side mounting hooks on deps swim baits

manansalsa

i came across a guy on instagram with username "okadamashii_biwako" who seems to be mounting vertical jigging hooks to the side of his deps swim baits... how do you think he does this, and what's the benefit? i think the deps code name bass also has a hook on the cheek of the bait. pretty interesting to me

C1C4D301-863B-4AA9-B683-86204DA6FF87.jpeg

B3FDF7AB-FC8A-433B-8FDE-848D8820AE58.jpeg

So, these baits all have a front treble and a back treble, and now we're adding a frog hook to each cheek? What next, we gonna Butch Brown it and add a jig hook to the tail as well? Is anyone truly having issues with double-trebled baits having a bad hookup ratio? This is one of the most ludicrous mods I've seen, these guys are gonna tear up and potentially kill some big fish before this is over. Irony is the fish that hit these baits are the ones we LEAST wanna injure (not that we want to injure any, but I'm sure you get my point).

Not a rant against you OP, glad you posted this here, I'm just completely flabbergasted. I thought the Japanese treated the LMB with almost Godlike reverence, guess I'm wrong?

20 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

So, these baits all have a front treble and a back treble, and now we're adding a frog hook to each cheek? What next, we gonna Butch Brown it and add a jig hook to the tail as well? Is anyone truly having issues with double-trebled baits having a bad hookup ratio? This is one of the most ludicrous mods I've seen, these guys are gonna tear up and potentially kill some big fish before this is over. Irony is the fish that hit these baits are the ones we LEAST wanna injure (not that we want to injure any, but I'm sure you get my point).

Not a rant against you OP, glad you posted this here, I'm just completely flabbergasted. I thought the Japanese treated the LMB with almost Godlike reverence, guess I'm wrong?

Looks like all other hooks have been removed in this mod. If anything this has made it harder for the fish to get a hook deep in its throat if that’s what you’re inferring. I imagine it was done in response to some observed behavior like short strikes or perhaps he fished the bait differently, for example closer to the bottom where it may be getting hit frOm the side/top . Would also help with snagging bottom. Not sure why you’re so quick to lambast it. Judging by all the extra wire and grenade weights in place of the original hooks he’s probably fishing it closer to bottom but that’s a total guess

Edited by brootalititties

4 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

Looks like all other hooks have been removed in this mod. If anything this has made it harder for the fish to get a hook deep in its throat if that’s what you’re inferring. I imagine it was done in response to some observed behavior like short strikes or perhaps he fished the bait differently, for example closer to the bottom where it may be getting hit frOm the side/top . Would also help with snagging bottom. Not sure why you’re so quick to lambast it. Judging by all the extra wire and grenade weights in place of the original hooks he’s probably fishing it closer to bottom but that’s a total guess

I concur….looks like some innovative rigging for bottom fishing hardbaits.  

59 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

If your reckoning is correct then yup, all I said about eighteen hooks on a bait doesn't apply here. If these hooks are additions and not replacements, though, I think you're absolutely sure why I'm lambasting it, doesn't take a lot of thought to see why. 

I hope you're right.

5 hours ago, brootalititties said:

5 hours ago, tHeINFamoUS said:

I concur….looks like some innovative rigging for bottom fishing hardbaits.  

All the lead tape on the front of the Bullshooter immediately led me to the same conclusion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 7:47 AM, Jon P said:

Love looking at Okadamashii's page, that guy modifies the hell out of his gear. If I had to guess the head hook arrangement is for catching more finicky fish tight to the bottom. 

On 6/29/2021 at 11:25 AM, aikenyounggun said:

The second 250 pic has a drop shot weight attached to the rear hook hanger.

And I have had issues with not getting hooks into fish on a 250.  So I’ve played around with some hook placement 

any ideas on the steps he took to do this mod? looking to try it out 

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2021 at 11:45 PM, manansalsa said:

i came across a guy on instagram with username "okadamashii_biwako" who seems to be mounting vertical jigging hooks to the side of his deps swim baits... how do you think he does this, and what's the benefit? i think the deps code name bass also has a hook on the cheek of the bait. pretty interesting to me

C1C4D301-863B-4AA9-B683-86204DA6FF87.jpeg

B3FDF7AB-FC8A-433B-8FDE-848D8820AE58.jpeg

There is a textbook called "Biology & Ecology of Fishes 2nd edition" it's by James S. Diana. In chapter 11, foraging and behavior, it talks about predation and capture success. One of the talking points is WHERE on the body a predator fish will strike it's prey. "Predators most commonly strike from the side of their prey. A strike angle of 90° indicates the predator attacking prey directly from the side, 0° directly at the head, and 180° at the tail. While 90° attacks were most common, predators attacked from almost any angle except from 180° (the tail)."

It also goes on to discuss the success rates and whatnot. I would be willing to bet that the "cheek set" hook is there because that's where fish naturally strike. If you look at the OP's reference photos you can clearly see that all other hooks have been removed. 

Most lures catch more fishermen than fish. 

• 2 months later...

I know it's an old thread but I couldn't help it. I did something similar to this on an old Depp's  175 that had  been damaged.  

I removed the  treble hooks, and added top hooks attached to hardware with a braid leash that runs under the skin.  The hooks are are held firmly in place through a small hole in the skin,  but when pulled release from the bait.

I balanced  it with a couple sticker weights under the skin so it swims level and sits vertically on the bottom.  Painted it myself with rubber worm paint. Kinda ugly but Action looks great along the bottom of my pool. But have yet to fish it. 

16827269635761537783150385169986.jpg

20230428_164717.jpg