Suspending Glides

WUMFL

Yo SU! I fish a lot of somewhat shallow waters and need a glide that I can let sit for a bit without sinking too far or floating to the surface. I know a DRT will suspend with the right tune but does anyone make a good suspending glide? Thanks!

In the 6-8 inch range!

I have several custom suspending glides that will stay at depth according to how low or high your rod tip is when casting. Obviously a bomb cast will put them deeper in the 3’-4’ range. But they kill in the spring in very skinny water. The paint is gone and bare resin on the bottom of most from bank fishing over rocks, grass and stumps. They’re 9” Shad glides but unfortunately, the maker quit making baits about 6 years ago. They will sit at the exact same level in the water column as long as you like. They weigh in at 7.9oz if I remember correctly. But as water warms and becomes more buoyant, I do have to go up to 3X 3/0 hooks to keep them suspending. Otherwise they slowly rise or with 2/0 ST-36 hooks they are great floaters. But any true suspending bait will have to be tweaked with more or less weight depending on water temps. If for some reason I ever decide to let one go, I’ll hit you up. 

16 hours ago, Tpreston said:

Or just get floaters and use suspend strips

This is what I am currently experimenting with. I have a Baitsanity Antidote glidebait in the super slow sinking version. It sinks way too slow for me and fished more like a floater/heavy float depending on how fast I was working the bait and how high I had my rod tip. I was kind of bummed out that the bait floated too much and would not swim deeper, so I ended up having to add storm suspenstrips to make it sink faster and suspend in deeper water on a long cast. 

It would seem like there is only 2 ways to go about it as far as making a bait suspend is concerned. You can either...

A. Get a bait that is either a floater/heavy floater or super/extra slow sinking and use Storm suspenstrips, Zappu board weights, Gan Craft sinking helpers or lead wire around the shank of the hooks. 

...or...

B. Get a bait that is a moderate to fast sinker and use Zappu floating boards. 

I fish nothing but shallow urban ponds from the bank. These ponds are no more than 5-6 feet. Therefore, I have to be very cautious about sink rates on my baits since I don't want them to sink too fast and go to deep and possibly get snagged and lose my baits. Therefore, I have found it easier to just buy baits that are floaters or extra/super slow sinking and just use storm suspenstrips to get the bait to sink at just the right speed and hopefully suspend. I might give the zappu floating boards a try also on some faster sinking baits just to see what they do to the bait. 

Edited by DEPS_250

Right there’s tons of ways to tune a bait. You can get a slow sink and lighten the hardware, drill weight, use boards, make a floater sink with tungsten putty, wrap hook shanks with lead wire, use strips, etc. but like @chevro1et said you have to tune to water temp which varies daily. Also a lot of baits are finicky with line weight, line material, snaps, etc. that’s what makes tuning fun to me is it constantly changes and there’s a thousand ways to do it. It makes you think of your bait as an instrument that needs to be tuned and adjusted every time you use it for the best performance.

I have some HPH that suspend and others brands.

You you know a bait marker maybe ask to see if they can make you something custom.

Or start with a floater or XXS and change rings or add Storm lead strips around the hook shanks. Maybe just a half of strip depends on your water temperature.

Can also they using braid which will help keep the bait up and a high rod tip will also. Just remember to reel down and lower that tip first to get a good hook set.