Making Baits Sink Slower and/or Suspend

DEPS_250

What other methods and/or techniques are there to make a sinking bait sink slower and/or suspend? In order to make my sinking baits sink slower and/or suspend, I change out the stock hooks for smaller and lighter hooks. I also use a heavier/thicker line.  

Smaller and lighter hooks seem to work well for most of my baits. On the other hand, I really don't like using thick and heavy line in order to slow the fall. I have found that a thick line kills the action too much.

I am trying to find another way to make my baits sink slower while also using lighter and thinner line. I have heard of guys actually modding their baits by drilling holes into the baits themselves in order to remove excess weight. I don't know about those guys but I am not willing to mod my baits to that extreme of a level and mess them up and than not be able to get them back to original form/function. 

Edited by DEPS_250

• DEPS_250 changed the title to Making Baits Sink Slower and/or Suspend

There are foam strips u can use too. I forget the name, but I'm sure u can use any foam tape. 

I had an xss beast mode glide that I wanted to float and I had to use the foam. But some end up peeling off and I'd have to reapply new pieces after I let the bait dry at home. 

U can see the foam in the pics and how some were coming off. U can see how much I used in the second pic how much foam I used. It aint pretty but the fish didn't care. Excuse the busted joint pin, it's since been fixed

20230901_204831.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_003313_Gallery.jpg

Edited by SumoNinja

13 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

There are foam strips u can use too. I forget the name, but I'm sure u can use any foam tape. 

Zappu Floating Board. 

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zappu_Floating_Board/descpage-ZFB.html

10 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

I had an xss beast mode glide that I wanted to float and I had to use the foam. But some end up peeling off and I'd have to reapply new pieces after I let the bait dry at home. 

U can see the foam in the pics and how some were coming off. U can see how much I used in the second pic how much foam I used. It aint pretty but the fish didn't care. Excuse the busted joint pin, it's since been fixed

20230901_204831.jpg

So much foam!!! It ain't stupid if it works.

I actually do know about the Zappu floating board foam strips. I just never thought of them as being necessary until now. I always gravitate towards buying 'floating' hardbaits most of the time if I can get them, since they are more versatile and let you weight them to slow float, suspend or slow sink at the rate that you like.

On the other hand, I have a few sinking baits that just sink too fast no matter what I do. Looks like I am going to have to get the Zappu floating boards now. 

9 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I've had a pack in my terminal tackle drawer for a long minute now, never ended up using it yet. 

Key word: “yet” :-D

I think most if not all of us have some terminal tackle or lure we had to have, but never got a chance to use. :-D

4 hours ago, Process77 said:

So much foam!!! It ain't stupid if it works.

I don't love it but it worked. And the bait got repaired and drilled by Paul and he made it a true floater now. So preferably I would rather to buy a true floater if I could versus using the foam 

And at night it don't matter but during the day it may or may not turn a fish off. 

I’ve used the Zappu foam boards and they work good, but the ones I got already had premade cutouts which I didn’t care for. I would have preferred to cut my own pieces to better fit the shape of each bait. They’re pretty much just thin strips of foam with a sticky adhesive backing. You could probably easily create your own. 

I think I am going to get some foam sheets from Joann that are 2mm thick. Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work for sticking pieces of foam sheet onto the baits?

I need an adhesive that is not permanent/removable but still strong/durable enough to withstand water contact (waterproof) and that is strong enough to handle the rigors of fishing swimbaits without the foam coming undone/coming off after a short amount of time?  

Will rubber cement work? Will some double sided tape work? 

15 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

I think I am going to get some foam sheets from Joann that are 2mm thick. Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work for sticking pieces of foam sheet onto the baits?

I need an adhesive that is not permanent/removable but still strong/durable enough to withstand water contact (waterproof) and that is strong enough to handle the rigors of fishing swimbaits without the foam coming undone/coming off after a short amount of time?  

Will rubber cement work? Will some double sided tape work? 

Nothing beats jizm

On 2/23/2024 at 12:31 AM, SumoNinja said:

What bait is that and/or Who makes it? Size and weight? Does it come in a floating version too? It looks sick. I need a custom bluegill glidebait to round out my collection of glidebaits. 

Edited by DEPS_250

1 hour ago, DEPS_250 said:

What bait is that and/or Who makes it? Size and weight? Does it come in a floating version too? It looks sick. I need a custom bluegill glidebait to round out my collection of glidebaits. 

He already told you.