Deadasticking

Lucas

My first hudd fish and first VA citation taken on a swimbait was caught deadsticking a ROF12 68 Special with a BB rig. I cast it out right on top of a saddle point that sat at ~20 ft of depth and that had ~35-40 feet of depth on two sides of it and came all the way up to 8 ft of depth on another side of it. I let it settle on the saddle point and only had to wait about 2 minutes before she picked it up.

Hope this helps someone!

Some years back there was a trade show in Orlando and a couple of people I knew asked me to set up a fishing trip. These guys were really not very experienced fishermen but had heard you could catch big Florida bass on shiners. I contacted guide Larry Fetter (not sure if he is even still guiding now) and he took us out on Stick Marsh. He would only do either 100% shiners or 100% artificials, and since the other guys weren't experienced casters we went the shiner route.

Larry anchored around the flooded citrus trees and we would toss out live 10" wild shiners under balloon bobbers. However he would also set up one rod in a holder with a special bait. He would take a live shiner, step on the head, and inject air into it to make it float. He also used fly line dressing on the mono to make it float. The dead shiner would be tossed out and left to float near one of the treetops. We never got a hit on the deadstick floater bait until it had been in one spot for at least 15 minutes. We caught a lot of 3 to 5 pound fish on the live shiners but the 2 best fish were between 7 and 8 pounds and both took the deadstick floater. Larry's theory was that even when the big girls weren't actively feeding it irritated them to have this deadstick floating above their heads until they would finally just attack out of annoyance.

After deadsticking and after the line sinks below the surface pop the lure off of the bottom with a fast upward twitch and begin your retreive. Steady with absolutely no pauses. I am speaking about an 8 " hudd rof 12.

• 1 year later...

On top, I love an Arm or a lipless Freestyle. Both are fantastic deadstick baits. I wish I had the patience to do it more.

My floating eight inch FS Trout (shad pattern) is hypnotic in a very light breeze. Looks like a big shad that's worn out and is not long for this world.

I've been having a lot of luck with a lure I designed to deadstick. Floats on its side but does crank/wake back nicely.

post-24776-0-92441600-1469620455_thumb.jpg

Actually had a blast with it in a quick 30 min session last evening (under 10.C and pouring rain). Had at least 8 swirls/knocks and managed to land 2 good fish.

post-24776-0-18593500-1469620406_thumb.jpg

A few weeks ago this sneaky fish had 5 'slurps' at the lure before eventually getting hook. I suspect it was just nipping the tail to take the bait down before engulfing it. My new model has the back hook right at the tail to catch these sneaks.

post-24776-0-05338400-1469620397_thumb.jpg

Do you prefer a hardbait with trebles or something soft with the hooks hidden? Do the fish care? Colors?  Styles?

Also, what times of year/water temps do you find most effective?

Imo one of the best deadstick baits are super slow sinking or neutrally buoyant glide baits. Try to get in the mindset of fishing a oversized rip bait in the dead of winter or big fluke in the dead of summer. Both are really good big fish techniques. Just need to figure out the location and length of pause. Main lake points in the winter and big deep tree's/weeds in summer.

That being said the fish in my avatar was caught with a rof 5 8" hudd in stained water out of 15-20' after about a 10 minute deadstick. I caught another the following week on the same angle. Biggest point in the lake on the wind blown side in prespawn. Fluorocarbon or braid with long fluoro leader (20'-25') allows you to stay in contact fairly well, but you still have to knead your line. 

Imo one of the best deadstick baits are super slow sinking or neutrally buoyant glide baits. Try to get in the mindset of fishing a oversized rip bait in the dead of winter or big fluke in the dead of summer. Both are really good big fish techniques. Just need to figure out the location and length of pause. Main lake points in the winter and big deep tree's/weeds in summer.

That being said the fish in my avatar was caught with a rof 5 8" hudd in stained water out of 15-20' after about a 10 minute deadstick. I caught another the following week on the same angle. Biggest point in the lake on the wind blown side in prespawn. Fluorocarbon or braid with long fluoro leader (20'-25') allows you to stay in contact fairly well, but you still have to knead your line. 

When you say "Rip bait" what do you mean specifically?