Loveletter to friends and co-anglers in my boat, would you sign this contract?

SKSlide

Guys, after getting my 3rd bass boat I just have a few things I've found to be annoying when bringing others along. Keep in mind I never ask for anything. I pay for gas, ice, etc. All you have to do is ride....sign here..

My boat is not a brand new, 75,000 boat but to me it is something I take pride in and love. Its a lot of work to keep it looking nice and keep it up so just because it isn't a brand new boat doesn't mean you aren't obligated to treat it as such as it isn't your property nor your right to decide how to treat it based on its age. 

My boat and storage compartments are yours to use while we're out but my boat is not a trash can or ashtray ,so whatever you bring, including cigarettes and food, etc you need to properly dispose of and make sure it isn't left behind for me to clean up..you are not a child. Once again, respect my property and just be a decent human being. No ashes on my carpet,  no food left on my carpet. Also, do not bring your dye for your baits. If you want to use it on your boats be my guest but as my guest you will not. 

You will not dictate when the trip ends if you are going with me. You will leave when I am ready if you've ridden with me to the lake in my vehicle. If you want to leave early meet me at the ramp in your own car and I'll drop you at the dock. 

You will not dictate to me how and where we fish unless you have more knowledge and expertise than I do. Ideas are welcomed and if I agree we will try it. Otherwise I put fish in the boat and we'll do what I think is best given the conditions and situation.

Do not move my equipment out of the way to make more room for you and your crap. You will not make it less convenient for me in my own boat. Do not break down my net because you think it takes up a lot of space. You will leave it together so we are ready for a big fish when needed. If you break it down and I lose a big fish because of it you won't be going again soon, not with me.

Is this unreasonable guys? I think not.

I agree with the whole respect my boat part. IMO, The unfortunate thing is that you cannot change the way someone is. Now, from the get go, if they do not already assume that they shouldn't be doing those things, then I think I wouldn't want to take them fishing in the first place. As a boat owner, I am cautious about this and I just learned to be more aware on who I invite fishing. I believe it really comes down to that, unfortunately. When you see someone doing something you don't like, I would politely mention to them if they can "take the trash out at the launch" or "throw cigarette ash overboard instead"..etc. If they don't respect your comment, then you have your answer. 

5 hours ago, SKSlide said:

Guys, after getting my 3rd bass boat I just have a few things I've found to be annoying when bringing others along. Keep in mind I never ask for anything. I pay for gas, ice, etc. All you have to do is ride....sign here..

My boat is not a brand new, 75,000 boat but to me it is something I take pride in and love. Its a lot of work to keep it looking nice and keep it up so just because it isn't a brand new boat doesn't mean you aren't obligated to treat it as such as it isn't your property nor your right to decide how to treat it based on its age. 

My boat and storage compartments are yours to use while we're out but my boat is not a trash can or ashtray ,so whatever you bring, including cigarettes and food, etc you need to properly dispose of and make sure it isn't left behind for me to clean up..you are not a child. Once again, respect my property and just be a decent human being. No ashes on my carpet,  no food left on my carpet. Also, do not bring your dye for your baits. If you want to use it on your boats be my guest but as my guest you will not. 

You will not dictate when the trip ends if you are going with me. You will leave when I am ready if you've ridden with me to the lake in my vehicle. If you want to leave early meet me at the ramp in your own car and I'll drop you at the dock. 

You will not dictate to me how and where we fish unless you have more knowledge and expertise than I do. Ideas are welcomed and if I agree we will try it. Otherwise I put fish in the boat and we'll do what I think is best given the conditions and situation.

Do not move my equipment out of the way to make more room for you and your crap. You will not make it less convenient for me in my own boat. Do not break down my net because you think it takes up a lot of space. You will leave it together so we are ready for a big fish when needed. If you break it down and I lose a big fish because of it you won't be going again soon, not with me.

Is this unreasonable guys? I think not.

Well said. 

Not unreasonable at all. It's all pretty much common sense. However, as an old timer once told me, he said "You know Chris, sometimes common sense, is not so common". I never forgot that quote.