Gomexus vs drt varial

pumaftd

2 hours ago, Bassmann86 said:

this is why you don’t use gomexus and why varials are well worth the price of admission. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDTZ5wupBqs/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

When are you ever going to apply an inward force on both knobs while fishing? Seems like far more people here have gomexus rather than the livre due to accessibility, and you never hear about flex issues

On 5/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, manansalsa said:

When are you ever going to apply an inward force on both knobs while fishing? Seems like far more people here have gomexus rather than the livre due to accessibility, and you never hear about flex issues

It’s not just inward force, it’s the other forces ie outward force/ twisting ect. It’s the fact that the handle flexes in general that you should be worried about. I know far more people who use varials over the cheep china gomexus handles who flat out ripped off the DRT/WCZ Flat knob. I also wouldn’t say accessibility either, varial handles as of late have been very very easy to get ahold of via Drt usa and the SU collab.

21 minutes ago, Bassmann86 said:

It’s not just inward force, it’s the other forces ie outward force/ twisting ect. It’s the fact that the handle flexes in general that you should be worried about. I know far more people who use varials over the cheep china gomexus handles who flat out ripped off the DRT/WCZ Flat knob. I also wouldn’t say accessibility either, varial handles as of late have been very very easy to get ahold of via Drt usa and the SU collab.

Great but that’s not a functional test. I’d like to know how many people notice flexing in the handle while they’re fishing, I’ve never heard anyone complain about it.  Also, I meant accessible in the context of cost.

Nobody in this thread seems to care about that these are blatant knock offs of someone else’s hard work. Those cheesy Facebook flat knobs and shiny pot metal handles would have never sold without the following that DRT and WCZ built. Big overseas companies taking money out of small business owners pockets. Small businesses that actually care about this forum, it’s consumers, and our community. Pretty sad. 

4 hours ago, _freddyroots said:

Nobody in this thread seems to care about that these are blatant knock offs of someone else’s hard work. Those cheesy Facebook flat knobs and shiny pot metal handles would have never sold without the following that DRT and WCZ built. Big overseas companies taking money out of small business owners pockets. Small businesses that actually care about this forum, it’s consumers, and our community. Pretty sad. 

Preach. It’s already been stated above about ripping off DRT/WCZ. It’s sad that people would rather support a china knock off vs just saving up a little more for the real deal backed by a great company. 

IMG_4510.jpeg

Edited by Bassmann86

I think it’s really corny to knock Down what someone has over some overzealous loyalties. I’ve had both i can go grab my varial and do the same thing do I think they’re trash? No bc I don’t do that while I’m fishing. Is there a difference in quality? yes is it so drastic that it’s worth 140 plus dollars more ?  No. If you really care about function over form you would get a handle that has imperative advantages *cough studio composite cough*. If you have the money get what ever you want. I was made to feel like a Varial was a piece of equipment that I couldn’t live with out when In reality most people use it as a statement a flex almost. If you have gomexus handles/knobs I think you’re just as cool as the varial dudes. 

15 hours ago, Bassmann86 said:

Preach. It’s already been stated above about ripping off DRT/WCZ. It’s sad that people would rather support a china knock off vs just saving up a little more for the real deal backed by a great company. 

IMG_4510.jpeg

This is a badass handle/knob set up ! Nice job dude 

18 hours ago, Bassmann86 said:

IMG_4510.jpeg

Damn that thing is gnarly. I'm gonna have to pick up a Varial handle lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have gomexus, Varial, and hawgtech handles. One option that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread is taking a hawgtech 110 and replacing the knobs with drt/WCZ flats. I have done this with 2 reels (curado 201 and conquest 401) and really like how they turned out. Lighter and cheaper than a Varial, and the end product is nicer than a gomexus. Plus, there’s no “intellectual property” drama. I would definitely recommend using a little Loctite on the retaining screw of the hawgtech, though.

while the Varial handles are nice, they add quite a bit of weight and are priced like the rest of DRTs stuff ($300 for a plastic, mass produced bait, $35 for rubber knobs, etc)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 9:32 AM, Habitual_lip_ripper said:

Agreed I have two now and prefer them over the DRT based on price. Hawgtech is a great one too and my personal favorite. Their 120 mm carbon handle with the silicon knobs is f$kin money!!! I like that it reduces the weight being carbon as opposed to the heavy chunks of aluminum. Sometimes this helps balance a combo out (my megabass 4 piece travel rod is tip heavy and needs the aluminum handles to help combat that) I just recently grabbed the titanium 120mm handle from Gomexus and so far I’m really impressed. Looks are top notch and seems durable and light. Drt makes a quality product no doubt but the alternatives are no slouch’s either. Hawgtech is made right here in the USA too!!!

+1000 on hawgtech they have some great handles and amazing customer service 

On 5/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, Bugletube said:

I have gomexus, Varial, and hawgtech handles. One option that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread is taking a hawgtech 110 and replacing the knobs with drt/WCZ flats. I have done this with 2 reels (curado 201 and conquest 401) and really like how they turned out. Lighter and cheaper than a Varial, and the end product is nicer than a gomexus. Plus, there’s no “intellectual property” drama. I would definitely recommend using a little Loctite on the retaining screw of the hawgtech, though.

while the Varial handles are nice, they add quite a bit of weight and are priced like the rest of DRTs stuff ($300 for a plastic, mass produced bait, $35 for rubber knobs, etc)

Did you have to do any modifications to the DRT knobs to fit? Or was it a straightforward replacement?

• 7 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 3:35 PM, Bugletube said:

Did have to cut the knobs at the base a tiny bit to shorten

You got a picture of the end result bud? I have some hawgtechs lying around I’d love to try this on!