Expensive baits from shore?

unbreakable_bassin

Anyone have any cool tips or tricks on not loosing baits? Besides going swimming? Just bought a few baits I CAN'T loose! One floats so no big deal. The other is the deps 250, I know it's slow sink. I'm thinking that it's a bait I might fish quicker and shallower though? Any advice is very appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any cool tips or tricks on not loosing baits? Besides going swimming? Just bought a few baits I CAN'T loose! One floats so no big deal. The other is the deps 250, I know it's slow sink. I'm thinking that it's a bait I might fish quicker and shallower though? Any advice is very appreciated. Thanks!

Become great friends with someone who enjoys scuba!

:lol: , enjoy the bait bro!

I', in the same situation. I've learned to be a little more careful with my casts and you have to work some baits a little faster. You'll get your heart broke eventually, but thats part of it.

It sucks losing them but I've just accepted that fact that if you want to play you gotta pay sometimes. I've been on a bad streak lately and it always stings a little (or a lot depending on the bait).

I've learned that I won't fish a bait from shore that I couldn't stand losing. The odds are just higher that I won't be able to get it back than if I were in a boat.

One good thing is that I memorize the structure in regular spots that I fish. A lot of trial and error. But it really helps the way I will fish the bait.

Funny, this past Saturday a broke off a favorite bait. Really bummed about it. I went back early Easter morning with fins and mask and got it. Stoked!

Why buy a bait if you won't fish it to it's fullest? Losing baits sucks, but it will happen, that's just part of the game. If you don't want to risk losing a bait, don't fish it. Every time you make a cast you are risking losing a bait, you never know when there could be a nick in your line or if you will get a backlash that will break your line.

I've lost expensive baits in the past and chances are I'll lose them again, it's part of fishing.

I was out a couple days ago trying out all my new baits. Throwing a brand new 6" hudd rof12 down over a rockpile and hung it up on the back. Well...also got a new lure retriever over the winter so it was a good time to try it out. Took the help of a friend, but after about 5 minutes I got it back. Already paid for itself. I would suggest getting one!

I agree mostly with everyone. It's gonna happen eventually. And if you arent throwin in the right places, you arent going to get bit. BUT, I dont see why you cant throw less expensive baits while fishing from shore that will be just as affective as some other more expensive bait. If Im fishing from shore I pretty much stick to 6" hudds, matt's gill's, BBZs, and anything that floats. That way Im not out 50+ bucks if I lose one. And let's be honest, slammers always work ;)

I just tie a good knot and fish. Had a close call this past weekend with a deps 250 nt. Just got it and was about 25 min into it, when I get caught up on a hose for the air pumps in this cpl. Thought it was gone, but Ben is a bad ass and builds great stuff. Was able to flex the custom xh to its limits to lift the hose out of the muck on the bottom and bring it in a little at a time. So I got it back an hour or so later, shed half my spool of streched line, and tied it back on and went about my fishing.

Thanks again Ben, other rods would have not done the job here.

I was out a couple days ago trying out all my new baits. Throwing a brand new 6" hudd rof12 down over a rockpile and hung it up on the back. Well...also got a new lure retriever over the winter so it was a good time to try it out. Took the help of a friend, but after about 5 minutes I got it back. Already paid for itself. I would suggest getting one!

I agree mostly with everyone. It's gonna happen eventually. And if you arent throwin in the right places, you arent going to get bit. BUT, I dont see why you cant throw less expensive baits while fishing from shore that will be just as affective as some other more expensive bait. If Im fishing from shore I pretty much stick to 6" hudds, matt's gill's, BBZs, and anything that floats. That way Im not out 50+ bucks if I lose one. And let's be honest, slammers always work ;)

Which retriever do you have? I used to have one of the ones shaped like a dog but misplaced it a couple years back. I've also been looking at these "lure knocker" things, anybody use them?

I'd kick my own ass hard if I lost a $200 bait to a nick in the line,or a birds nest.

I've been pretty lucky to not have lost a bait that cost over $100 but I tend to make my own luck by always making sure my line is in good shape,same for the knot,and If in doubt I'll use a floating bait,or keep a slow sink bait moving with the rod tip higher. Dragging a hardbait full of hanging hooks into a brushy hell hole does no good. With all that said I've had some close calls,and I've got wet for bait or 2.

44 mag is the ish.

Too bad you can hardly find them any more.

Pretty easy for me, did a yahoo search on it and found the maker's email address, then sent him an email. He gave me his paypal info and a date that it would be shipped(2-3 weeks from the day I contacted him) and then I got it in the mail around the time he said. If you need the email address, just send me a pm and I will look around in my emails/paypal and find it for you :D I think it was $29 total?? Might be a little off?