Gomexus vs drt varial

pumaftd

So I recently bought a gomexus flat handle 110, for the price it seems like a solid handle. I’ve never had or tried a varial & wanted someone’s opinion if they’re really worth 5x the price of a gomexus. Thanks!

I started out using varial handles an loved them.  Gomexus sent me 3 handles to try out before they got popular. I used the gomexus  handles for a year.  I put them through hell an they never failed me.  I ended up selling my varial handles an picking up more gomexus handles. If you got the $ to blow on varial handles for all your setups go ahead.  If you want to save a few $ an have some sick handles go with gomexus.  The gomexus handles have good bearings in them an they come with every nut you need. Left,right and a nut to fit abu. To me it comes down to how flashy you want to be.  I did pick up the gomexus measuring board an love it. It got a folding bump at 0 so you can slide the fish up an  not worry about them sliding past the 0 mark. The board rolls up around the bump an velcros closed.  An it has a clip to hang on your bag

Agreed I have two now and prefer them over the DRT based on price. Hawgtech is a great one too and my personal favorite. Their 120 mm carbon handle with the silicon knobs is f$kin money!!! I like that it reduces the weight being carbon as opposed to the heavy chunks of aluminum. Sometimes this helps balance a combo out (my megabass 4 piece travel rod is tip heavy and needs the aluminum handles to help combat that) I just recently grabbed the titanium 120mm handle from Gomexus and so far I’m really impressed. Looks are top notch and seems durable and light. Drt makes a quality product no doubt but the alternatives are no slouch’s either. Hawgtech is made right here in the USA too!!!

Edited by Habitual_lip_ripper
Typo

9 minutes ago, Habitual_lip_ripper said:

Agreed I have two now and prefer them over the DRT based on price. Hawgtech is a great one too and my personal favorite. Their 120 mm carbon handle with the silicon knobs is f$kin money!!! I like that it reduces the weight being carbon as opposed to the heavy chunks of aluminum. Sometimes this helps balance a combo out (my megabass 4 piece travel rod is tip heavy and needs the aluminum handles to help combat that) I just recently grabbed the titanium 120mm handle from Gomexus and so far I’m really impressed. Looks are top notch and seems durable and light. Drt makes a quality product no doubt but the alternatives are no slouch’s either. Hawgtech is made right here in the USA too!!!

Hawgtechs are amazing to i have one on my ryoga 1520 crazycranker  i also put a gomexus red star drag on the ryoga. I put the ryoga on the swimbait universe F5 rod an it matches perfectly 

20230110_164618.jpg

The only issue I have had with the Hawgtech handles (I have 4 or 5 of them) is the shitty retention screw they include. I have super glued one into the handle cause they just don't sink far enough to grab threads. Love them otherwise, though. 

It's like comparing a Casio and a Rolex. Do you NEED a Rolex to tell time? No. The Casio does that just fine. But a Rolex is really nice, a status symbol, high quality, etc. Do you NEED a DRT handle to reel in a fish? No. But I own several of their handles in various lengths and I tell you...it's nice. From the quality, to the knobs, bearings, etc. Do I catch more fish because of it? Nope. But it's...real...nice. Never owned a Gomexus handle so can't speak on that.

never had the drt handles (or the livre, which makes the drt handles), buddy has a few on his set ups 3 reels, they look and performed great so far for him, he's got deep pockets and loves all things JDM. i cant justify having multiple handles for my set ups, but some guys do, more power to em 

for me the gomexus work great for what i need/want, for $60 they're touch to beat, been fishing them a few seasons now and zero issues, have 100-120mm depending on the reel, just got the 110mm with flat knobs (the ripped off wcz ones) and its super nice 

kind lame they jacked that flat knob idea, but they did a good job on em 

only thing i can say is to tighten all the screws down for the knob caps, had one loosen up while out fishing, but had the tool on me so wasn't a big deal. 

i run 6-10 set ups so i like my stuff to all be similar, so the drt handles are just too rich for me to have all my set ups ready to go. 

hawgtech is also great, ran those for many seasons without issues except for that tiny retention screw

I luv the gomexus handles! U can't beat the quality for the price! I don't have deep pockets so their perfect for my budget...I've owned hawgtech in the past & also had the issues with the screw...I tend to swap handles around often so the thread in the hawgtech handle would start to open up...

I have had a few Gomexus handles, never fished with a Hawgtech or Varials, but I do eventually want a Varial setup. Overall, I do really like the gomexus for the price. I’ve had some 95mm ones and just this week received a 120mm one as well.

I gotta say I do like the gomexus knob color choices a lot. So much more and are a lot more readily available compared to DRT. For example, I want Grey round or fat knobs for my setup, but with DRT, they’re so rare that just the TPE knobs would be more than an entire Gomexus handle. 

One downfall of the Gomexus is that I find the smaller handles are too thin, maybe they’ve changed it but there is a lot of flex in the 95mm and below for me. Not unfishable and definitely good for the price, but there is flex for sure. My 120s are much much more stable though. 

I don’t really like some of the Hawgtech options too, as I feel the knobs are too small and I really dislike straight handles over a swept design, just feels awkward. 

Overall I just say go with Gomexus unless you have money and want a smaller handle size, because the small standard ones are just a bit flimsy (at least back when I bought them). They have a lot of options and are usually readily available compared to the competitors!

A458A75F-B4E4-4584-8865-12D9AA0535DB.jpeg

I’ve had both I like the DRT more bc of the knobs and wheels options definitely not bc of the price. I’ve had gomexus for a long time on my Stradic and anlways thought highly of them still do. Ended up prefering studio composite more than anything. Only bc it has functional differences compared to the cnc aluminum handles. They’re Very light, very strong.Carbon fiber is nice to look at as well aesthetically speaking. Comes with hardware for every brand like the gomexus. helps that I can order off their store when  ever I please as well. 

6 hours ago, BittyRanger said:

I’ve had both I like the DRT more bc of the knobs and wheels options definitely not bc of the price. I’ve had gomexus for a long time on my Stradic and anlways thought highly of them still do. Ended up prefering studio composite more than anything. Only bc it has functional differences compared to the cnc aluminum handles. They’re Very light, very strong.Carbon fiber is nice to look at as well aesthetically speaking. Comes with hardware for every brand like the gomexus. helps that I can order off their store when  ever I please as well. 

Gomexus has a studio composite rip-off and it’s sooo good. Even comes with an adapter so you can use it with both 8x5 and 7x4 reels. The knobs are huge yet extremely light, and the entire handle, knob, nut setup is $70.

51F02C1E-2511-496D-9473-A443EB17CDFC.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...