Line diameter vs Casting Distance

Bass the east

I’m toying around the idea of trying some new line simply to achieve further casting distance. I have been running p line ultimate fluorocarbon, big game mono, and p line cxx copolymer. I run multiple reels with all three types of line for each of their specific benefits. The lines I am using are relatively thick in diameter.

20lb big game mono .457

17lb p line cxx .41

20lb p line floro .41

Now I have not had a single issue with these lines. Am noticing that there are much thinne 20lb lines like Sunline natural mono, p line original copoly, and Sunline fc sniper. These lines are all under .37 My question is will I be sacrificing line strength and reliability with these thinner lines? And is it worth the extra casting distance? 

On my cranking rods I run ten meters of shock leader to a eight carrier braid backing for added casting distance. Once the mainline is out of the guides it really sails. 16lb shock to 30lb braid for anything an ounce or less. 20lb to 40lb for anything up to 2 oz. and anything heavier than that I prefer straight mono or fluoro so I don't have to worry about backlashing below the connection knot and snapping off the whole mainline. Really any baits I'm focused on really bombing out there to reach stuff other anglers aren't touching aren't true swimbaits since most jointed and soft swimbaits don't excel at distance casting.

For pike and saltwater stuff (8-12oz.+) Sunline's Monster Battle braid and tapered leaders are the sh-t. Really the only line system I feel like I can aggressively cast a giant glide on all day without snapping off. That said the tapered leaders all have 100lb diameter tips, which isn't ideal for bass fishing. Sunline came out with the Tepa tapered leaders this year, which are light enough to be useful for bass fishing, but too short to be useful, and only available in fluoro. If they came in at least five meter lengths in both mono AND fluoro they would be useful AF and I'd use them for swimbait fishing. Sadly most bass anglers are only confused by the Tepas leaders and I imagine sunline will drop the product in the next year or two.

Lightest line/setup you can get away with is the move imo. Not even gonna lie the jdm big bait scene is what inspired this after starting with a 400 size reel on recommendation from a lot of old school swimbaiters (butch brown always swore by that old Calcutta 400). Your casting distance is affected by many factors but a big one is the weight of the spool so the bigger the spool with a ton of line on it is sacrificing spool inertia, the bigger/heavier the bait the less this is a factor. I’m doing 16lb seaguar or sunline fc on anything under 3 oz from now on and switched to a 150 size reel, never going back lol. 100 yards of line is all you will ever need for bass fishing

6 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

Your casting distance is affected by many factors but a big one is the weight of the spool so the bigger the spool with a ton of line on it is sacrificing spool inertia, the bigger/heavier the bait the less this is a factor

Shallow spools like the Daiwa HLC models are awesome, I've got a 1516 on my Ryoga 1520 and it casts like a rocket!

13 minutes ago, Jon P said:

On my cranking rods I run ten meters of shock leader to a eight carrier braid backing for added casting distance. Once the mainline is out of the guides it really sails. 16lb shock to 30lb braid for anything an ounce or less. 20lb to 40lb for anything up to 2 oz. and anything heavier than that I prefer straight mono or fluoro so I don't have to worry about backlashing below the connection knot and snapping off the whole mainline. Really any baits I'm focused on really bombing out there to reach stuff other anglers aren't touching aren't true swimbaits since most jointed and soft swimbaits don't excel at distance casting.

For pike and saltwater stuff (8-12oz.+) Sunline's Monster Battle braid and tapered leaders are the sh-t. Really the only line system I feel like I can aggressively cast a giant glide on all day without snapping off. That said the tapered leaders all have 100lb diameter tips, which isn't ideal for bass fishing. Sunline came out with the Tepa tapered leaders this year, which are light enough to be useful for bass fishing, but too short to be useful, and only available in fluoro. If they came in at least five meter lengths in both mono AND fluoro they would be useful AF and I'd use them for swimbait fishing. Sadly most bass anglers are only confused by the Tepas leaders and I imagine sunline will drop the product in the next year or two.

Dude that’s some advanced level stuff! Lol

15 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

Dude that’s some advanced level stuff! Lol

I'd probably cast off less baits if I just stuck to mono and didn't fiddle with my brake settings 

What @brootalititties said. Spool weight can really make the difference, that being said I believe braid backing really helps with casting distance if you like running straight mono or Fluoro. I run 50lb braid as backing on almost all my reels then just fill the spool the rest of the way with my choosen line. 

I went through this at one point.  Ultimately I just decided to buy 400 size reels and use 30lb big game.  Before the change, I was running 80lb braid to 30lb big game, still think B2L is the best way to topwater fish.  Another realization I had was, big game may not be the best line in the world, however it was inexpensive so I didn't mind changing out my reels every week to keep fresh line in demand.  

Edited by SacPig916

I still the think the reel is more important. Those first generation curado 300s were casting marvels with any diameter line but they lacked cranking power....With a long rod you feasibly should be able to get away with very low diameter lines, since the rod is doing most of the work. But once the rod is not bent, the line strength becomes more important. I learned that lesson flyfishing for trout. If you have to grab the line, the fish has the advantage then. 

Of you're considering a different copoly, have a look at the Varivas Absolute BBM. It's a low diameter, low stretch copoly and really a new innovation in nylon line. I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but @Jim137a does. Hopefully he will chime in here. 

1 hour ago, chevro1et said:

Of you're considering a different copoly, have a look at the Varivas Absolute BBM. It's a low diameter, low stretch copoly and really a new innovation in nylon line. I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but @Jim137a does. Hopefully he will chime in here. 

I tested it last year and really liked it. Super low stretch, no memory so it lays really nice on the reel and casts very well. 20# line is .37 mm

The only reason I haven’t switched to it yet is I have 2 spools of Izorline cxxx that are 2670 yards - so I literally have a few miles of line to burn through. 

IMG_9729.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

I tested it last year and really liked it. Super low stretch, no memory so it lays really nice on the reel and casts very well. 20# line is .37 mm

The only reason I haven’t switched to it yet is I have 2 spools of Izorline cxxx that are 2670 yards - so I literally have a few miles of line to burn through. 

IMG_9729.jpeg

Do you run a clear leader to account for the solid red color or just run it straight?