Rod advice

dj1975232

Currently I have two setups, A Dobyns Fury 795 and a LDC SI XH.  I thought these would cover everything I fish but I'm leaning towards another rod in between these.  Now here is the question.  I also travel for work a significant amount all over the country and usually end up with some time on my hands.  I was thinking about picking up a travel rod that I could use to bring a couple baits with me and fish.  

Does a travel rod that fits in between these two make sense for travel and home use? The kind of baits I am thinking about traveling with are TK, K9, mid-size 2-3 oz glides, Gantarel, etc.  

I was looking at the MB Valkyrie World Expedition 7'11" XH.  Is the "up to" 5.25oz rating pretty accurate or overestimated like a Dobyns?  

Is there another travel rod I should take a look at that breaks down to a similar size as the MB?

Is this a poor idea to bridge the gap between my current set ups with this idea?

The Valkyrie VKC-711XH-4 is a great rod for treble hook baits. I regularly throw Baitsanity Gill glide, TK, K9, and Wade Hoggs on it with no problem. It is too parabolic for Beast hooks tho. 

If you're wanting something that can work for treble or Beast hook baits, the Leviathan Daily is a good option. 

I'm leaning toward the MB XH.  Do you feel this rod would span the gap between my two current rods?  The other rods sound great but I like the compactness of the four piece.   

Leviathan makes their “The Daily” 3 piece travel rod which would definitely cover the lure range you’re after. They also offer a travel tube or a really slick case (that could also hold reels/baits.

https://www.leviathanrods.com/shop/1swimbait/daily-travel-swimbait-casting-rod/

8 hours ago, Riley_22 said:

I have a MB valkyrie H, and I wouldn't recommend it for any soft baits, but Its great for the K9, and under, great TK rod too. 

Is that the 7'8" model?  Are you at the ragged edge of it's range with the K9?

15 hours ago, dj1975232 said:

Is that the 7'8" model?  Are you at the ragged edge of it's range with the K9?

Yes the 7'8" I wouldn't throw anything more on it than a k9, but it doesn't feel like its going to explode on me. 

dobyns also makes a 3pc line, the Kaden series. if you can find a similar taper to the champ 806/807 that would be my recommendation. megabass is overrated imo. I only own 2, and I've had issues with QC. if you can find one for cheap that's great, but they are overpriced especially if you buy from a US dealer. Most japanese rods (made in Japan or not) can be found on websites, like JDM TACKLE HEAVEN, DIJITAKA, ect for 50-100 dollars cheaper.

On 3/20/2024 at 11:43 AM, Riley_22 said:

dobyns also makes a 3pc line, the Kaden series. if you can find a similar taper to the champ 806/807 that would be my recommendation. megabass is overrated imo. I only own 2, and I've had issues with QC. if you can find one for cheap that's great, but they are overpriced especially if you buy from a US dealer. Most japanese rods (made in Japan or not) can be found on websites, like JDM TACKLE HEAVEN, DIJITAKA, ect for 50-100 dollars cheaper.

Does anyone have experience with the Kaden travel rods?  I can find any legit reviews online and the Dobyns site isn't very descriptive.  

4 hours ago, dj1975232 said:

Does anyone have experience with the Kaden travel rods?  I can find any legit reviews online and the Dobyns site isn't very descriptive.  

There’s a video on YouTube with Gary talking about all his rods. It’s a long 3 hour video and I’m pretty sure he goes over every rod including the Kaden series. Look up “hella bass” on YouTube and you’ll find it