How The World Wide Web Has Taken the Joy Out of Buying Baits

Infidel

All of this madness with the last couple of realeases has made me realize how much I miss taking a day and cruising Southern California looking for baits. Especially in the late 90's. I remember starting at The Hook Up in Upland, place where I bought my first Z-plug, and cruising all over southern California on a treasure hunt to see the latest and greatest new bait, rod, or reel. After The Hook Up I would head down Mountain to Kenny's Rod and Reel, then it was off to Sav-On Tackle in Sante Fe Springs. I still remember the first time I saw a Castaic trout sitting in their glass case. Then it was off to Bass World West. What a desitanation huh? That place was the coolest!!! There was always something new to see there. Then it was north on the 55 for a quick stop at the Longfin and then a long stop at Anglers Marine. That is where I bought my first Triple-Trout and Slammer. Then i'd swing by Turner's for a few and call it a day.

Sounds like a lot of work and most people probably like all of this more than driving around all day but there was something special about finding out and learning about a new bait in person. There was a certain amount of romance to it that is just absoluty gone now.

I don't want my gripping to come across as a personal attack on Mickey, he is a more than generous man and I have been lucky enough to be the recipient of that generosity once. This is really geared toward the internet in general and the way it has changed fishing. I hate ESPN and Mark Zona too but that is for another day ;)

Who is Mark Zona? :lol:

When you are sick of something , turn it off. If the internet makes you think it takes the joy out of it. Turn it off. Simple as that. When you come back to this it will be just like driving to those stores again. Because you will miss this too ;)

Not for me. I like the web to buy baits. I can find what I want and it is rarely out of stock and typically at a better price. I usually still stop by my local tackle shop to get the scoop and to purchase special items.

Not only that but the www has given birth to the prostaffer with a larger group of people to hear him. He don't have to even be able catch fish better than any average fisherman but just sit around and talk like he knows what he is talking about to sell you something. Before you would go by the local tackle shop and there would be some guy in there talking about a bait or fish he caught but he had to back it up or somebody would call him out on it or tell you the guy was full of bull. Now the moderators on websites where we all go to talk fishing love and protect the prostaffers and advertisers because it is money in thier pockets. We still have a couple of the good tackleshops here where you can go in and shop and talk fishing and at times learn something but they are disappearing fast.

All of this madness with the last couple of realeases has made me realize how much I miss taking a day and cruising Southern California looking for baits. Especially in the late 90's. I remember starting at The Hook Up in Upland, place where I bought my first Z-plug, and cruising all over southern California on a treasure hunt to see the latest and greatest new bait, rod, or reel. After The Hook Up I would head down Mountain to Kenny's Rod and Reel, then it was off to Sav-On Tackle in Sante Fe Springs. I still remember the first time I saw a Castaic trout sitting in their glass case. Then it was off to Bass World West. What a desitanation huh? That place was the coolest!!! There was always something new to see there. Then it was north on the 55 for a quick stop at the Longfin and then a long stop at Anglers Marine. That is where I bought my first Triple-Trout and Slammer. Then i'd swing by Turner's for a few and call it a day.

Sounds like a lot of work and most people probably like all of this more than driving around all day but there was something special about finding out and learning about a new bait in person. There was a certain amount of romance to it that is just absolute gone now.

Bass World West was one of my favorites! Also grabbed a couple of swimbaits at Longfin a couple of days ago. There is def a unique vibe in local shops that can never be beat. The internet brings an amazing experience to life as well but with that comes the bad side that includes the loss of a lot of brick and mortar stores.

I remember them days well....earlier even...I got my education in swimbaits in like 91 at the Hook Up in Upland....Mike and Gene were cool guys. Silks used to do seminars and sling baits there...there is something cool about seeing stuff close up before you buy it. The internet is convenient and fast and opened up the door to a lot of guys that wouldn't otherwise have access to any of this stuff much less Mickeys stuff. Anglers marine is ok...they have the best selection of swimbaits I've seen in a shop.....if I just have to have something now I can usually get it there with a minimal drive....its like the days of buying records (I'm old!) it was an experience checking out the cover and just browsing for hours...now you have i-tunes. Things get less personal and that I don't care for. Thats the cool thing about custom builders like Mickey and a handful of other guys. There's something to identify with not just a package hanging in K-mart.

JK

Coyote bait and tackle is my local spot. I hope that place lasts forever. It's awesome walking into a tackle shop and everyone behind the counter goes "Hey what's man, how's the fishing been?" All those dude there are super cool, not to mention Denise is pretty awesome too! Support the local guys when you can, they are very loyal to their customers!

It's awesome walking into a tackle shop and everyone behind the counter goes "Hey what's man, how's the fishing been?" All those dude there are super cool, not to mention Denise is pretty awesome too! Support the local guys when you can, they are very loyal to their customers!

Get that about everywhere in southern california but Anglers. Well I take that back, there is 1 cool cat at Anglers. The rest are just too cool for school. Then again I haven't been there in almost two years so things may have changed.....