Favorite rat qualities

Brian C

What are specific things you like on a rat? Certain swims, sounds, profiles, way it sits in the water, number of pieces? I've only thrown a spro rat and want to build some. Just wondering peoples favorite qualities to try out. 

I like different qualities based on condition. These are just my observations, these are my favorites and they all have their place in my line up. 

I like a rat that makes noise, like a deep knock on the joint or a squeaky joint. There’s so many options out there so you should get a lot of feedback, if guys chime in. I like my rats to wake or swim just under the surface, unless I’m fishing a crankdown version for a reason. 

cl8 baby possum has a dope knock and the more you use it the “squeaker” it gets. Excels in rougher windy conditions when fished more aggressively. But you can also slow creep it on calm nights and the hits are vicious. Clayton also makes a crankdown version that crushes. 

Illude gerbil (resin 2 piece version) calmer water bait, walks insane, swims great with an awesome knock, really only swims on a slow retrieve, I do a lot of pauses and walks, then slow short retrieve, repeat.

nez large and xl 2 piece, this is my go to for calm water, super subtle swim, low knock, swims at a crawl to a medium retrieve. Love fishing this around reeds and grass, gets absolutely smashed 

toxic mink, probably the best overall rat around, wakes or cranks down depending on retrieve, walks, pops, wakes, cranks, doesn’t wash out if you speed it up. I’ve caught more 2-4lb fish on this bait than any other rat over the years. Comes thru reeds/weeds really well too. He makes a wake only and few other versions. 

illude xl zombie, the biggest one of the group, for its size it gets bit from dinks and giants, had two epic nights on it, knocks super loud and only wakes. At 9-9.5oz it’s not a bait I throw a lot or often but it has its place. I find all his other rats crankdown and don’t wake enough for me at least the resin versions. 

one thing I find with rats is some years it’s all I can get bit on, and other years like 2023 I can’t buy a rat bite at all (but a slammer or gill wake will smash em), I’ve talked to a few other people that have also experienced the same thing. Not sure what that’s all about. 

if you haven’t watched it go watch @Cesarfrom toxic baits “rat bite theory” video, so much good insight in that video. 

IMG_9209.jpeg

IMG_9208.jpeg

IMG_9195.png

IMG_9194.png

IMG_9192.png

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_6781.png

IMG_9745.jpeg

IMG_9074.jpeg

IMG_8808.jpeg

Let’s see, for me I like a “rat” to swim “true”, meaning zero to minimal body roll. To have a nice hunting action so to speak. 
One that can be creeped on top at a slow retrieve. But at a medium retrieve will dive just subsurface, like true wake. If you ever seen a rat swim in nature they tend to dive and emerge as they swim. So trying to emulate the natural swimming action would be a plus. 

Definitely should have a nice “knock” sound to it, to call fish from a distance. 
I tend to favor natural colors like browns, but you can’t go wrong with straight black or white. 

Profile in a simple, basic body shape. 2pc body is a staple in my book. But the larger profile of a 3pc is also good to show a larger profile. 

Most rats I’ve seen or used have been joined together with eyebolts. I would be curious to see one with a molded “piano hinge” design so to speak. I can’t recall seeing one like that, but would be interesting and different. 

i built a two piece, and  three piece, definitely different tools in the box. Gotta one piece in progress now, to fit a different niche.

"prefer" - that would depend on where/when/weather/what im feeling like

Cl8 cranking baby possum is my go to rat bait, It gets smoked here in MA.  The other rat that gets smoke in calm water is an old kincannon 4pc I have, very subtle swim so a lot of folks don't like it. I have a toxic mink but I have yet to get bit on it. Cl8 muskrat gets smoked too but don't let the small size sway you away from it, elephants eat peanuts too.

I fish a Woodrow 2 piece. The V-cut and wood material gives an "average" action (not subtle, not aggressive) and a distinct sound profile. Gets bit under pretty much any conditions if you're willing to grind with it exclusively on a given day. 

22 hours ago, urbanhick said:

Cl8 cranking baby possum is my go to rat bait, It gets smoked here in MA.  The other rat that gets smoke in calm water is an old kincannon 4pc I have, very subtle swim so a lot of folks don't like it. I have a toxic mink but I have yet to get bit on it. Cl8 muskrat gets smoked too but don't let the small size sway you away from it, elephants eat peanuts too.

I fish Q, toxic mink in the wind cranking for smallies is one of my favorites. 

IMG_0602.jpeg

B8206160-8348-46A6-9614-592C0ED015D9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bassturds said:

I need to start tossin rats more. I have the CL8 baby possum. Haven’t gotten bit on it yet but haven’t thrown it much. 

Absolutely you should. Almost becomes an addiction to fish once you get dialed in on a rat bite. 
Bonus: you already have a proven bait already in your arsenal. 

1 hour ago, Mossyback Angler said:

Absolutely you should. Almost becomes an addiction to fish once you get dialed in on a rat bite. 
Bonus: you already have a proven bait already in your arsenal. 

I’m going to work on that! 

How many remember the Molix Hollow Body Rat ?

I don’t think it ever made it to production, but the concept looked like it had promise with a little bit of work. 
To this day I have not seen another multi joint, hollow body rat bait. (Probably for good reason)

Edited by Mossyback Angler