishing the bait for pike when I noticed that the tail had cracked, luckily I still had the broken piece. Fast-forward about a year, after talking to @KeepinItReelFishing and @Jim137a (thanks guys) about some fixes I got the bait up and running again with superglue and baking soda. Fast-forward another month and I've been fishing the bait alongside my 8" magdraft and 7" magslowl, no takers, now we are at today. I woke up, took a midterm and headed out to fish. Upon arriving at my first spot, which was full of floating ice and dead animals (beaver, cat, chickens), I realized I had forgotten to pack my trusty WCZ travel board. I decided the tape I had in my bag would be enough to measure any fish I caught, it was. I made my way down to my next spot, but there was someone fishing the good water, I went up to some B-spots and waited it out. He moved, I went over and fished through the area with the magslowl, no takers. I picked up the Zorba, making my way back up river, watching the bait in the crystal clear water as I fished. All of a sudden I saw a huge flash, but no hit, I thought it may have just been my bait but casted back in to be sure. Twitch, twitch, twitch, pause, twitch, BAM. Like a scene from shark-week underwater the fish t-boned the bait. I set and began to attempt to grind the fish in as usual, apparently big pike like to fight! She was pulling drag and doing as she pleased. Finally I locked down the drag and brought her to shore where the guy 50ft up asked if I had caught a carp. I told him it was a pike and he came over and took some pictures for me before I revived her and watched her swim off. This fish had seen some battles, full of scars and missing half the tail, but I'm confident that she'll be healthy enough to tell the story of this battle in the future. It is extremely important to take good care of these fish, make sure you hold them horizontally and give them plenty of water, just holding them is enough for them to regain their energy and swim off. I'm going out everyday the rest of the week looking for one bigger but I'll be happy if this is all I get!

Pike full(1) - 35.jpg

Pike full(2) - 35.jpg

Pike tape - 35.jpg

Pike bait - 35.jpg

Pike release - 35.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

Great story and awesome fish. !!!

36 minutes ago, Big.mammabass said:

Beautiful story, Enjoyed reading it as well. Way to go bud!!! Keep grinding you’re gonna get even bigger ones!!! Cheers 

Thank you, I love taking the time to tell the stories behind my catches

15 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I'd assume she's full of eggs, probably the heaviest they'll be all year, I have no doubt you'll get an even bigger one, Best of luck!

Eggs, suckers, shad, perch, walleye, bass anything she can get a hold of. Thanks man, I'm still hoping to break that 36" mark, I got jipped!

Here's a pic that I think really captured how I felt perfectly

20210309_151135.thumb.jpg.be75d43cf7228c8c4c2f36bc24d9bbb7.jpg

And here's what she did to the bait, minus the super deep scratches in the resin, those jaws are powerful! Going to have to frankenstein a new tail on there since the old one was superglued in 

20210309_164904.thumb.jpg.278e230311da410911941270224ce703.jpg

7 hours ago, Jon P said:

Loved the write up! Hopefully the pike fishing here will get ticking soon!

Thanks man, there was just so much to it that made this one a special catch. Unfortunately Pike ends here on Monday but I'm happy with how my season went regardless of the next few days

Congratulations on the new PB and one heck of a northern pike!  They are one of my favorite fish to target (though pretty much anything that is big and predatory fits the bill) because of the way they so often hammer a bait with sheer evil intent.  It sounds like she definitely fit that category.  Enjoy the moment and I'm sure you'll only relive it seven to eight times an hour for the next couple of weeks.  I hope the midterm went well - perhaps going fishing after tests is the way to go!

19 minutes ago, FishDr said:

Congratulations on the new PB and one heck of a northern pike!  They are one of my favorite fish to target (though pretty much anything that is big and predatory fits the bill) because of the way they so often hammer a bait with sheer evil intent.  It sounds like she definitely fit that category.  Enjoy the moment and I'm sure you'll only relive it seven to eight times an hour for the next couple of weeks.  I hope the midterm went well - perhaps going fishing after tests is the way to go!

Just now, nikopap1 said:

That's a great pike! The write up was well done too. Hope you did well on your midterm!!

Thanks guys, I've already relived the moment plenty and I'm going into another exam now, hopefully that holds true

• 1 month later...