316 Gill Glide Heavy Float

jkarol24

316 Gill Glide Heavy Float

Dug another old video out of the stash, hopefully am able to shoot some new stuff later this week as I am running low on video inventory after this crazy summer.

The 316 Gill Glide is a 2 pc resin Gill profile, featuring a soft tail and clean paint jobs. This bait is the Heavy float version, meaning that the top 1/4 of the bait floats out of the water at rest (there is also a slow sink variety). The bait comes in at 5.5", 2.5 oz, and I also had the now-retired Alec Weiker tie some feathered trebles with PE assist cord (stock hangers are fixed). Retail is $350

The straight moderate retrieve produces a thumping and wide swim, with the bait turning at least 45 degrees off of center. The bait shows alot of stability, with body roll that is present but very controlled. No issues with laying on its side or rolling over etc, as the bait swims along in a panicked and fleeting disposition. Increasing speed slightly gives a harder thump as that head turns hard... Depth wise, it will stay on top of the surface creating a wake and ripple across the water, but if but if splashes down a foot deep, and you begin your retrieve, it tends to hold that depth back to the boat so long as you don't pause.

I creasing a speed to a burn continues to show off the baits stability, as the waking commotion becomes even more present, along with an audible chop on the surface. I was able to reel this thing as fast as possible without any blowouts etc. You will also notice the bait stays slightly more upright as speed is increased.  Conversely, the bait will crawl at very slow speeds, with a lot of body roll that pushes some water. The bait does not lack in action as the speed is reduced, and the angler can choose whichever retrieve suits their needs.

When fishing near cover, and younwish to keep the bait in a small area, fast choppy reel bumps will get the bait turning aggressively In 180 degree turns. The bait moves laterally as much as it does towards the angler, giving alot of action within a small bite window. The bait does dive slightly, but stays within 6 inches of the surface, and comes to the top on a pause. You can get the bait to turn even harder and faster with rod tip bumps as well, but I prefer to use the reel in this application.

Making those rod bumps longer and slower will get the Gill to Glide in a wider and easier manner, with a less erratic turn and short but present Glide. With it being a heavy float, do not expect the bait to Glide out with much distance, but i was able to get a body length or more of Glide in either direction. Keep in mind that if your retrieves are too long, the bait tends to slightly nose down, which may be both a positive or a negative depending on your style. I would expect the slow sink version to be better suited for this application.

I found that a fast and erratic presentation offered the most appealing action with the 316 Gill, and I utilized a mixture of fast straight retrieve, pauses, and reel chops and rod twitches. The bait easily transitions between each style of retrieve, and the angler is only limited to their imagination.

I tossed the 316 Gill on a Leviathan Heavy, Tranx 400, and 20 lb Copoly. I would expect that any line choice would be just fine, with fluro possibly aiding in Glide distance as it sinks below the surface to pull the bait down. Braid should also be fine, as the bait was able to accept inputs well.

Hope you enjoyed the review. I intend to shoot some more this week, and get some more videos out for your viewing pleasure soon!

Thank you for putting in the time and effort to film and write up these detailed, unbiased reviews. They will never be perfect in everyone's eyes, but to the vast majority your work is a great service.

Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Could we get a review without the garbage hooks

Feel free to start making your own swim videos and reviews sir, this entire forum is dedicated to people spending their time and resources to make information available to all. I invite you to contribute, as we all enjoy reviews from multiple perspectives. I will continue making these videos and reviews, and I apologize if they don't suit your desires. 

6 hours ago, jkarol24 said:

Feel free to start making your own swim videos and reviews sir, this entire forum is dedicated to people spending their time and resources to make information available to all. I invite you to contribute, as we all enjoy reviews from multiple perspectives. I will continue making these videos and reviews, and I apologize if they don't suit your desires. 

I’m to busy catching fish man maybe get with the program 

4 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Understood, thank you.

To be quite honest, if the program you are referring to is getting out there and catching, then I'd love to join.  The reviews are made in those 20 minute windows here and there when I don't have the time to pull out the boat and get to fishin. Trust me, I wish I had more time to dedicate to fishing. But summer time is rough. Hopefully come fall I will be out there fishing alot more than I will be shooting review videos. I've never said my videos are the best, or perfect, or worth watching. I just do what I can with the time and resources I'm alotted... I'm doing my best, and I apologize if it isn't enough.

Edited by jkarol24

6 hours ago, jkarol24 said:

Understood, thank you.

To be quite honest, if the program you are referring to is getting out there and catching, then I'd love to join.  The reviews are made in those 20 minute windows here and there when I don't have the time to pull out the boat and get to fishin. Trust me, I wish I had more time to dedicate to fishing. But summer time is rough. Hopefully come fall I will be out there fishing alot more than I will be shooting review videos. I've never said my videos are the best, or perfect, or worth watching. I just do what I can with the time and resources I'm alotted... I'm doing my best, and I apologize if it isn't enough.

Dude your videos are awesome! I look forward to them and what the next bait might be. They’re valuable for someone looking to spend a bunch of money on a bait and wanting to see how it looks before making that commitment. So, your best is surely enough. Keep it up!

15 hours ago, Whammy said:

Dude your videos are awesome! I look forward to them and what the next bait might be. They’re valuable for someone looking to spend a bunch of money on a bait and wanting to see how it looks before making that commitment. So, your best is surely enough. Keep it up!

I appreciate your support, and am glad you enjoy the videos sir! 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:16 PM, BASS_SWINGER said:

Why are you even browsing this forum? And not only that— watching videos on this forum? Shouldn’t you be out there being busy catching fish????

The Swimbait community is so toxic now because of guys like you. It’s pathetic. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:00 AM, BASS_SWINGER said:

Could we get a review without the garbage hooks

Send @jkarol24 one with your hooks of choice, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to do a review for u