Timing of swimbait usage.

Darin MacEachern

For years I have stuck to mostly the same system of fishing. It is in my comfort zone. Topwater in the morning and in heavy cover, worms in the afternoon and mix in swimbaits. My patience gets tested when fishing sb as I often go an hour or more without getting a fish. Often times I get similar fish by throwing baits I am used to. That being said how many of you get tired of throwing it for periods of time and how do you know when it's just time to move on. I mean with larger swimbaits.

I guess I'm opposite end of the spectrum from you. I have fished since I was little and still tournament fish heavily. I picked up big swimbait fishing for one reason: huge fish. I have been fishing for a DD for a few years and finally decided to go all in with big swimbaits. When I pick one up, I'm only throwing it. I don't care much about catching a few dinks. I'm fishing for one bite.

I'll throw it for a while day, a whole weekend, a whole week.

It's also a great break from tournament fishing for me. I get burned out sometimes fishing so hard for 5 solid fish across the SE. Sometimes I just need a break, and swimbait fishing gives that to me.

Just helps that swimbait fishing has helped in tournament fishing a little.

So to sum up my ramblings: when I go big swimbait fishing, I refuse to put it down. It's helped me learn quicker on how to catch fish on them

I guess I'm opposite end of the spectrum from you. I have fished since I was little and still tournament fish heavily. I picked up big swimbait fishing for one reason: huge fish. I have been fishing for a DD for a few years and finally decided to go all in with big swimbaits. When I pick one up, I'm only throwing it. I don't care much about catching a few dinks. I'm fishing for one bite.

I'll throw it for a while day, a whole weekend, a whole week.

It's also a great break from tournament fishing for me. I get burned out sometimes fishing so hard for 5 solid fish across the SE. Sometimes I just need a break, and swimbait fishing gives that to me.

Just helps that swimbait fishing has helped in tournament fishing a little.

So to sum up my ramblings: when I go big swimbait fishing, I refuse to put it down. It's helped me learn quicker on how to catch fish on them

Me exactly! I tournament fish a lot, and primarily throw "conventional" baits while doing so. "Free" days are my swimbait days. That's what I'm throwing all day. I may have 4-6 swimbaits rigged up and cycling through them, but you sure won't see a shaky head on deck. (I do occasionally throw swimbaits during tournaments on certain lakes, but in eastern ohio, we don't have a bunch of "swimbait friendly" water that hold tournaments)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the response. It is always great to get input. I fish the slop here in Massachusetts, either on top or punching through the mat. I'm not tired if it but everyone does it and the bigger fish are getting harder to catch that way.

Im having a hard time as well commiting to swimbaiting full on. The lake i fish my buddies already been fishing since the 70s and 80s. Me on the other hand just started 3 yrs ago. They say this lake is the hardest lake to fish in the area for anything even durrig tourneys they do horrible. Now inherriting many valuable honey holes through my buddies the success is crazy good! My pb so far is a 13lb and i lost one last year that was way wayy yy bigger than that :( . I really want a huge bass on swimbait gear but the big ones usually bite the smallest lures,,,idk. Think im worried ill loose a chance at a monster if i fully make a switch

With all that being said from me. I start out throwing a big swimbait and come back with a nice huge bass from a worm or small jig bye the end of the day. And every time i go its the huddleston or tt but over time -the day goes bye and i change to different methods that are tried and proven. Im not giving up on swimbaiting just chasing big fish with whatever it takes to get em i guess

If you are having a tough time and wanting to commit just leave your conventional stuff at home next outting. You'll learn more since you won't be tempted to use your other gear. It is tough to do at first especially when you come back empty handed but it's all part of the game.

If you are having a tough time and wanting to commit just leave your conventional stuff at home next outting. You'll learn more since you won't be tempted to use your other gear. It is tough to do at first especially when you come back empty handed but it's all part of the game.

^that hits the nail on the head. Leaving the conventional rods home is hard, but necessary at the beginning.

My first swimbait rod sat in its rod holder for a solid 3-4 months when I first started carrying it on my kayak. It was too easy to get discouraged after an hour or two of no fish, and to fall back on confidence techniques.

Having said that, you don't need to "all out" commit to swimmers immediately if that's not in your comfort zone. I eased into it. I would alternate days where I'd only bring swimbait gear, with days where I had swimbaits and conventional setups in the boat. Over time, leaving conventional gear on the deck became easier and easier as I became more comfortable with my swimbait setups, and as I became more and more addicted to swimbait bites.  

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to abandon your comfort zones. You mentioned you like fishing topwater in the morning, and then worms in the afternoon. Just fit swimbaits into that rhythm. You can throw wakes, floating hardbaits or punkers in and around cover in the morning, and then bounce around hudds or mission fish off the bottom in the afternoon.

The mentality of fishing for 1-2 good bites is definitely an acquired taste. But catching fish on swimmers is like eating bacon. Everybody loves bacon.

LOL I have a problem putting down swimmers even when I know conventional is prob a better choice. I try and stick with big fish techniques not just big baits. But throw them because over the years they have proven to me they will produce big. Thats why its hard to put down swimbaits now, history. Keep on pushing and throwing swimbaits, sooner or later it will click, then.... good luck putting em down

Thanks guys, I appreciate the response. It is always great to get input. I fish the slop here in Massachusetts, either on top or punching through the mat. I'm not tired if it but everyone does it and the bigger fish are getting harder to catch that way.

state record in mass is a 15 lber bro!! keep throwing and you will land a monster.

Im having a hard time as well commiting to swimbaiting full on. The lake i fish my buddies already been fishing since the 70s and 80s. Me on the other hand just started 3 yrs ago. They say this lake is the hardest lake to fish in the area for anything even durrig tourneys they do horrible. Now inherriting many valuable honey holes through my buddies the success is crazy good! My pb so far is a 13lb and i lost one last year that was way wayy yy bigger than that :( . I really want a huge bass on swimbait gear but the big ones usually bite the smallest lures,,,idk. Think im worried ill loose a chance at a monster if i fully make a switch

jeeeeeesus man. what state do you live in? been bass fishing almost 20 yrs and my pb is half that size. Lol

I fish in TX everythings bigger in TX. Funny thing is i started really fishing for what ever was biting and a few cambodians and lous took me in their group chasing big hybrid and i ran cross a few natives that were bass fishing one day,,,,now its a toss but when the coin flipped its a easy choise to be made