Best Line For Big Swimbaits: NEED ADVICE

GlideGuys

On 7/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, bengyaj said:

Nice. I'll give that a whirl, I've muscled pikes in but not bass just because of what everyone says pulling hooks outta them. FG is topknotch... if only i could tie that knot with some sort consistency haha

The FG is actually super easy, I tie it with a bit of tension by holding the braid in my mouth. Just try it a few times and eventually you’ll get it. Also I use a rizzuto finish which is basically a uni knot which locks it in place. It’s a rock solid knot. 

On 7/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, BigBassLife133 said:

I use 65 braid to mono leader, but for 5 ounce plus baits I use 80 pound braid. My brands of choice are maxcuatro and FC 100 superline for the leader.\

I use maxcuatro 80 lb as well, but have had really really bad luck with fc 100. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I see everyone using pline cxx for there stuff and I’m using pline flouroclear for mine I just started throwing swimbaits and I spooled up with that cause I had a bulk spool because I use it on my conventional. It’s 20 pound I just wanna know if I really am using the right stuff or if I should try CXX or try IZROLINE I use a double San Diego jam for my arashi and a normal San Diego jam for my 6 inch magdraft. 

12 minutes ago, jp_midwest said:

So I see everyone using pline cxx for there stuff and I’m using pline flouroclear for mine I just started throwing swimbaits and I spooled up with that cause I had a bulk spool because I use it on my conventional. It’s 20 pound I just wanna know if I really am using the right stuff or if I should try CXX or try IZROLINE I use a double San Diego jam for my arashi and a normal San Diego jam for my 6 inch magdraft. 

If you're comfortable with the performance aspects (castability, durability, strength, amount of stretch, etc) of the line you're currently using, don't sweat it.  I've been using CXX for a couple years and never really had a problem with it, except I don't like the huge line diameter size.  I just received a spool of P-Line Original and have a spool of Izorline XXX on the way.  Just interested in trying them out to see how they differ and if they may be advantageous for my style of fishing. 

I been using 15,20,and 25# pline orginal  for years. It holds up and you can replace it often.  The Donfather(aka bassingdon) turned me onto it. I also use abrazx an red label for fluorocarbon.

18 hours ago, chevro1et said:

If you're comfortable with the performance aspects (castability, durability, strength, amount of stretch, etc) of the line you're currently using, don't sweat it.  I've been using CXX for a couple years and never really had a problem with it, except I don't like the huge line diameter size.  I just received a spool of P-Line Original and have a spool of Izorline XXX on the way.  Just interested in trying them out to see how they differ and if they may be advantageous for my style of fishing. 

I was recently going to give cxx a try after all the recommendations…was looking for something to throw wakebaits on, flouro was killing the action on some of my baits and I’d had 1 too many castoffs on braid backlashes. When I saw the line diameter I backed way off cause I’m throwing smaller baits on a 200 size reel. I went with sunline defier 22lb and have been super happy. Pretty expensive but each spoolup lasts me as long as abrazx does and the diameter is very thin per lb. I’m planning on even dropping down to the 19 lb next time I buy a spool. Also has very low stretch for a nylon line

19 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I mean I like the stretch and all and that it is pretty invisible but the thing is the abrasion resistance is not the great so like idk how abrasion resistant is cxx so could you tell me

1 hour ago, brootalititties said:

I was recently going to give cxx a try after all the recommendations…was looking for something to throw wakebaits on, flouro was killing the action on some of my baits and I’d had 1 too many castoffs on braid backlashes. When I saw the line diameter I backed way off cause I’m throwing smaller baits on a 200 size reel. I went with sunline defier 22lb and have been super happy. Pretty expensive but each spoolup lasts me as long as abrazx does and the diameter is very thin per lb. I’m planning on even dropping down to the 19 lb next time I buy a spool. Also has very low stretch for a nylon line

Try izor if you haven't same diameter of the CXX but fills way thinner even cast further on my reel . CXX has a coating on there line i Don't think they take in when they labeled the diameter. The CXX fills like rope compared to the izor .

6 hours ago, brootalititties said:

I used 22# and 25# Defier Armilo for a full season and loved it.  For me, the price was worth it for the performance and longevity of the line.  It's just not available here, my buddy picked me up a few spools when he was home in Kansas on vacation that year.

• 2 years later...

Can you throw 1 - 4 oz swim baits, glide baits & sonar spoons on izorline xxx  super coploly 15/25 lb test? Would I need a fluoro for clear lakes? I have a set up with 10lb pline cbx and like some have mentioned it is noticeably thicker