Best Swimbaits for Winter Fishing

BigBassLife133

Depends where you're located in the country, depth of water, etc. I do well with a deps 145 in the northeast all winter long. Almost every year my biggest fish come in the winter. My advice is to try everything, just slower.

Edited by libassman

10 hours ago, libassman said:

Depends where you're located in the country, depth of water, etc. I do well with a deps 145 in the northeast all winter long. Almost every year my biggest fish come in the winter. My advice is to try everything, just slower.

That’s interesting the 145 produces for you all winter long in the Northeast. I just picked one up my self out of curiosity on its size, and to experiment with when and where to use it. Being from the northeast myself, I did not figure it would be effective in the winter months.

If you don’t mind, I am interested on how you apply it to winter fishing. Would like to apply and experiment with it myself.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

If you want to do something a little different, try slow rolling a multijoint swimmer. I've had luck doing this with Triple Trouts and other homemade baits in the dead of winter. Tick the tops of any grass you can find and rip it through...you'll be surprised by how hard they'll hit it!

On 11/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, danthefisherman said:

If you want to do something a little different, try slow rolling a multijoint swimmer. I've had luck doing this with Triple Trouts and other homemade baits in the dead of winter. Tick the tops of any grass you can find and rip it through...you'll be surprised by how hard they'll hit it!

Yup. Hard to believe tho. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 3:17 AM, Mossyback Angler said:

That’s interesting the 145 produces for you all winter long in the Northeast. 

I got out last weekend in north Jersey. The edges of the lake were skim ice the whole time I wish fishing. Got one bite each on an Arashi and Baitsanity (lost one at the bank and landed the other) . I was slow rolling them but the bites actually came on some pretty aggressive gliding retrieves. Bites were equally aggressive. It was a pretty eye opening trip for me. 

Edited by Mkel83

1 hour ago, Mkel83 said:

I got out last weekend in north Jersey. The edges of the lake were skim ice the whole time I wish fishing. Got one bite each on an Arashi and Baitsanity (lost one at the bank and landed the other) . I was slow rolling them but the bites actually came on some pretty aggressive gliding retrieves. Bites were equally aggressive. It was a pretty eye opening trip for me. 

Wow. That’s some eye opening  information there. I’m in Central NJ, still have plenty of fishable water as of now, but been a slow go from the bank. The fishery I am working has the quality for sure, just have not unlocked the cold water bite yet. 

Thanks for sharing the info, I appreciate it.

On 12/2/2021 at 5:30 AM, bassturds said:

No hudds? ROF 0 with nail weights so it’s like ROF 1 or 2.  Fish it in shallow ponds. Deadly.  
A TK fished like a jerkbait! 

When you are saying fish a TK like a jerk bait are popping it very hard? I have issues with it rolling when I find it like a jerk bait